scalebuilder

Question About Airline Fuel....

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:19 am

Can somebody knowledgable in this forum elaborate on this topic? I am wondering about the various grades of fuel used by the airline industry. How are quality controls of fuel maintained at airports around the world? Do they exist, and if they do, I assume they are needed?

Is this a "generic" and "across-the-board" grade, or do these vary according to aircraft type?

What about Soviet built aircraft vs. Western built? Are there differences in what fuel these aircraft use?

Lot's of questions. But in any regard, thanks for your responses!

Sincerely,

Scalebuilder
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

mpdpilot

RE: Question About Airline Fuel....

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:40 am

I am not going to answer because I really don't know but I have another question. Is there any other types of fuel for airplanes other than Jet A, 100LL and 100. I know Jet A is usually what airliners use but is there any other types?
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

WrenchBender

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

EMBQA

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:32 pm

Jet A is the worldwide standard. The only real 'option' you get is with or without Prist. Prist is an additive that helps remove moisture and kills alge.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

tlfd29

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:33 pm

Most common U.S. fuels are 100 Low-Lead and Jet A. At our FBO we spend a couple hours every day on quality control on the fuel farm equipment and all the trucks. We keep detailed reports of all findings on daily QC. We get audited by the FAA and the airlines quite often and QC is very high on their priority list.

N231YE

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:52 pm

Gasoline-Based ( Avgas ) :

100LL Most Common
Mogas (automotive gasoline-for airplanes that can handle it)

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 3):
Jet A is the worldwide standard. The only real 'option' you get is with or without Prist. Prist is an additive that helps remove moisture and kills alge.

According to Wikipedia, the worldwide standard is Jet A-1, whereas the USA only uses Jet A.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_fuel

futureuapilot

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting Tlfd29 (Reply 4):
100 Low-Lead

Yep, 100LL (low lead) is the most common piston engine fuel in the United States. A word of caution though... even though it says "Low Lead", the levels of lead are actually quite high. Avoid skin contact as much as possible. I always use gloves both working as line service refilling the planes and as a pilot when I take fuel sumps.

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!