WestJetForLife
Topic Author

Airport Work At YYC

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:09 pm

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but I need to ask a question.

Is there anyplace I (a viable 16-year-old) can go to work at the Calgary airport, besides the main terminal shops (you know, like cargo loaders, baggage handlers, etc.)?

If not at the main terminal, what about the Shell Aerocentre?

If this is the wrong forum, please inform me and I will seek assistance in another forum.

Thanks,

Nik
I need a drink.

avt007

RE: Airport Work At YYC

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:11 pm

My best advice is research- like you are doing. Don't go to a company looking for "any job". You won't get past the door. Research what's out there, what company does what, and go for a specific position. Good luck!

WestJetForLife
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Well, I want to be a baggage loader, but I don't have a driver's license (thanks go to overpriced insurance for that one), and I can't be a cargo-loader, since I have to be 18.

I'm thinking of applying at Aviat, the Shell Aerocentre and maybe Executive.

Not really sure; if any YYC guys can help me out, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
I need a drink.

Vio

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:29 pm

I think 16 is a little young for a job where security access is required. I know I tried to apply at Windsor Airport when I was under 18 and they didn't hire. Someone here mentioned applying for a specific possition. Yes, do that. Also let the employers know that you want to contribute to their company not just "be around planes". Remember, fist of all, aviation is a business, then a hobby...
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

WestJetForLife
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:44 pm

Vio,

Thanks for the advice. I don't 'just want to be around planes'; I actually want to contribute to the company, just like my current employment (Best Buy).

Cheers,
Nik
I need a drink.