INNflight
Topic Author

How Do You Make Time Fly By On The Flt Deck?

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:02 am

Very pleasant evening to all of you,

A question that kept me curious for quite a while now is how do you pilots spend all the time inflight? I of course know there is the ever occurring need of checking instruments and systems, maintaining contact with atc, etc etc etc, but I'm sure there are quite a lot of other things to make e.g. 12 hours go by?

I'm asking because I once joined a crew on a jumpseat flight and after a couple of hours into flight one of them was playing Madden on his Playstation Portable  Smile

Any favourites of yours?

Replies would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Florian
Jet Visuals

kaddyuk

RE: How Do You Make Time Fly By On The Flt Deck?

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting INNflight (Thread starter):
I'm asking because I once joined a crew on a jumpseat flight and after a couple of hours into flight one of them was playing Madden on his Playstation Portable

Laptops and portable DVD Players are often found up the front however a good friend of mine says there is nothing better than a good book...

But a 12hr flight is vastly reduced for pilots... they have 1hr 1.5hr for takeoff, getting established in the cruise... then dinner... there is a 3hr rest period (depending on sector and airline), then breakfast or lunch and another 1-1.5hrs before scheduled arrival you have preps for descent and approach/landing...

so your 12hr flight has 8hrs wasted and you're left with 4hrs to burn...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

SlamClick

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:51 am

Personally I never could stand to read on the flight deck. I have done it - someone hands me a magazine and says "read this" and for a few minutes the DME winds down unnoticed.

Down low I have never been bored. No, that's not true. In 1276 hours in Vietnam probably four hundred or so were spent "loitering" over one small patch of real estate. Trust me when I say that any ten thousand acres of rice paddy looks pretty much like any other ten thousand. I've been reduced to reading the parachute log. (repack - due date/repack - due date/repack-due date) Most of my low level flying (below FL180 has been interesting enough that I can't say I ever really got bored.

Transcontinental or transoceanic on the back side of the clock - let me just say I admire those folks at FedEx. I couldn't have made a career of that.

I could not say what I did to stay interested. I do think I have a higher tolerance for boredom or for lack of stimulation than just about anyone I know including most of the pilots I flew with. I'm bored but I don't mind that I'm bored.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

lowrider

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:20 am

Knowing that I am never more than 6 months from a checkride tends to keep my note cards and manuals close at hand. Once we are in cruise, required paperwork is a good way to kill a little time, and get done faster after landing. Jeppesen revisions are another. Sometimes we will play the "what if" game. What if we lost both engines right now? What if we lost all electrical right now? Figuring out where we will eat on the next overnight helps too. Sometimes you are just bored. Similar to what Slam said, Nebraska at night looks a lot like Texas at night, which looks a lot Iowa at night. Sometimes we do get the Northern lights to watch, and there have been a lot of meteors lately.
Proud OOTSK member

Starlionblue

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):
I could not say what I did to stay interested. I do think I have a higher tolerance for boredom or for lack of stimulation than just about anyone I know including most of the pilots I flew with. I'm bored but I don't mind that I'm bored.

I'm the complete opposite. Total ADD. I will bring a book in case I have to stand in line more than 5 minutes.

My wife, on the other hand, used to swim 6 hours a day, 6 days a week (with a meet on day #7). So she had to learn "boredom management" while doing laps. She has told me she either did coursework review (such as French verb conjugations) or just zoned out.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

flametech21

Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:07 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 4):
I'm the complete opposite. Total ADD. I will bring a book in case I have to stand in line more than 5 minutes.

You sound just like me. I'd rather get punched in the face than endure more than five minutes of boredom.  banghead 

I have found that it is never a good idea to do anything aviation related to keep you busy on the flight deck. It is too easy to get mixed up between what you're reading and what is going on in the flight deck. That is just aviation overkill!

My solution: Laptop. I take it on every trip. I write software as a hobby, and the gentle hum of turbofans at 35,000 ft makes for an ideal coding environment.

I guess if you get too bored you could always play the "guess that circuit breaker" game, where one pilot pulls a random CB and the other has to guess which one it is from the 20 EICAS warnings that just popped up...  rotfl 
They build them to a higher standard at Long Beach!

lincoln

Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting Flametech21 (Reply 5):
My solution: Laptop. I take it on every trip. I write software as a hobby, and the gentle hum of turbofans at 35,000 ft makes for an ideal coding environment.

I know of a guy in my line of work (independent Crestron/automation programming) who is a commercial long-haul pilot by day (I want to say Japan Airlines, but I could be way off). From what I understand about the guy, he programs in the air and then makes the site visit to load the code either during the layover or non-revs to the site.

It doesn't sound like a half-bad way of doing things to me....Then again, there are days when I'm glad that I'm sleeping in my own bed.

As a passenger, I often solve some of my toughest problems in seat 14F. I have ADD, and there's something about being locked in a metal tube for 5 hours with nothing but you and your laptop that helps you focus and solve the problem. You can't watch TV, you can't go out and walk around, you can't surf the web...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

futurecaptain

Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:44 pm

Well, I do most of my flying in Cessnas so outside of the big cities there really isnt alot of radio communication to handle, unless I decide for one reason or another to get flight following, and not alot of instruments to check, and double check.

If the plane has no autopilot keeping a hand of the wheel at least keeps me partially busy.

Tune the ADF to sports radio

Keep climbing to set a new personal altitude record(or find better winds)....on a recent flight I wrote about in trip reports I was near 13000 ft in a 172.

Talk on 123.45 if anyone is out there

Talk to ATC (flight following center) if it is a slow day

Hook up the MP3 adapter to the headset and listen to music

Watch the terrain, Oklahoma is very flat so seeing any kind of mountains around Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee is nice. Kansas corn fields are boring.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

HAWK21M

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:31 pm

Compose a few Emails for later Transmission.
Do some pending work.
Watch a Movie.
Chat with the Crew.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

onetogo

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:37 pm

This is a bit off topic, but I've always wondered how professional pilots keep their logbook times. Is there a Hobbs meter on large transport category jets? Do pilots keep their own logbooks, or is there some sort of automated system? How about determining night/actual/approach, etc. It seems to me that after landing the crew is off and running so fast to their next flight that they wouldnt even have time to update their logbook. Thanks in advance.

HAWK21M

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting Onetogo (Reply 9):
It seems to me that after landing the crew is off and running so fast to their next flight that they wouldnt even have time to update their logbook

Out here.Its the old fashion Book.
regds
MEL

CosmicCruiser

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:37 pm

I get bored on the long trips and generally prefer a book or good conversation. Talking seems to make the time fly fastest since reading at 0' dark thirty just tends to put me to sleep. I mix it up between light and serious books and that helps. Sometimes co. stuff just to stay up on things. I don't carry a laptop since the co. is supposed to issue them in the spring. But really most of the time anything between the first and last hour is boring. As someone said the northern lights are good entertainment and if some of you guys haven't tried photographing them that is fun and can take some time.

Starlionblue

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 6):
As a passenger, I often solve some of my toughest problems in seat 14F. I have ADD, and there's something about being locked in a metal tube for 5 hours with nothing but you and your laptop that helps you focus and solve the problem. You can't watch TV, you can't go out and walk around, you can't surf the web...

Agreed. Being forcibly cut off really makes some sort of breaker trip in my head. I can relax and read a good book, catch up on some TV shows, catch up on my email, write my expense reports...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

lowrider

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:47 pm

This is a bit off topic, but I've always wondered how professional pilots keep their logbook times. Is there a Hobbs meter on large transport category jets?

On some of them, yes, on others it is just the aircraft log or the ACARS times. I keep a small notebook on a leg by leg basis, then transfer it into my main logbook at home.
Proud OOTSK member

SlamClick

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:10 am

This is a bit off topic, but I've always wondered how professional pilots keep their logbook times.

Small planes: Hobbs meter keeps one sort of time; that is, engine run time or landing gear squat switch time. You learn which one your plane uses and adjust for that. For example, if it is weight-off-wheels then you can fairly log a tenth of an hour for each departure and a tenth for each arrival to cover the "aircraft moving under its own power..." part of the regs, added to the Hobbs total for the day. Some times it is forensic logging after the day is done. Kinda loose there.

Big airplanes pre-ACARS it was the job of the PNF or the job of the first officer to record OUT, OFF, ON and IN times.

Now ACARS records these events and you get a summary on screen or a printout at the end of each flight.

aviopic

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:13 am

I asked the same question to a friend of mine who does fly the long hauls, well actually I told him that he must have the most boring job in life.
His answer: "yes, all I do is just watching the fuel passing by". Big grin
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

SlamClick

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:47 am

There are lots of boring jobs. Most people have one - unless they really get into what they do. Boring jobs are one reason for office politics.

I had a rude passenger stick his head in to the flight deck once and ask "Is this all you guys do? Just run back and forth like this?" Not in the mood to do PR work I said we were going to the Virgin Islands next and asked him where was HIS office going today?

I spent nearly a year as a "strip puller in a stud mill" A stud mill is a sawmill that cuts nothing but eight-foot 2X4s. Wall studs. I stood at an outfeed table behind the edger and picked off the little strips at the edge of each "cant" that were not wide enough for the planer to make a 2X3 out of. I pushed these off into a conveyor that took them to the refuse burner. Eight hours a day, watching newly-sawn 2X4s go past.

Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? No!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? No!

Eight hours a day of this. Tuesday was identical to Monday was the same as September. The only variable was whether we were cutting redwood or fir or how long before we had another fire in the 440-volt starting compensator or whether the millwright would be drunk when he showed up or not until lunchtime.

I started doing math in my head. Changed myself from a D in remedial to a fair mathematician. Used chalk to create sundials on the walls. Kept up running jokes with other guys that sometimes took a couple days to run their course. Learned to do half the other jobs in the mill.

I never once thought it was boring.

Boring was not even an important part of the equation for me. For me merit in jobs has more to do with believing the employer worthy of my efforts at all, (otherwise I'll quit - today) and the job worth doing. All honest labor is okay. I'm not there to be entertained.

onetogo

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 14):
Now ACARS records these events and you get a summary on screen or a printout at the end of each flight.

Cool, thanks very much.

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:03 am

I guess if you get too bored you could always play the "guess that circuit breaker" game, where one pilot pulls a random CB and the other has to guess which one it is from the 20 EICAS warnings that just popped up...

LOL!!! Excellent!  Smile
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

Starlionblue

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 16):
I had a rude passenger stick his head in to the flight deck once and ask "Is this all you guys do? Just run back and forth like this?" Not in the mood to do PR work I said we were going to the Virgin Islands next and asked him where was HIS office going today?

Revenge is indeed sweet. When asked if I mind flying so much for work I respond that the 2 free vacations a year using miles are ok. "How much did you pay for your first class tickets for your entire family again?"

I spent nearly a year as a "strip puller in a stud mill" A stud mill is a sawmill that cuts nothing but eight-foot 2X4s. Wall studs. I stood at an outfeed table behind the edger and picked off the little strips at the edge of each "cant" that were not wide enough for the planer to make a 2X3 out of. I pushed these off into a conveyor that took them to the refuse burner. Eight hours a day, watching newly-sawn 2X4s go past.

Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? No!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? No!

Eight hours a day of this. Tuesday was identical to Monday was the same as September. The only variable was whether we were cutting redwood or fir or how long before we had another fire in the 440-volt starting compensator or whether the millwright would be drunk when he showed up or not until lunchtime.

Dear lord... Well, whenever I get boring makework I always remind myself of the fact that my job really isn't that boring. It is more often than not mentally challenging, which is a good thing. It often launches me outside my comfort zone, which is also a good thing. I learn a lot.

Here's the thing: If you really hate your job, you should make a concerted effort to get a new job. Otherwise you have no right to complain. Much.

INNflight
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:14 pm

Thank you all very much for the interesting answers... had a good read and some smiles throughout this thread  Smile

Cheers and happy holidays!

Florian
Jet Visuals

airfoilsguy

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:50 am

This is what I do when I get board at work. Post responses to threads in Anet.  wink 
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

SlamClick

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 21):
what I do when I get board at work.

Tell the truth now. Were you thinking about me working in a sawmill when you typed "get BOARD at work?"

2H4

Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 22):
Were you thinking about me working in a sawmill when you typed "get BOARD at work?"

I wood say so.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Starlionblue

Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:33 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 23):

Were you thinking about me working in a sawmill when you typed "get BOARD at work?"

I wood say so.

Well, it seems you hit the nail on the head. Planely so. I was, verily, pining for your answer.

lowrider

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:39 pm

It is well known that grammatical errors go against Slam's grain.
Proud OOTSK member

SlamClick

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:46 pm

redwood or fir

Been wondering, did Douglas fir become McDonnell-Douglas fir?
Then Boeing fir?

And since California has become so liberal since my youth there, is redwood now BLUEwood?

2H4

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:52 pm

Well, I hope you had good back support while standing at the sawmill for eight hours a day, SlamClick. It must have been hard on the lumbar.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

SlamClick

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 27):

In all seriousness, ear protection would have been a better idea. Why do you think I'm hanging out at a keyboard and monitor instead of out talking to a real live person?

Was it knotty of me to bump the thread?

2H4

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 28):
In all seriousness, ear protection would have been a better idea.

Well, it's not cheap to provide each worker with good-quality ear protection. With an expense like that, the sawmill would likely be forced to make lots of cuts.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

BAE146QT

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting SlamClick:
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? No!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? Yes!
Wide enough? No!

What happened if you got it wrong and let one through that was too narrow? Did you you just hope that no-one saw you screw up?
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

airfoilsguy

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:43 am

what I do when I get board at work.

Tell the truth now. Were you thinking about me working in a sawmill when you typed "get BOARD at work?"

You caught me, Butt  butthead  buy the time I got back hear  listen  all the good puns were used up.  spin 
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

HAWK21M

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:15 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 29):
Well, it's not cheap to provide each worker with good-quality ear protection

As long as it only blocks Low Frequency noise  Smile
regds
MEL

helvknight

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:47 pm

It looks like we're lumbered with a pun war here.

I wood think so.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

BWI757

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:45 pm

I was logging onto a.net and saw ( Smile sorry) this thread.

Looks like we branched out from the original topic at hand.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 15):

Wide enough? Yes!

CLICK!

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 15):
Wide enough? No!

SLAM!

Hence another reason for Slam's screen name.

BWI757
I live in the US but my heart is in Jerusalem!

SlamClick

Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 29):
the sawmill would likely be forced to make lots of cuts.

Of course in sawmilling that is a good thing - sort of like at a vacuum cleaner factory when your product does suck.

vikkyvik

Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:05 am

board at work

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 23):
I wood say so.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 24):
Well, it seems you hit the nail on the head. Planely so. I was, verily, pining for your answer.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 26):
Been wondering, did Douglas fir become McDonnell-Douglas fir?
Then Boeing fir?

And since California has become so liberal since my youth there, is redwood now BLUEwood?

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 27):
Well, I hope you had good back support while standing at the sawmill for eight hours a day, SlamClick. It must have been hard on the lumbar.

Was it knotty of me to bump the thread?

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 29):
Well, it's not cheap to provide each worker with good-quality ear protection. With an expense like that, the sawmill would likely be forced to make lots of cuts.

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 30):
Did you you just hope that no-one saw you screw up?

Quoting Helvknight (Reply 33):

I wood think so.

Quoting BWI757 (Reply 34):
I was logging onto a.net and saw ( sorry) this thread.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 35):
sort of like at a vacuum cleaner factory when your product does suck.

no 

Wink
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Fly2HMO

Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:02 am

I heard a pretty disturbing story that one of my friends ex-roommates routinely, *ahem*, played with himself on long solo cross country flights in our schools C172.

Now that I think of it, no wonder our seats are all stained  yuck   vomit   scared 

lowrider

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting Helvknight (Reply 33):

Yes, but it does answer the original question of how to pass time in cruise.
Proud OOTSK member

AirWillie6475

Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:01 am

If you fly for a regional airline time goes by very quickly because as soon as you hit 10K you can start talking about your next job. Must be hard for those guys at the majors, they got nothing to complain about.

HAWK21M

Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 39):
Must be hard for those guys at the majors, they got nothing to complain about

I've heard different.The Grass seems green on the other side. wink 
Its more to do with Seniority,Salaries & Benefits.A Comparasion is always present.
regds
MEL

Triebwerk

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:53 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 3):
Sometimes we will play the "what if" game. What if we lost both engines right now? What if we lost all electrical right now?

And then the co-pilot responds, "I don't know. Let's find out!"  Smile

sabenapilot

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 3):
Sometimes we will play the "what if" game. What if we lost both engines right now? What if we lost all electrical right now?

Just out of personal interest: how long does it normally take before your co-pilot turns his head and says: 'what if I just close my eyes for a minute; you seem to be coping just fine on your own'

As far as I am concerned, most of the time killed on the flight deck is spent reading newspapers or internal company mails, or discussing what's in them. Oh, and talking about how much better pay/work/overlays are at different airlines obviously...  Smile

DocLightning

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 4):

My wife, on the other hand, used to swim 6 hours a day, 6 days a week (with a meet on day #7). So she had to learn "boredom management" while doing laps. She has told me she either did coursework review (such as French verb conjugations) or just zoned out.

OK, speaking as a competitive swimmer who is like you, the sort of guy who gets all antsy if he has to wait 5 minutes, swimming is "boring" but after about 15-20 minutes of it you start to fly so high on the endorphins that you're bored and LOVING it!

Totally off-topic, I know.

More on-topic, a psychiatry professor once taught us about one common test of attention span. Basically, the examiner reads out a string of letters and the patient is supposed to tap the table with a pencil every time he hears a given letter, say "C". And you score the patient on how many they missed and how many they overshot. Someone with poor attention will have lots of false positives and negatives and someone who pays attention will do well.

Apparently there is a specific version for pilots that lasts 20 minutes. The prof said he administered one ONCE and refused to ever do it again.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

jetstar

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:53 am

I guess if you get too bored you could always play the "guess that circuit breaker" game, where one pilot pulls a random CB and the other has to guess which one it is from the 20 EICAS warnings that just popped up...

Many years ago some bored pilots on a National Airlines (the original) DC-10 did the same thing, they started pulling some circuit breakers to see what happened, one of them was for the engine over speed control.

Guess what, the engine did over speed and threw some compressor blades right through the airframe breaking out a window, unfortunately for the passenger sitting next to that window is wasn’t a good idea to pull that circuit breaker, because he was sucked out the window at 39.000 feet.

Or the pilots of a TWA 727 who decided to play around and test out an idea that by slightly extending the flaps in cruise could increase the aircraft speed. The only way to stop the flap extension was to pull the flap circuit breaker and what happened, they lost control of the airplane and put it into a dive and the only thing that saved them is when they extended the landing gear to increase drag and regain control.

Pulling circuit breakers in flight to see what happens has to be the dumbest thing any pilot could do.

When I was flying the JetStar, because I always flew with the same pilots, we always had a lot to talk about, except for the chief pilot we even socialized together off the job so we were more like friends than co-workers. But sometimes if we were not in a talking mood we would set the ADF to a music or talk show or sometimes a baseball or football game. You would be surprised how far away at FL390 you could get a clear channel AM radio station. We loved Imus in the Morning and we could sometimes pick him up almost 1000 miles away. We always listened through our headsets so if any passengers came up to the cockpit, they would not know we were listening to the radio.

Like most corporate jets, we had no cockpit doors, so reading books or magazines or playing cards was out of the question because it wouldn’t look good, so sometimes to break up the boredom I would do some sightseeing. We carried a pair of binoculars and a road atlas in the cockpit so I would try to identify the small towns we were flying over. One time a passenger came up to the cockpit while I was doing this and he asked me what I was doing, I told him this is how we navigate, then started to laugh and told him the truth.

Some times I would do cross word puzzles, I kept it on a clip board and if anyone came into the cockpit I would just slip the clip board between the side panel and the cockpit seat

Other times it was catching up on Jepessen revisions, normally we would wait to we got a few revisions and update them all once, since our subscription was for every airport with at least a 4000 runway, it filled 5 binders so that was a lot of charts to remove and replace.

Since the older JetStars were gas guzzlers, after 3 and a half hours of flight we were already on our final approach, so we really did not have that much idle time during cruise.

When I bought my 1964 Cessna 150 in 1968, it had a 21 channel Narco Superhomer radio, the receiver was set by turning a handle, so the radio was commonly known as a coffee grinder. One nice thing about this was that you could crank the FM receiver down to about 105.0 and pick up local FM radio stations.

Once I got my private pilots license I flew from HPN to DEN for vacation and by being able to listen to music for the entire trip helped break up the boredom. I even kept this radio when I upgraded and added a second radio, a 360 channel Mark 12 just to be able to listen to some music. This was before Walkman’s or any other personal listening devices.

CosmicCruiser

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:16 am

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 44):
Pulling circuit breakers in flight to see what happens has to be the dumbest thing any pilot could do.

With most co.s it's a terminating offense. I knew a couple of guys that flew a Lear many years ago and they had the habit of pulling the Mach warning CB so they could overspeed in the descent. Of course a few Lear 23s crashed doing that but that's beside the point. They taxied in one day and the Chief pilot walked out to the jet, saw the CB that they forgot to reset and they were fired on the spot. Not smart.

extending the flaps in cruise could increase the aircraft speed.

I remember that they were trying to climb to a higher alt. than wgt would allow so they pulled the leading edge devices CB and tried to extend a little flap when one LED deployed rolling them over into a very wild ride down. At least that's the story I heard all those years ago.

Jawed

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:34 am

sounds neat, what kind of software do you write in flight? for me, most of my software tends to be internet related, so i'd have to think of another topic area if i had to be offline.

DocLightning

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:52 am

In all seriousness, ear protection would have been a better idea.

What?

Quoting Sabenapilot (Reply 42):

As far as I am concerned, most of the time killed on the flight deck is spent reading newspapers or internal company mails, or discussing what's in them. Oh, and talking about how much better pay/work/overlays are at different airlines obviously...

Really, it sounds like down time on any job. In residency, we killed down-time with cross-words, books, I would bring my laptop, silly gossip, whatever. Most of us hung out together outside work, anyway, so it was just play time with friends.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

boeing767mech

Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:06 am

Many years ago some bored pilots on a National Airlines (the original) DC-10 did the same thing, they started pulling some circuit breakers to see what happened, one of them was for the engine over speed control.

Guess what, the engine did over speed and threw some compressor blades right through the airframe breaking out a window, unfortunately for the passenger sitting next to that window is wasn’t a good idea to pull that circuit breaker, because he was sucked out the window at 39.000 feet.

We flew that airplane up to about 5 years ago. I think that was N141AA when we had it.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty