rush744

Aircarft Control Surfaces And Stabilisers

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:05 am

Hey guys i am currently studying Aerospace at the University of Hertfordshire, London, UK.

As one of our modules we have been asked to design and develop an aircraft, i have been designated the stability and control.  Sad

Our aircraft has a Double Delta shape wing, with a vertical stabiliser, however i have run into some problems. I have looked through numerous books and looked on many websites yet have not been able to find a way to calculate the control surface sizes for the aircraft. We have chosen to use elevons/flaperons (like those on the eurofighter) on the wing and just a rudder within the stabiliser.

Would anyone be able to help me in anyway possible?  Confused

I have not been able to find any rule of thumb that will shed light onto calculating the elevon size with regard to size of wing, or the size of vertical stabiliser.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards, Rushpal  Smile

FredT

RE: Aircarft Control Surfaces And Stabilisers

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:24 am

I assume you have looked at the existing double delta design and tried to inter/extrapolate?

For a school project, I'd say winging it based on rather sparse publically available statistical data will be quite enough. Check with your professor.

There's the Saab 35 Draken, Saab 210 "Mini Draken", Israeli Kfir, F-16XL, Su-15, F7-MG, Concorde (slight variation of the concept) etc.

Rgds,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

vikkyvik

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting Rush744 (Thread starter):
As one of our modules we have been asked to design and develop an aircraft, i have been designated the stability and control.

Hey -

It might be helpful if you told us what specific class this project is for. As in, how in-depth does it need to be? If it's for a basic Intro to Flight class, then you probably don't need to go into too much detail. But if it's for a Flight Mechanics class (a.k.a. static/dynamic stability, etc), then you'll definitely need to do some research.

I'm a little surprised that they're asking you to do this without having gone over this sort of stuff (at least for "normal" airplanes).

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

britjap

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:06 pm

Hey Rushpal

This is great...I also had a look at Hertfordshire Uni when I was choosing three years ago but chose Manchester in the end!!
I think this project must be very typical of all Aero Eng courses in the UK cos we did also had to do an aircraft design module.

I am guessing that your project is a group project and running along the same lines as mine did, so you will have several group members in charge of different fields.

Unfortunately however I was not the stability guy on our team, so I am not an expert.
But IIRC the method we used for Initial control surface sizing, as FredT suggested, was actually simply empirical. (Though I object to this being refered to as a "school project"  hissyfit  )

The chosen size does need to be validated however, and that is a Much Much more complex and involved task.

But for now, just try to find control surface sizes as percents of chord lengths for existing airframes.

Regards
J.

If you want a short explanation of the validation I mentioned just ask.

rush744

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 pm

Quote: It might be helpful if you told us what specific class this project is for. As in, how in-depth does it need to be?

Hey guys, well its a final year project, we have been asked to design a space aircraft similar to spaceship one. we need to be able to test our deisgn by inputting the values we obtain into the uni flight simulator to see if it flies. we are bascially doing all the design stages up till the actual build etc. we wont actually build it, but will get a feel of its characteristics.

FredT

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:39 am

Well, the mark of a true genius is knowing when to copy!

As there is a proven reentry vehicle out there using a double delta wing... well... if it works for them!  Smile

Rgds,
/Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.