atct

North American / Ryan Navion

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:26 am

Hey Ya'll,
Question for anyone who knows anything about em.

I recently looked at a Navion for sale. Decently priced for what I could see.

$49,000 for the 205HP version. 1200SMOH. 2 NAV/COM's attached to VOR/LOC (No GS). Will have current annual.

I just done know much about em? I was looking for a nice Cherokee 140/180 or a Grumman Cheetah, but this seems to me to be a faster aircraft. (Obviously more money due to maintenance because its rarer and its complex).

Anywho any help or advice would be appreciated.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

KELPkid

RE: North American / Ryan Navion

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:28 am

I worked for a guy at an FBO who was a Navion affecionado...they are big, Cadillac-sized planes.

This guy would buy up old, dilapidated planes and restore them at our FBO. Nowdays, I think he just trades them...

If the plane is located at LRU, chances are that it's one of Hal's birds  Smile

Now, to the reality of the bird...they are, of course, a retract, and the insurance rates reflect that (the gear goes up along with the insurance rates  Wink ). They tend to use the older high performance Continental powerplants and old props...makes things a little expensive to fix, and they burn a good quantity of gas to get to where they're going.

The owners love them...apparently, they are a rock-solid, stay where you point them kind of bird.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Goldenshield

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:30 am

Just get a 172 or Cherokee. Otherwise, those hamburgers will eventually get pretty costly.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:40 am

The Navion was billed as the civilian version of the P-51. They were built in the late 1940's early 1950's, comparable with the Beach Bonanza.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nick Sharp

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © PolishAir42 - Chicago Aviation Photography

atct

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:20 am

Ok I should clarify.

I know everything you can read about em on any website. What im looking for is someone who knows the quirks of the plane. Ive been in the plane, Ive just never flown one.

I know the performance specs etc. I just want to know what should I be looking for (what parts are notoriously bad etc.)

Regarding a 172....I'll take a Cheetah. 172's are overrated P'sOS.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

Tornado82

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:47 am

Not to add more questions... but...

Still in FWQ?

Need a 1/2 share?  Smile

lowrider

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:04 pm

The only thing I can remember is that the gear is hydraulically actuated and the system is somewhat complicated. It would be impossible to overstate the importance of finding a mechanic who is familiar with the type. Even if it costs more it can save you money down the line. With any aircraft of that age, corrosion is a concern, unless it spent its entire life in the desert. Also, has the aircraft been converted to AC, or is it still DC? If you go forward with a pre-buy inspection, I would be sure to get an oil anaylisis. If you like the Navion, you might also like the Meyers...

Have you considered a Cherokee 235/Challenger? They are reasonably quick and have a good payload.

Either way, I am sure you will enjoy it. I am surprised that no one else has asked for pictures yet.
Proud OOTSK member

2H4

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Quoting ATCT (Thread starter):
I recently looked at a Navion for sale.

Would that be the "Thunderbird" Navion?  eyebrow 

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 6):
If you like the Navion, you might also like the Meyers...

Very true, but unfortunately, a nice Meyers 200 would cost about twice as much...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

atct

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:11 am

Hey,

It is an all white Navion with sorta USAF Paint, but no a T-Bird scheme.

Anywho I have looked a little into Cherokee 180's and 235's. A Decently priced 235 would be a nice plane to have. (Comparable to a 182 just faster).

Ive seen a Meyers once and it was a little outside my range. (I could afford the plane, but couldnt afford to fly it...thats the problem with most true complex planes).

Anywho thanks for the help. Still lookin!

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

2H4

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 8):
Anywho I have looked a little into Cherokee 180's and 235's.

The Cherokees definitely lack the cool factor, though. After all, unlike the Navion, no Cherokee has ever taken off and landed from an active US aircraft carrier.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Goldenshield

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:50 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 9):
no Cherokee has ever taken off and landed from an active US aircraft carrier.

I know that a Cessna 152 has! (It was featured in AOPA magazine, IIRC.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

2H4

Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:08 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 10):
I know that a Cessna 152 has!

The funny thing is, a modern carrier could produce enough wind over the deck to allow the 152 pilot to take off with a ground roll of zero feet....although, come to think of it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same held true for the Navion...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

pilotpip

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:40 am

Navions are hangar queens for the most part. My former employers had a couple that they did mx on and they were constantly in for little work. One had major corrosion problems. The other had all kinds of landing gear issues.

They look really cool, and they're damn big. However the tradeoff for that size is that they're slow and burn lots of gas. While the 235 doesn't have the cool factor that the Navion does it's a workhorse that will haul anything you can squeeze into it, it's predictable and you'll find a mechanic that knows how to work on them anywhere in the country.
DMI