Diego
Topic Author

Kalman Filter/curved Lines

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:07 am

Hello everyone
looking through my POH I noticed that in the LR60 collins pro line 4 the IAPS or integrated avionics processor system, basically some sort of solide state component that carries out most of the integration of the data fed from different sources such as the FMS, the ADC, the AHRS, and other NAV sources, before they are forwarded to the PFD and the MFD, uses for integration a kalman filter. What is exactly a kalman filter? is it software or hardware and what is its purpose?
Another quick question, flying through the sky I noticed that on the MFD when the MAP format is selected there are no curved lines even if there is a holding pattern along the procedure or a DME arc. Is that due to the fact that the Collins Pro line 4 is coupled to a Universal FMS, as matter of fact the FMS CDU is coupled to an ERP or EFIS Radar panel, and if so in an airplane that uses the avionics package and the FMS of the same brand, are curved lines depicted?

Thanks and best luck to you'll.

Diego

G4Doc2004

RE: Kalman Filter/curved Lines

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:12 am

When I went to LJ60 initial they touched on this. Simply put, the Kalman Filter is an algorithm in the hardware that gives updated velocity and position data for the navigation systems that allows for several introduced errors. Do a google search and you'll get all the info you need.
"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail"--Benjamin Franklin

tu144d

RE: Kalman Filter/curved Lines

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:59 am

I took a class in Kalman filtering as part of my MS thesis in Aerospace Engineering which involved a lot of it. It basically is used in a stochastic (random) process in control theory to determine the state of a dynamic system. As you know for accurate tracking of a vehicle (airplane) you need precise date from accerometers and other instrumentation to know exactly where the vehicle is at a particular insant. This can be quite difficult when the aircraft initiates rapid maneuvers or is subected to unpredictable phenomena like gusts that are random in their occurrence, as well as positional errors that build up in the instrumentation. In a nutshell, kalman filtering is used to account for these inputs to correctly predict the position of the aircraft and predict the trajectory of an aircrat which can be optimzed with optimal control theory. But that's something else i won't go into, Calculus of variation, pontryagin's and all that stuff unless you are really interested. Hope that helps.

-Vik-