CoolGuy
Topic Author

Wake Turbulence From Parallel Runways

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:52 am

I think I heard EWR tower say "caution wake turbulence" due to a heavy taking of from a parallel runway. Is that really a concern?

futurecaptain

RE: Wake Turbulence From Parallel Runways

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:58 am

Well a crosswind can blow the wake across the parallel runways.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

N231YE

Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 1):

Exactly...

IAHFLYR

Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting CoolGuy (Thread starter):
"caution wake turbulence" due to a heavy taking of from a parallel runway. Is that really a concern?

It sure can be and always an advisory which is good to issue especially if the landing runway threshold is staggered a few thousand feet past the departure runway! Wake exists for every airplane as we know....I've even issue the advisory to departures 6-8 miles behind and a few thousand feet below a larger aircraft just to let them know they're following whatever it is making their ride bumpier in the climb....and that much loved B738 is some kind of wake maker!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

FredT

Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:20 am

In addition vortices tend to travel down and outwards. Once they hit the ground they go out even faster. Thus they can reach parallell runways even on a calm day.

Not to mention that without wind to help break them up, they'll hang around for some time before disipating.

Rgds,
/Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

Boeing7E7

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:44 am

One fo the advatages of the WAAS and LAAS systems (as proposed) will be multiple glideslopes to the same runway. A heavy would use a standard 3.00 degree glidelsope and a 737/A320 could be placed on a steeper 3.10 to 3.60 degree glideslope with the same CAT I landing minimums with different threshold crossing heights keeping the smaller aircraft above the wake turbulence and reducing in trail separation. This however would only apply to airports that don't have any terrain issues. It's not quite there yet, but it's coming.

The same would apply to parallel runways. One at one slope, one at another allowing closer spacing (2,500' vs. 4,300' with terminals between the runways), unless of course you need both runways for all types of aircraft. But that just leaves a ton of wasted space between the runways when you figure the taxiways and terminals would increase the airport footprint to 4,300' anyway.