KingAirMan
Topic Author

Flying Over A Lake In A Small Airplane

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 pm

what is required to fly over a lake in a single engine airplane ? VFR and or IFR

Mir

RE: Flying Over A Lake In A Small Airplane

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:30 pm

Either you have FAA-approved flotation devices onboard or you have to say within gliding distance of land.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KFLLCFII

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Either you have FAA-approved flotation devices onboard or you have to say within gliding distance of land.

You're almost there.

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space

PART 91—GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES

§ 91.205 Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

(b) Visual-flight rules (day). For VFR flight during the day, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(12) If the aircraft is operated for hire over water and beyond power-off gliding distance from shore, approved flotation gear readily available to each occupant and, unless the aircraft is operating under part 121 of this subchapter, at least one pyrotechnic signaling device. As used in this section, “shore” means that area of the land adjacent to the water which is above the high water mark and excludes land areas which are intermittently under water.

This also applies to VFR Night, IFR Day, and IFR Night flight.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

SkyexRamper

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:24 pm

A simple response you'll get from most pilots: If it doesn't burn Jet-A then no way am I flying over it. Unless you're talking about a lake that is only 1-2 miles across and you're a few 1000 feet over it. But as for large bodies of water like the great lakes, you'd be stupid to fly a single piston over it. But I see many people who do.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

baron95

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 3):
A simple response you'll get from most pilots: If it doesn't burn Jet-A then no way am I flying over it. Unless you're talking about a lake that is only 1-2 miles across and you're a few 1000 feet over it. But as for large bodies of water like the great lakes, you'd be stupid to fly a single piston over it. But I see many people who do.

Really? I don't know any pilots that would give their answer. Every summer day in the US thousands of pilots fly single-engine aircraft over large bodies of water. Where I live, they fly from CT/NJ/RI/MA to Block Island, Long Island, Martha's Vineyard, etc. In the great lakes they fly to dozens of airports on small islands and on shore.

Flying single-engine piston aircraft (by far the most common aircraft type), is a managed risk activity, just like skiing, skydiving, single-pilot IFR flying on twin-engine airplanes,etc.

On a typical year, there are NO FATALITIES associated with ditching a single engine airplane due to engine mechanical failure.

So, please get your facts right, before you attribute words to "most pilots".

To answer the OP. You don't need anything that you wouldn't need on any other flight. Just make sure the plane is airworthy, properly maintained, sufficinetly fueled, and that the pilot is properly rated and current to operate the plane, and has a through weather briefing and studied all pertinent information for the flight.

That is all.
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

KELPkid

Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:03 pm

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 4):
On a typical year, there are NO FATALITIES associated with ditching a single engine airplane due to engine mechanical failure.

Not to say that it doesn't happen (within the past couple of years, I can recall a guy who was ferrying a PAC Fletcher from New Zealand going into the drink off of the coast of California), but this is generally a risk that not many single engine pilots feel comfortable taking.

I remember shooting the VOR approach at HQM (Hoquiam, Washington) when I was getting my instrument rating. My instructor asked me to momentarily flip up my Foggles...we were just about to turn inbound on the procedure turn, and were at 800 feet, probably about 3-4 miles from shore over the Pacific. He then proceeded to ask me what would happen were the engine to conk out right there. He then reminded me that, technically, flight instruction is a for-hire operation, and to please be a little more careful with my flight planning and/or execution next time around  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

baron95

Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 5):
a PAC Fletcher from New Zealand going into the drink off of the coast of California),

Due to fuel starvation, not mechanical failure. The result would have been the same if he was ferrying a 747 and ran out of fuel.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 5):
He then reminded me that, technically, flight instruction is a for-hire operation,

No it is not. Flight instruction is not "for hire" operation. I don't understand your flight instructor's comments. Was he implying that you violated any FARs? If so, he knowingly allowed you to fly in violation of an FAR, and the violation would go on his reccord.

Many, many airports are on or very near shore. Many, many have Inst app procedures with long overwater segments are low altitude.

Again, single engine mechanical engine failure is not even a blip on the radar as why pilots get killed on instrument approaches flying over water. You need to eliminate a lot more riskis, before you even start worrying about that one.

SkyexRamper

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 4):
So, please get your facts right, before you attribute words to "most pilots".

We obviously don't chat with the same pilots and as I pilot myself would never fly over a large body of water with a piston single. I'd rather take the longer route and not chance it.

airtran737

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 7):
We obviously don't chat with the same pilots and as I pilot myself would never fly over a large body of water with a piston single. I'd rather take the longer route and not chance it.

I took the 172 from C89 to GRR not too long ago. I was going to cut right over Lake Michigan, but got a bit scared. Airplanes make weird noises when you're flying at night over a large body of water. I chose to skirt the shoreline, cut down to Chicago, then to GYY and on up to GRR. It took a lot longer then I wanted to, but I'd rather be safe then drop into Lake Michigan on a nice October night when the water temp is about 50 degrees and it takes hypothermia about 10 minutes to set in.

Would I cross the Lake? Hell yes. On a nice sunny day.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

falstaff

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:07 am

I see small planes take off and land out of Grosse Ile, Michigan, ONZ, all the time. ONZ is on an island in the Detroit River. Sometimes the planes are heading to/from the direction of Lake Erie.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

RobertS975

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:12 am

If I was in a C172 that suffered an engine failure, ditching it along the shore line of a lake would be one of the better options... better than treetops or rough terrain for sure.

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:33 am

It's all about rationalising the amount of personal risk "you" wish to take in aviation. ...After all aviation would be short of a hell of a lot of magnificent heroes if they had not been willing to embrace the risk of flying over cold water in single piston engine planes.
"Lindberg" might well have succombed to hypothermia if he had gone down almost at any point on his famous 1927 flight from New York to Paris, and I feel sure that he would have known as much. ...But it is interesting to note that during the 1930's and when he was rich and famous that he continued to fly single piston engine aircraft across the North Atlantic.

baron95

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 7):

Fair enough. May I inquiry what airport you part of the country you normally fly out of? It may be true for example that pilots from the plains fear water as pilotes from the east (where I live) fear the Rocky Mountains. It is a matter of familiarity.

Almost the ONLY destination that can justify a flight in a light fixed gear single engine plane vs driving, is one that flyes over a large body of water to an island or such.

For example from the CT coast to Martha's Vineyard (MVY) is a 45 min flight on most single engine airplanes. If you drive, it takes 5 hours (summer) to get to Hyanis Port than 2 hrs to wait for an cross to the Island by ferry. Plane = nice day trip. Car = 2 days minimu with a lot of driving time.

So if you (without looking at the statistics that say that the risk of a SE plane ditching for any other reason other than fuel mismanagement by the pilot is insignificant) choose not to fly over water, you are limiting the utility of the plane for transportation.

You should also know that Flight Service Stations have special programs for planes crossing large bodies of water. They have one for Long Island Sound, the great lakes, etc. You basically report start of cross, end of cross, etc and stay in radio contact. If the engine fail, Coast Gard is in the air in less than 5 min. In the summer, it should be nothing more than an energetic swim.

So take that for what its worth. The risks are not as big as you fear. Please do some research and see if you reconsider. If you ever want to fly to MVY, let me know. I'll take you on a twin and you'll see the line of SE planes coming in.

2H4

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:25 am

I consider single-engine ops in hard IFR...particularly at night...a lot more risky than overwater routes during the warm months.

Overwater flights during the cold months, however....  cold 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

baron95

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 13):
Overwater flights during the cold months, however....

Unless such boddy of water is frozen solid, right - then it could be fun - land anywhere.

By the way, I am assuming that this entire thread assumes a piston-single-engine-land plane right? The title of the thread mentions small airplane (which is a category that includes even a King Air C90 or B200 multi-engine turboprop). Not to mention, it covers sea planes and anphibiam airplanes that would have no problem landing (and staying afloat) on a lake.

2H4

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:38 am

Just to be safe, I'm going to buy one of these:

Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

roseflyer

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:43 am

Unless you're talking about a lake that is only 1-2 miles across and you're a few 1000 feet over it. But as for large bodies of water like the great lakes, you'd be stupid to fly a single piston over it. But I see many people who do.

I have done a good amount of VFR flying in the Seattle area and fly over water constantly. I can't say that I'm a fan of the westbound VFR departure/arrival from Boeing Field since it involves flying over water for about 4 miles and you start out at only about 1,000ft and have a 3,000ft maximum altitude because of the Class B airspace of SEA.

A lot of pilots fly around over water and I have no problem with it if I am within gliding distance of water. I actually will intentionally fly over water rather than land since in the summer months, the air is smoother if you are at a lower altitude because there is less convection off of the ground. I always stay within gliding distance of land.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 am

I will tell you this for what it is worth. ..."I am absolutely bloody terrified of flying over cold water" ...Yet I have made 51 solo crossings of the North Atlantic in small single and twin piston engine planes. And I have painted a large part of this World on my memory, ...seen a thousand things that no jet pilot will ever see. "And it was worth the risk"

[Edited 2006-12-11 02:54:49]

SkyexRamper

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 8):
I took the 172 from C89 to GRR

HEHE..I started a checkout there in that 172, but the cfi was a dick and a cowboy pilot.

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 12):
Fair enough. May I inquiry what airport you part of the country you normally fly out of?

I fly out of MWC, north end of Milwaukee County.

So if you (without looking at the statistics that say that the risk of a SE plane ditching for any other reason other than fuel mismanagement by the pilot is insignificant) choose not to fly over water, you are limiting the utility of the plane for transportation.

You basically report start of cross, end of cross, etc and stay in radio contact.

it should be nothing more than an energetic swim.

With all that yes, true the straight line is gone but flying is still quicker than driving. Some people will take the chance but personally I'd never risk it. As for the swim...I'd never last with asthma, I have nothing for endurance in the water. Big grin

airtran737

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 18):
HEHE..I started a checkout there in that 172, but the cfi was a dick and a cowboy pilot.

Did you fly with Christian?
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:13 pm

Ferry pilots often fly wearing there immersion suits.

atct

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:22 pm

Flying out to Put-in-Bay n such you cant help but flying over open water. Personally I dont like doing it at low altitudes. Ive done it (N766UA can attest) but I prefer to zip up and over at a higher altitude. With SEL's its not worth the risk to go out of gliding distance. Im also personally not a fan of SEL at night. Done it many times, but not a fan of it.

If youre gonna fly over open water (away from land) id make sure you got at minimum what the FAA requires or more, and make sure youre topped off w/ two engines.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:59 pm

There is always some risk in aviation. ...Even in the 747 there is at least one instance where all four engines flamed out in cruise.
The way I see it is if an airliner ever survives a ditching on cold water, then any passengers left alive will have to be rescued in minutes or they will suffer the same fate as most of those who sailed on the Titanic. You actually need to be wearing an immersion suit as a defence against hypothermia in most of the water on the planet. ...Curious then that airlines provide life jackets, but nothing to guard against cold water.

baron95

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 20):
Ferry pilots often fly wearing there immersion suits.

In order to cross the Atlantic with any airplane that does not meet some "minimum capability/performance guarantees" you have to have special equipment aboard including but not limitted to to immersion suits that you have to keep on the whole time (at least up to your waist).

If flying from North America, your plane, flight plans, equipment has to be inspected by the Canadian CAA before you can launch.

As I said before, it is a managed risk activity. You managed the risk with risk mitigating procedures.

N723GW

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:11 pm

I don't know excatly what the rules are, however, they are posted now, but personally would NEVER go across a large body of water i.e. Lake Michigan with out 2 engines, period. A while back, there was a guy in his early 20's I beleive that was flying across the lake to MKE, and had engine problems, crashed and drowned a few miles of the Wisconsin coast. When I was flying, once we got out about a mile over the lake due to being asked to in the pattern and I just turned around. People do in fact do it all the time, but I think they are stupid as hell. But, that's my opinion, and if people think they can handle themselves at 3000ft with no engine 25 miles out from the coast, more power to them.
The dude abides

2H4

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:17 pm

Not that I'd choose to do it again, but when I crossed Lake Michigan in a 172, the window of time in which a safe glide to one of the shorelines was not assured only lasted about 10-15 minutes....

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:34 pm

.............................................corrected below.......................................

[Edited 2006-12-11 05:43:49]

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting N723GW (Reply 24):
When I was flying, once we got out about a mile over the lake due to being asked to in the pattern and I just turned around. People do in fact do it all the time, but I think they are stupid as hell. But, that's my opinion, and if people think they can handle themselves at 3000ft with no engine 25 miles out from the coast, more power to them.

So what do you think of all the military guys who are flying around in single engine fighters? ...Do you seriously think they stay within 25 miles of land? ...I'd be interested to see you call a bunch of fighter pilots stupid!

SkyexRamper

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 19):
Did you fly with Christian?

Yes...and on top of that he just crapped on me, wasn't professional what so ever.

crashed and drowned a few miles of the Wisconsin coast.

He did the stupid thing, flying a Piper Cherokee into a 40kt headwind after stopping at an FBO in main land Michigan and didn't take on more fuel.

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 26):
So what do you think of all the military guys who are flying around in single engine fighters? ...Do you seriously think they stay within 25 miles of land? ...I'd be interested to see you call a bunch of fighter pilots stupid.

Well in case you don't know but fighter jets burn Jet Fuel. (read my original post in this thread.) Modern turbine engines are more reliable compared to pistons. But then again they're not alone, they travel in squads with a KC-10 or KC-135 leading the way.

baron95

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:49 pm

personally would NEVER go across a large body of water i.e. Lake Michigan with out 2 engines, period. A while back, there was a guy in his early 20's I beleive that was flying across the lake to MKE, and had engine problems, crashed and drowned

And, if you checked the reason for the "engine problems" you'll find out 3 out of 4 times that it was due to fuel starvation or fuel mismanagement and would have doomed a twin-engine plane just the same. As a matter of fact, most twins have more complex fuel systems and have a much higher rate of fuel mismanagement than singles.

So, I can understand psychologically that 2 engines "feel safer" over water (I fly a twin-engine Baron almost exclusively now for that reason), but they may not be so. I respect the personal preferences expressed here, but I hope they are based, at least in part, on true risk assessments, not just "feelings".

beeweel15

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Quoting KingAirMan (Thread starter):
what is required to fly over a lake in a single engine airplane ? VFR and or IFR

MIN-ETOPS

SkyexRamper

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:59 pm

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 29):
but I hope they are based, at least in part, on true risk assessments

Yes..my life verse another $50 in flying cost...I'll take the scenic fly-by of Chicago any day.

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 28):

Well in case you don't know but fighter jets burn Jet Fuel. (read my original post in this thread.) Modern turbine engines are more reliable compared to pistons. But then again they're not alone, they travel in squads with a KC-10 or KC-135 leading the way.

There are many Air Force's in this World and I can assure you they dont all have tanker aircraft hanging around for them. Also military engines are often a lot less reliable than civilian engines. And a military pilot has a similar survival problem to anyone else if he ejects over cold water.

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 29):
So, I can understand psychologically that 2 engines "feel safer" over water (I fly a twin-engine Baron almost exclusively now for that reason), but they may not be so. I respect the personal preferences expressed here, but I hope they are based, at least in part, on true risk assessments, not just "feelings".

The Baron is one of my all time favourite planes, ...and I have ferried four of them from Europe back to the USA.

turnit56N

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:39 pm

I've flown over the Great Lakes several times and done the Florida-Bahama flight a few times in singles. Like every thing in aviation, it's all about planning. There is a risk involved in flying over large stretches of water, just like there are risks involved with flying around mountains, in the winter, or just flying. We plan and prepare before we fly to mitigate those risks. When flying over water, if you are aware of your fuel burn, the winds, distances, the airworthiness of your aircraft and give yourself a big safety margin there's hardly any more risk than flying over land. That said, I don't think I'd do several hours over water in a single. Still, assuming I have all of my safety equipment I think I'd rather ditch in the water between Florida and the Bahamas than face an engine-out landing in the mountains. When I did the Florida-Bahama crossing in a single I had a water-proof bag sitting practically in my lap with the safety equipment so I could grab it and get out if I had to ditch. Never came close to needing it.

Like everything in flying, it's all about being prepared. So, if you hop into a borrowed or rented plane without really verifying that it's actually in good shape, don't check the winds aloft, eyeball the fuel quantity, and use the rough burn numbers your friend told you were pretty much accurate and then take off to cross Lake Michigan at 500 feet without a handheld radio, flare, or life vest you are indeed a bold (and stupid) pilot. If you are flying an aircraft you know is airworthy with full tanks, know the winds aloft, use the appropriate charts to figure fuel burn, give yourself a generous fuel reserve, plan an appropriate route/altitude, file a flight plan, and carry safety equipment there's barely any more risk flying across the Lakes than there is flying from Cleveland to Dayton.

I did always cross at the narrowest point available over the Lakes and in the Islands. When I went to Key West I followed the Keys instead of cutting the corner from southwest Florida (a route that puts you over water for quite a while). I don't think there's much sense in being over water longer than you have to, but I also don't see the sense in avoiding flying because of a controllable risk.

And yes, airplanes do make funny noises when you think you're out of gliding distance from land.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

baron95

Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:07 pm

Quoting Turnit56N (Reply 34):
Like everything in flying, it's all about being prepared.

checkmark 

And yes, airplanes do make funny noises when you think you're out of gliding distance from land.

listen  crossfingers  listen 

N1120A

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:08 pm

If it doesn't burn Jet-A then no way am I flying over it. Unless you're talking about a lake that is only 1-2 miles across and you're a few 1000 feet over it.

Um, why? Before jets, gasoline burning radials were de rigeur for crossing the pond and took a hell of a lot longer to do it too. Further, do you think only singles burn Jet-A? There is thousands of twin engine 100LL burners that would disagree with you.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
Before jets, gasoline burning radials were de rigeur for crossing the pond

In November 2005 I ferried the actual aircraft below from Goose Bay in Canada via Greenland, Iceland and Scotland to it's new home at Bruntingthorpe in Great Britain. ...It is a classic 1951 beech18 equipped with two 450hp Pratt & Whitney radial engines. ...One of the most fun planes I have ever flown and probably the nearest thing I will ever get to flying a WW2 bomber.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

You can read the story which has also been published in PILOT magazine on my website at www.famousredplanes.com

ferrypilot

Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:54 pm

First leg from Goose Bay in Canada to Narsarsuaq in Greenland is 676 nautical miles.
Photo below of Narsarsuaq was taken by me from a Cirrus SR22 whilst climbing out on autopilot. ...Lots of deadly cold water to cross, but Greenland in particular is always a beautiful and spectacular place to see.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter hirst

SkyexRamper

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
There is thousands of twin engine 100LL burners that would disagree with you.

This thread is about SINGLE ENGINE airplanes. I have no problem with flying a twin piston over water.

sprout5199

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:48 am

I have flown over Lake Okeechobee(about 25 miles wide) in a C-152. The only thing my CFI said to do was climb to 5000 feet so I could glide to shore if need be. The oddest thing about that flight was the ceiling over land was about 5000 but over the lake it was unlimited. Like a big doughnut hole in the sky.

I have also been vectored about 5-6 miles off shore coming in to land at PBI's 27L.I was at 1500. I think they forgot about me, until I asked if we could turn towards the coast.

Dan in Jupiter

baron95

Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:12 am

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 37):
It is a classic 1951 beech18 equipped with two 450hp Pratt & Whitney radial engines. ...One of the most fun planes I have ever flown and probably the nearest thing I will ever get to flying a WW2 bomber.

My god, that is a great looking plane. Almost like a Baron with radial engines. Sweet. Thanks for posting the picture. What cruise speed did you get on the crossing? 175KTAS?

ferrypilot

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 41):

My god, that is a great looking plane. Almost like a Baron with radial engines. Sweet. Thanks for posting the picture. What cruise speed did you get on the crossing? 175KTAS?

I used approximately 160KTAS most of the time to conserve fuel. ...The 18 is about 10-15knots slower than a 58. Maybe because of extra drag from the radial engines. Control feel is reminscent of the Baron and it definitely feels like you are flying a Beech. For me Beech will always be way ahead of Cessna, Piper and Cirrus when it comes to building aeroplanes.

N1120A

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 28):
Modern turbine engines are more reliable compared to pistons.

You think a jet engine is more reliable than say a Porsche engine in a Mooney? Are you out of your mind?

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 39):
This thread is about SINGLE ENGINE airplanes. I have no problem with flying a twin piston over water.

You said "if it isn't burning Jet A".
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

threepoint

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:53 am

Still, assuming I have all of my safety equipment I think I'd rather ditch in the water between Florida and the Bahamas than face an engine-out landing in the mountains.

Great post - I decided to highlight this one comment to illustrate Baron95's remark about being familiar with your surroundings. I have the opposite comfort as you - I fly regularly with little apprehension over the Rocky Mountains in winter and would much rather face a forced approach scenario here than over even warm water. It's the uncertainty of getting out of the airplane once in the drink that sends shivers up my spine, particularly if it flips. Then again, treading water off Florida vs a remote survival situation in January at 7000' may indeed be preferable.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

bushpilot

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:59 am

I see this happen all the time in Alaska. Flying over some of the large lakes we have here like Iliamna, Clark, Aleknagik as well as over large inlets and bays. It happens regularly in single piston engine aircraft. Part of life out here.

flymatt2bermud

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:01 am

Yesterday I flew to Nassau and back in a Cessna 210. I think the longest overwater distance was 50 nm. As a precaution, I had my family & friends don their inflatable lifevests before we started out. Engine failures are pretty rare occurrence these days, particularly with properly and well maintained engines. In the event of a problem, the key to survival is being adequately prepared. Not to worry, as a further precaution I had a list of cruise ships NOT to allow the opportunity of a rescue due to the recent norovirus outbreak. Now that scares me because that CAN kill you.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

dw747400

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):
You think a jet engine is more reliable than say a Porsche engine in a Mooney?

If that is what he is saying than most folks would agree with him. Sure you can find a crap jet, but in general turbines beat pistons hands down in reliability.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

SkyexRamper

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:41 am

You think a jet engine is more reliable than say a Porsche engine in a Mooney? Are you out of your mind?

Nope, not out of my mind...I'd take P&W C any day.

You said "if it isn't burning Jet A".

Yes, most pilots I talk with wouldn't take a single piston over a large body of water but they'd have no issue taking a turbine powered SINGLE over the water ala Meridian, Jetprop, TBM, PC-12...etc.

ferrypilot

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:43 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 48):

Yes, most pilots I talk with wouldn't take a single piston over a large body of water but they'd have no issue taking a turbine powered SINGLE over the water ala Meridian, Jetprop, TBM, PC-12...etc.

An inexperienced pilot is a lot more likely to hurt himself with one of those turbine aircraft than he is with a piston engine aircraft. ...You have to take much more care with your operation of a jet engine than you do with a piston engine otherwise you won't experience that much vaunted reliability. The flame in a jet is like the flame on a candle, you had better not do anything dumb with it ...cos it can blow out! ...or even blow up!