seb146

Radio Tower Strobe Lights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:19 pm

On the east side of PDX are two banks of radio towers. They are painted red/orange and white like normal radio towers. They have the solid red light half way up and the strobing red light at the top. One bank of towers has three the other bank has four. The bank of towers with four is closest to PDX. The tower closest to PDX does not have a red strobe but a white strobe that is on 24/7. What would be the reason for that white strobe?

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

GQfluffy

RE: Radio Tower Strobe Lights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:19 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Thread starter):
What would be the reason for that white strobe?

"Look at me! I'm here, don't hit me!"
This isn't where I parked my car...

KELPkid

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:39 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 1):
"Look at me! I'm here, don't hit me!"

Or better yet, "Look at me! I'm in compliance with FAA Advisory Circular AC70/7460" Big grin

http://www.faa.gov/ats/ata/ai/AC70_7460_1K.pdf
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

N231YE

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:08 am

That's interesting. I have always thought/seen that lighted towers use white strobes in the day, and slow-blinking red lights at night.

KELPkid

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:14 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 3):
That's interesting. I have always thought/seen that lighted towers use white strobes in the day, and slow-blinking red lights at night.

Read the advisory circular. I used to file the FAA paperwork for a broadcast engineer, who built towers all over the US, and, IIRC, in many instances putting a daytime strobe on a tower can replace painting the structure aviation orange/white, which costs the tower owner more money in maintenance than the electricity needed by the strobe  Smile

bingo

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:55 am

Side note, Do you know what the guys who change those bulbs get paid? Typically its a dollar per foot per hour with a minimum number of hours. They typically will toss the dead bulbs (there are numerous in there) over the side so they dont have to carry them down. My old man was a radio man who did this line of work for a while...Next time you see those strobes, remember they are vertical gold mines.  Smile
Cheers,
Bingo

cptspeaking

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 4):
in many instances putting a daytime strobe on a tower can replace painting the structure aviation orange/white, which costs the tower owner more money in maintenance than the electricity needed by the strobe

Quoting Bingo (Reply 5):
Typically its a dollar per foot per hour with a minimum number of hours.

Very interesting, and GOOD GRIEF!!! I might have to take that up as a side job...  Smile

Your CptSpeaking

GO CANES!!  Wink
...and don't call me Shirley!!

N231YE

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting Bingo (Reply 5):

There was one tower, approximately 5 nm to the NE of my home airport, that took 5+ months to change a bulb.

It got to the point that every time I called WXbrief, and they went over the local NOTAMs, I said if the only NOTAM was this unlit tower, don't bother telling me it, as I already know.

KELPkid

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:36 pm

Quoting CptSpeaking (Reply 6):
Very interesting, and GOOD GRIEF!!! I might have to take that up as a side job...

Your CptSpeaking

Hope you don't have acrophobia (I can only climb to about the 50 foot level myself...I was wearing a safety harness)  Wink Something in me just says "this is wrong!" above that height...also it feels mighty lonely up there by yourself, and climbing straight up takes really good physical conditioning.

Oh, did I mention if the wind is blowing even slightly, you get to feel the tower sway, too Big grin

If you drop anything, remember to yell "headache!" (proper tower maintenance protocol...lets everyone else know to get the h*** away from the bottom of the tower).

KELPkid

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting Bingo (Reply 5):
Do you know what the guys who change those bulbs get paid? Typically its a dollar per foot per hour with a minimum number of hours.

Another reason many tower owners are going to 24 hour strobes-the only thing to change on a strobe lighted tower when stuff quits working is a circuit board at ground level  Smile

However, I have seen strobes make bad neighbors out of tower owners, where the lighting was previously red lights only...

3DPlanes

Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 9):
I have seen strobes make bad neighbors out of tower owners

Indeed. I live 2 miles (as the crow flies) from the approach end of two parallel runways. Both have REIL that fire together.

On nights with low ceilings, those things throw a surprising amount of light, over a large portion of the sky.
"Simplicate and add lightness." - Ed Heinemann

jeffry747

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:47 pm

To put things simply, anytime you see a red flashing light or white strobe, it is there so aircraft can see it at night. I guess I don't need to mention that it's FAA regulation for all tall buildings and towers to have them.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

atct

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:30 am

I might have to get that job.....

GO PENS!!!!!!

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

KELPkid

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting Jeffry747 (Reply 11):
or white strobe, it is there so aircraft can see it at night

As I mentioned previously, a white strobe active during daylight hours is often in place so that the tower owner doesn't have to paint the tower aviation orange/white, thus saving the tower owner money in maintenance. Also, IIRC, new construction towers above a certain height (999' agl?) require a daytime strobe (whether or not the tower is painted...) Older towers are "grandfathered" in under the regulations that were in place when the tower was constructed.

bingo

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:28 am

I dunno folks....can you stomach this?

http://www.afn.org/~scotsman/photos/empire.state.tower.work.jpg

Pucker Factor of

HaveBlue

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting Bingo (Reply 14):
dunno folks....can you stomach this?

Um, NO! And yet I love flying.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

seb146

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:41 pm

Okay.....

The picture is dizzying! I do not envy those workers at all.

Next question: Where on the FAA or FCC website is the specifications for warning lights for buildings? There are some short buildings in downtown Portland that have red warning lights but other taller buildings that do not have lights. What is the reason for those?

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

KELPkid

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 16):
Where on the FAA or FCC website is the specifications for warning lights for buildings?

Follow the link in reply #2  Wink There you shall find your answer...