kaitak

"Gear Down" On A330/340

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:07 pm

Just before Christmas, when fog was plaguing London airports, I was flying from LHR to DUB and, as very good luck would have it, I got to fly on an Aer Lingus A330-200. Great. Lovely aircraft, great crew, nice flight.

However, as we were on finals to DUB, the gear came down; yes, of course, that's the right time to let the gear down ... but it was very audible, i.e. not quite a bang, but certainly an audible thud. I'm not sure if that was the gear doors opening or the actual bogies coming down and locking into place, but the passenger beside me - by no means a nervous flyer - did seem quite startled, and I reassured her that it was the gear.

I have noticed this on subsequent A330 flights (I flew DUB-SNN and back after Christmas) and the "gear down" seems more audible than on other Airbus types.

Anyone want to comment on this? In particular, what exact part of the "gear down" sequence is that "thud"?

jamesbuk

RE: "Gear Down" On A330/340

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:22 pm

I think it would be when the wheel bogey part (were the wheels are attached) are released and fall back into there held back position.

Rgds --James--

P.s. that made sense right?
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

DH106

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:00 pm

I suppose it depends on the exact acousitics, but if you were sitting over the wing then the releasing of the gear leg/bogie uplocks just prior to them lowering would only be a few feet below - in the main gear bay.
...I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate....

2enginesonly

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:45 pm

Could it have been the mainwheel door closing again??
On the B767 the geardoors close very, very fast and can be felt when working in the cockpit during groundtime.
Just a wild guess.

Arjan

zeke

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):

Anyone want to comment on this? In particular, what exact part of the "gear down" sequence is that "thud"?

Sounds like the main doors closing at high speed, I think they get some aerodynamic assistance when close to closed.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar