saintsman

3D Models

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:10 pm

Could anyone suggest a suitable package to simulate aircraft within a hangar?

What I wish to do is to get a vertual view of a hangar and position different aircraft within it. This is to get optimum use of the hangar and its facilities.

For example, If I put a large bodied aircraft in the hangar and jacked it up, I may find that the tail hits the roof supports. If I reposition the aircraft a few feet to one side it will then jack up with the tail between the supports.

By chosing the optimum location for the large aircraft, I can then fit smaller aircraft around it and make the most of the facilities etc etc.

Any help appreciated.

vikkyvik

RE: 3D Models

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:33 pm

Sounds like any basic 3D modeling program should suit your needs. Doesn't sound like you need anything overly complex.

Aircraft shapes can be difficult to simulate exactly - I wouldn't bother trying to duplicate the actual shape of the aircraft. Just have the basic geometric shape, and change the dimensions as needed for different aircraft.

We use Alibre at work, which is decent. It's pretty similar to SolidWorks, though probably not quite as powerful. They offer (I believe) a free version on their website (I think the free version is Alibre Express).

Check it out.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Starlionblue

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Sketchup (yes, silly name) is a pretty decent entry level CAD program. You can make models of the aircraft and move them about within your space. I recommend you do the tutorials. It's not too hard to become reasonably proficient in a few hours.

Try the free one and upgrade if you like it.

http://www.sketchup.com/
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

sv2008

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:17 am

anim8or is a good free program, much more flexible than sketchup. It isn't as easy to learn though, and misses some features that professional modelling programs have as standard.

www.anim8or.com

saintsman

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Thanks for the info.

I found some good models of aircraft on this site http://3dcadbrowser.com/browse.aspx?category=3

I'll need to have a play and see if I can use them.