Beaucaire
Topic Author

The Pilotless Aircaft Thread...

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:29 pm

There have been threads about pilotless aircaft in the past-but technology moves on and I thought to open a thread combining latest information about planes without a pilot might be a sensitive thing to do.
Recent demonstations of UAV's like "Global Hawk" -who will have a European sister called "Euro Hawk"- have demonstrated the progress in this technology.
An excellent article resuming the current situation can be found under :
here

I would nevertheless be interested to gather your opinions about where the technology will move-will it be the cargo-flight that will become the first operators of unmanned flights ? or the Military transporters?
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

jush

RE: The Pilotless Aircaft Thread...

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:47 pm

If this thread has no pilot I'm not gonna write or read in it.
Whoops I just did.... darn

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Starlionblue

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:18 pm

I would guess military transporters. The military will relax safety considerations in the face of mission requirements in wartime. Putting two less fleshbags in harm's way, and having "pilots" that do not get tired, are important considerations.

If zeppelins take off again (haha), I would think they might be the first commercial application. Slow speeds and the ability to land most anywhere in case of a malfunction make them ideal.

And pax? Well, that's a way off.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

airfoilsguy

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Thread starter):
where the technology will move-will it be the cargo-flight that will become the first operators of unmanned flights ? or the Military transporters?

I am against pilot-less transport for passengers but I think it would be a good idea to try out military transport. The military could probably modify a C130 to do remote cargo drops in a war zone
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Fly2HMO

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:00 am

Well, history tends to repeat itself (sadly in some cases). So I guess its pretty safe to say the military will be the first ones to put these aircraft to use (and they kinda already are) and then once the technology is proven it will move into the civilian market. If at all, we'll see pilotless cargo planes, but I think thats still way off.

I do think though, we might see single pilot pax planes way before we see autonomously flown pax carrying aircraft.

Should we reach autonomous pax aircraft, they will probably be more like remote controlled planes, and what we now call aircraft dispatchers could very well be the "pilots" of these airplanes, and maybe they might be "flying" more than one at the time.

airfoilsguy

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 4):
and what we now call aircraft dispatchers could very well be the "pilots" of these airplanes, and maybe they might be "flying" more than one at the time.

What will probably happen is that once this becomes a reality the airlines will farm out the dispatcher/pilot jobs out to the country with the lowest wages and the dispatcher/pilot will be in control of 10 to 15 planes.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:47 am

I don't see US or UK airlines having their UAV's controlled by some Romanian or Bulgarian ex-military pilot in search for a new job on the ground...
While the scenario looks plausible,the acceptance-level will be a very tough question!
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:46 am

If they get reliable....Transporters of Cargo could be a possibility.I doubt if Pax would travel on such crafts though.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Starlionblue

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:13 am

It is a possibility that in the far future pax will feel unsafe if the computer is not in charge.  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Fly2HMO

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 5):
What will probably happen is that once this becomes a reality the airlines will farm out the dispatcher/pilot jobs out to the country with the lowest wages and the dispatcher/pilot will be in control of 10 to 15 planes

And they will be pubescent 18 year olds that would be equivalent to the kids that now-a-days live their lives in front of their x-box or PS3 all day. 

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 8):
It is a possibility that in the far future pax will feel unsafe if the computer is not in charge.

True, but I doubt even my great-grandchildren will see that.

But ya never know....   

Surprised cap'n Slam hasn't commented yet....

[Edited 2007-02-08 08:32:38]