Topic Author

Automated Tasks In 744?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:09 am

I'm just curious what tasks were automated in the 747-400, as compared to earlier 747 models, that allowed the elimination of the Flight Engineer position.

I'm guessing that FADEC probably helped, and that there is perhaps some automated fuel balancing/weight distribution that happens in the 744? Or was it mostly that, by the time 744 was certified, the idea of a two person crew was a much more acceptable idea to the FAA?

Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

RE: Automated Tasks In 744?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:07 pm

EICAS (Engine Indicating & Crew Alert System) and FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control) together are probably the single greatest leap in the continuing success of the B747. The engineer wasn't there to just flick switches. He was in charge of monitoring all the systems and inform the pilots if there were any problems. Much like the current EICAS system does today.

In the way of Automated tasks... There have been a few advances in this area like Anti-Skid & Autobrakes. WIth integration into a computer, mechanically the systems have simplified and increased in complexity electrically...

I'll add more when i can get access to my B742-B744 difference notes...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea