ajaaron

Airbus Crew Ignores ILS And Lands At Wrong Airport

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:48 am

A320 crew landed at wrong airport when they believed the ILS signals were innacurate once they became visual with an airport 5 miles before actual destination. They were both so convinced, that both of them rejected the ILS signals, cancelled all the GPWS warnings, and, though not mentioned in the report also must have mentally rejected their position and intended track on the Navigation display.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...irbus%20A320,%20EI-DIJ%2001-07.pdf

Whats most surprising is that the commander had over 14,000 hours flying time.

It does happen from time to time, but irony is that if it was in IMC this would not have happened.

airfoilsguy

RE: Airbus Crew Ignores ILS And Lands At Wrong Airport

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:01 am

Whoa, wait a minute, there are train tracks crossing the runway!?! No wounder they landed at the wrong airport, they were too busy looking for trains!

Tower: Flight 123 you are second to land, follow Conrail on approach.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

VC-10

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 am

What is the significance of the a/c type? A few years ago a DC10 landed in Belgium instead of Holland due to crew error.

ajaaron

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 2):
What is the significance of the a/c type? A few years ago a DC10 landed in Belgium instead of Holland due to crew error.

Just to get you a bit more excited - who's interested if it was a cessna pilot...

FlyingColours

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting Ajaaron (Thread starter):
Whats most surprising is that the commander had over 14,000 hours flying time.

IMO the most shocking thing is the airline did not provide sufficent charts for the area, "The commander tried in vain for 3 days prior to the flight to obtain aerodrome charts for ballikelly." yet after getting the charts 1 day after the incident he said "he would have then known of the proximity/existance of the other airport and not landed there".

Sounds like an airline screw up there, all the aircraft I've worked on had chart library's you would kill your cat for, we had charts for the other side of the world on our 737s - hardly a diversion.

I'm just making an observation though, not passing some blame or anything. What airline was it, I see an EI- registration but I doubt it was Aer Lingus - Translift perhaps?

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

2H4

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
Whoa, wait a minute, there are train tracks crossing the runway!?! No wounder they landed at the wrong airport, they were too busy looking for trains!

Reminds me of the time I was flying cross-country in a flight of three with some buddies. One of them spotted a "runway".....I believe the exchange went something like this:

Buddy 1: Dude....check out that runway off to the left.

Buddy 2: What runway? I don't see any runway.

Buddy 1: Yeah, that weird one at our 10 'o clock. They put grandstands in on the sides to watch planes land. What a bunch of idiots. Can you imagine what would happen if a plane veered off the runway?

Buddy 2: Uh...that's a dragstrip. For cars.

Buddy 1: < Kept silent for the remainder of the flight >

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

oly720man

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 4):
I see an EI- registration but I doubt it was Aer Lingus - Translift perhaps?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeroen Hribar - AirTeamImages

wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

KELPkid

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 am

This happened to a NW A319 crew not too long ago too...

The field of intended landing was RAP, however they inded up landing at RCA...big oops. I will surmise that the base commander at Ellsworth Air Force Base had a few choice words with the flight crew  eek 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

FlyingColours

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:08 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 6):

Haha thanks chief, that was my fault I mis-remembered the year of manufacture as the date of the incident so I thought it happened in 1992....

... Its been one of those days  Smile

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

noelg

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:23 am

This was reported on here when it happened and was widely reported in the media - the aircraft was operating a flight for Ryanair leading to the normal slagging off of said airline in the Civ-Av forum!

744rules

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 2):

If memory serves well, it was a FRA bound Northwest. Looks both airports have a rwy 25R

christopherwoo

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 2):
What is the significance of the a/c type?

Because obviously if it was the far more superiour boeing aircraft there would be a "caution, you are about to land on the wrong runway" haha  Wink

Valcory

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:21 am

I think the title of the tread is misleading were the pilots working for Airbus??

BigJimFX

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 pm

I'm just wondering why ATC waited untill AFTER the plane landed to tell them they landed at the wrong airport.
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

David L

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting BigJimFX (Reply 13):
I'm just wondering why ATC waited untill AFTER the plane landed to tell them they landed at the wrong airport.

The crew reported that they'd landed and ATC knew it wasn't at their airport so deduced they'd landed at the wrong airport.

SlamClick

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:39 am

Good piece of advice to aircrew upon sighting the airport:

Don't abandon the approach!

Years ago a corportate/135 pilot told me about taking the jet away from the captain at LAX with a huge celebrity passenger in the back. The captain was on the ILS to the south side, broke out at about 1600 feet, saw the lights of "The Forum" parking lot and dove for them.

Don't abandon the approach.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

access-air

RE: Airbus Crew Ignores ILS And Lands At Wrong Air

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 7):
The field of intended landing was RAP, however they inded up landing at RCA...big oops. I will surmise that the base commander at Ellsworth Air Force Base had a few choice words with the flight crew eek

I thought they were intending to land at Minot not Rapid City.Are you speaking about the Northwest Airbus?????....My former co-worker's husband was stationed at Ellsworth AF base and the commercial airport nearby was Minot.....NOT Rapid City....

Just an observation...

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

PhilSquares

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:57 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 16):
I thought they were intending to land at Minot not Rapid City.Are you speaking about the Northwest Airbus?????....My former co-worker's husband was stationed at Ellsworth AF base and the commercial airport nearby was Minot.....NOT Rapid City....

Just an observation...

Perhaps this map will help! Minot AFB is near Minot ND, not Rapid City, SD. Google is an amazing tool, if you use it!
Fly fast, live slow

KELPkid

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 16):

Having have been both places (Minot and Rapid City), I can assure you that 1) Ellsworth AFB is in Rapid City and 2) Minot, North Dakota is no where near Rapid City, South Dakota. This is the problem with third-handed information...  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

cobra27

Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:58 am

Why did you call the topic Airbus lands at the wrong runway? Like the airbus landed by themselve

airfoilsguy

Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting Cobra27 (Reply 19):
Why did you call the topic Airbus lands at the wrong runway? Like the airbus landed by themselve

The plane work functioned perfectly. It was the pilots that malfunctioned. That is why that after the plane landed they replaced the malfunctioning part of the plane (the pilots) and the plane flew to the correct airport.

[Edited 2007-02-01 21:47:06]
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!