vivpa

Landing Priority

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Hi,
I hope this is the right forum for this. I had once heard a gate agent that certain flights have higher priority for landings/arrival. Specifically, he mentioned this for SFO duing reduced ops, in which case International flights get first priority, followed by trans-continental, medium-range, and short distances, respectively. Is this vaguely true? Does this extend to different types of aircraft (ie 747/777, 757, 737, turbos)?
tia,
vivek

Mir

RE: Landing Priority

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Emergency aircraft have first priority for landing, then it's first-come, first-served. However, small planes (i.e. slow piston engined GA planes) may get delayed a little bit in order to fit into the general traffic flow. However, no one airliner has priority over another.

Airlines may decide to strategically cancel flights at times, and normally it's the short-haul ones that get the axe while the international ones stay in operation.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ADXMatt

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:08 pm

When an airline has a hub operation they usually have an ATC desk liason on their dispatch department.

planes arrive on a first come first served basis. However the airlines ATC desk can request that flight 123 remain in holding to allow flight 567 in before it. However it is a CO to CO or a UA to UA substitution. The airline usually gives it's international flights and wideboies priority when there are delays because they are usually low on fuel and are very expensive to divert. The short haul domestic usually is carrying more hold fuel.

I hope that helps.

CXfirst

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Emergency aircraft have first priority for landing, then it's first-come, first-served.

Not fully true it's:

1. emergency aircraft
2. VIP
3. first-come, first-serve

-CXfirst

Mir

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 3):
Not fully true it's:

1. emergency aircraft
2. VIP
3. first-come, first-serve

Not fully true either - lifeguard flights have priority over VIPs. There's a whole laundry list of operations that have priority between emergencies and regular flights. I won't get into it here, but this link to the FAA Order 7110.65, Section 2-1-4 spells it out pretty well.

-Mir

swiftski

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 3):
2. VIP

Is the Govt. or Celebrity, or both? Damn, if it's celebrity I'm going to be fuming.

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Not fully true either - lifeguard flights have priority over VIPs

I would have thought that Lifeguard would class as Emergency, so fit into point 1.

UAEflyer

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:27 pm

well if Air force 1 and the big guy on it, 100% they have priority maybe more than any other emergency case
does that make sense
Big Balloon, Bigger than the Sun & Moon, Flying High in the Sky.

bond007

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 5):
I would have thought that Lifeguard would class as Emergency, so fit into point 1.

Well, in the US no. An aircraft in distress has priority over all other aircraft, after that, there are a various callsigns and flights that have priority over others.... one being Lifeguard flights, others being some military callsigns, and presidential aircraft 'and their entourage'. Lifeguard flights are not emergency situations.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Mir

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 6):
well if Air force 1 and the big guy on it, 100% they have priority maybe more than any other emergency case
does that make sense

Emergencies always have more priority than the president, which makes sense, as one is talking about endangering someone's life versus getting someone to an appointment on time.

-Mir

flymatt2bermud

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
Emergencies always have more priority than the president

Somebody needs to advise ATC in Kansas City it this is the case. We had a lifeguard flight with a patient on a ventilator, albiet the patient was stable, we had to hold for 15 minutes back in the early 1990's for a Clinton visit. They would not let us land until his aircraft had departed and they were running an hour or so behind their schedule. I guess he needed a haircut?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

bond007

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 9):
Somebody needs to advise ATC in Kansas City it this is the case. We had a lifeguard flight with a patient on a ventilator, albiet the patient was stable, we had to hold for 15 minutes back in the early 1990's for a Clinton visit. They would not let us land until his aircraft had departed and they were running an hour or so behind their schedule.

As I mentioned earlier, a Lifeguard flight is not designated an 'emergency' situation. It is given priority whenever possible .. "good judgment shall be used in each situation to facilitate the most expeditious movement of a lifeguard aircraft."

Restrictions exist around every Presidential flight, and unless you declare an emergency, you aren't going anywhere.

Presumably, if your patient is in a life or death situation (and they weren't), then the situation changes, and ATC should be informed accordingly.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

corey07850

Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
However, small planes (i.e. slow piston engined GA planes) may get delayed a little bit in order to fit into the general traffic flow.

Also that's not entirely true... It's more of a case of VFR v. IFR arrivals. At larger airports the arrival string can be 50 miles or more long and nearly impossible to fit Jimbo in his 152 in without some sort of delay. Now if he is IFR, then he should be given the same priority as any other aircraft arriving (key word: should, but that doens't always happen).

Rick767

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:26 pm

Depends what country you are in.

In Spain it's:

1. emergency aircraft
2. Iberia  Yeah sure
3. VIP
4. first-come, first-serve
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

foxxray

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:40 pm

1) Emergency Aircraft
2) Medevac / rescue helicopters and planes
3) VVIP
4) first come, first serve...

GatoVolador

Sat May 12, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting Rick767 (Reply 12):
Depends what country you are in.

In Spain it's:

1. emergency aircraft
2. iberia
3. VIP
4. first-come, first-serve

Sorry???? What makes you say Iberia has priority to take off or land among other airlines? At least in the flights I've been, we have waited until other aircrafts (even low costs) are airbone if they arrived first.

bio15

Sat May 12, 2007 3:28 am

The Department of Civil Aviation in my country defines these as the priorities or STS's (Special Treatment Situations):

1 - Emergency
2 - Ambulance aircraft
3 - SAR
(Search And Rescue) aircraft
4 - OP aircraft ('Oden Público'. A/c operating for the military to restore public order)
5 - VIP 1 (The president)
6 - VIP 2 (Ministers or such)

Other than that, there are the basic air priorities, or Rights Of Way in the air:
1 - Baloons
2 - Gliders
3 - Airships
4 - Airplanes
5 - Helicopters

There's no priority between airlines. When an airline gets priority it is either because it's under an STS, or the Air Traffic Controller has established a priority in aims of expediting traffic.

Alfredo