tomascubero

Do Delta Use Acars?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:15 pm

Hey Guys,

The answer to this question probably is yes but why is it that in the last 2 months of ACARS Decoding of messages that I have been doing, I have yet to see a single Delta aircraft, bearning in mind they fly twice to SJO, also to PTY, LIR etc so its not a question of range. Do they have them blocked, or is it that they use some other system? Would be interesting to see what they do!

Thanks in advance!
Tomas.

bucky707

RE: Do Delta Use Acars?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Yes, all Delta aircraft are equipped with ACARS.

bond007

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:06 pm

You are probably receiving only frequency. In order to capture all (or most) ACARS messages, you need to listen to at least 2 frequencies. You need the primary freq, and one of the secondary ones (can't remember which, but I'm sure someone will know).

You can often scan between the 2, and it'll work, but you may miss some messages due to the speed of the scanning.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

highflyer9790

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:03 pm

How can you intercept an ACARS message?

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Reply 3):
How can you intercept an ACARS message?

Try this site for an overview. There's also a Yahoo group that's somewhat active.
7 hours aint long-haul

tomascubero

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 2):
You are probably receiving only frequency. In order to capture all (or most) ACARS messages, you need to listen to at least 2 frequencies. You need the primary freq, and one of the secondary ones (can't remember which, but I'm sure someone will know).

I'm sorry I didn't reply to this before, I had no idea where my topic went until today  Smile. Thanks for the reply, I guess that must be it, I am ONLY tuning 131.550. The problem between scanning both is that the messages will not arrive completely, because you must set the squelch to full so the decoder gets the full message, scanning both will mean messages will come corrupted. Best thing to do here is set up two scanners and open up two windows. I'll try both frequencies with one and see how it turns out, I believe the secondary is 130.025 (Secondary channel for USA and Canada).

Thanks for the input guys!
Tomas.

dl757md

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting Tomascubero (Reply 5):
I am ONLY tuning 131.550

I believe the secondary is 130.025

Sorry, Delta uses neither of those freqs.

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

tomascubero

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Quoting DL757MD (Reply 6):
Sorry, Delta uses neither of those freqs.

Of course, that explains it. I see now that some airlines use their own frequency to report ACARS. Air Canada is another one I wouldn't get, now I've got their ACARS frequency, I'll search for the Delta one if you don't want to post it.

Thanks!
Tomas.

bond007

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting Tomascubero (Reply 7):
Of course, that explains it. I see now that some airlines use their own frequency to report ACARS. Air Canada is another one I wouldn't get, now I've got their ACARS frequency, I'll search for the Delta one if you don't want to post it.

AFAIK they use one of the many 'standard' ACARS freqs.

Try 131.525 and 131.725. Some airlines, including Delta have used these.
Air Canada uses 131.825 I believe.

Just lookup acarsd.org and some google searches and you'll find it.

...actually, just found this link

http://www.acarsonline.co.uk/alfreq.htm

The problem between scanning both is that the messages will not arrive completely, because you must set the squelch to full so the decoder gets the full message, scanning both will mean messages will come corrupted. Best thing to do here is set up two scanners and open up two windows.

Depending on the equipment and the sensitivity of the squelch, you can scan between different ACARS freqs. Yes, 2 scanners (or more) is the ultimate solution, but a good receiver with a sensitive squelch can do it. The acars sites explain some setups that do this. Also, worse case, with a standard scanner, it often works OK because the ACARS transmissions are often repeated very quickly in succession, so even though you miss the first burst, you get the next one(s).

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!