mozart

Landing Lights When Backtracking On Runway?

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:47 pm

When planes "backtrack" on a runway (i.e., they make a 180 degree turn at the end of the runway to taxi to the runway exit) - do they leave their landing lights switched on?

What about planes taxiing to the end of the runway to make a 180 degree turn before taking off? Landing lights on?

Maybe there is no hard and fast rule about it, but I was just wondering whether this was done so that planes can be seen when they're on the runway (e.g. by approaching traffic).

chrisMUC

RE: Landing Lights When Backtracking On Runway?

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:52 pm

that's for sure a good idea, since at night aircraft with only nav and anti collision lights on are very hard to see.
We always turn on the white strobe lights when cleared to cross an active runway or to line up because of the same reason.
rgds Chris

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Out here Before Entering the Active Runway Landing Lights are switched on.Some Switch on a few landing lights even during Taxi at night.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

IAHFLYR

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Quoting ChrisMUC (Reply 1):
for sure a good idea, since at night aircraft with only nav and anti collision lights on are very hard to see

It is a good idea to be as visible as you can be day or night....for me, I know that it is much easier to see a landing light headed your way either in the air or on the ground.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

BritPilot777

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 am

Usually when your about to enter an active runway you should turn on your strobes and landing lights, regardless if it's day or night, just makes you more visible to other traffic in the area.

Happens at LHR with all aircraft that cross runways and aircraft about to take the active for departure.

So when your backtracking on a runway, as you are still on the active, landing lights and strobes should remain on. However I think there is a certain time limit landing lights can be left on while on the ground as they heat up pretty good, in the air the air flow keeps them cooled, maybe someone can be a bit more clearer on that.

BritPilot777
Forever Flight

ThirtyEcho

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:44 pm

Landing lights? Hell, if I was backtracking on a runway, at night, I'd even be firing emergency flares out the cockpit window.

I can think of no more certain recipe for disaster than to do this at an uncontrolled airport.

thegreatchecko

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 5):
I can think of no more certain recipe for disaster than to do this at an uncontrolled airport.

A wee bit dramatic there... Wink

It happens all the time up here. The great majority of the runways my airline serves are uncontrolled and for the most part gravel (gasp!).

We self announce on CTAF and keep our eyes out the window. If the fit hits the shan you can always taxi the plane off the side of the runway. It'll be a pain in the rear to pull out and pretty expensive, but the plane will be in one piece, lightly damaged, and I'll be alive.

However, I can't say I'd talk so highly of the other pilots condition after we "chat."

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

lowrider

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:42 am

For me, the answer is, it depends. When holding in position, our manual specifies that we use strobes, but nothing more. I try to be mindful of other aircraft around me, especially at night, and try to prevent light usage that will needlessly blind the crew of other aircraft. If there is traffic on final however, I will ask for all the lights once we are lined up.
Proud OOTSK member

Evan767

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am

IIRC, on my DKR-ATL and DKR-JNB flights on DL the landing lights were turned on once we got on the runway. The pilot also spooled up the engines a bit to get down the runway faster which was interesting.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

ThirtyEcho

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:09 pm

"A wee bit dramatic there... "

It isn't so much the airplane who is landing directly facing you, it is the yokel who, on a calm wind condition night, is about to land directly on top of you from behind.

Runways are for landings and takeoffs. Taxiways are for taxiing. I haven't survived 48 years in the air by being complacent or trusting.

CosmicCruiser

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:17 pm

Our ops says when on the runway (for any reason) taxi light, runway turnoff, and strobes on. When cleared for t/o landing lights on. Reason is if you're crossing the runway down the way and you see me in position and you see my ldg lites I'm rolling. At our hubs where it may be just us it's a great clue for a safe xing.

thegreatchecko

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:48 am

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 9):
Runways are for landings and takeoffs. Taxiways are for taxiing. I haven't survived 48 years in the air by being complacent or trusting.

It must be nice flying into airports with full length taxiways all the time. Sometimes backtaxiing is a necessary risk. Unless one wants to explain why you ran off the end of the runway with a plane full of passengers and didn't use the full runway length, it is the safest thing to do.

Anytime we are on a runway, lights go on, transponder is turned on, etc.

There is a time and place for everything and there is nothing more useless than the runway behind you and the fuel that you left on the ground.  Smile

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

atct

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:17 am

When I fly I always have my strobes and Landing light on anytime im "taking" the runway. Whether this means backtracking to the threshold, or backtracking to get off, I leave em on. If im just shootin across, I just have the strobes on with the Taxi light.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

Pope

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:03 am

I believe it's standard practice to have the lights on whenever on the runway. On a recent trip out of MCO, even aircraft crossing from the outer runways to the inner ones would turn on their landing lights while crossing the runway.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:52 am

Lights Especially at Nights help in getting Attention.Using Landing & Taxiing lights while on the Runway is assuring one of a Safety margin in case of any error.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

57AZ

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:37 pm

Flying into our home airport, we always back-taxi on the runway with the 414. The taxiway is very narrow and there is insufficient space between the runway and taxiway for safe wingtip clearance with anything larger than a Cessna 340. Whenever we back-taxi at night, the landing lights and strobes stay on while on the runway. Once clear, we'll often turn off and retract the landing lights but the strobes stay on until we reach our private ramp.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."