JETBLUEATASW
Topic Author

Anyone Know Why Klga Only Used 13-31 Most Of 04/14

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:05 am

I was at a open house for the college i want to start may 21st which is Vaughn college of Aeronautics and Technology. Anyways they took us up in the observation deck for anyone who was interested in how air traffic control works. I noticed that for most of the morning until 2pm or so, runway 4 and 22 was actually closed and they had a large X on the runway i guess to indicate it was closed. All the departures were taking off runway 13 and arrivals were arriving runway 31. Is there any particular reason they would have everything operating only on runway, and if so, what made them open it around the mid-afternoon?
"DO ME A FAVOR WOULD YA, THE NEXT TIME U LAND A PLANE ON MY STRIP, BONE UP ON YOUR MORSE CODE"-Tom Berenger

DeltaGuy

RE: Anyone Know Why Klga Only Used 13-31 Most Of 04/14

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:34 am

There could be a ton of reasons. Airports do that frequently to perform maintenance, FOD sweeps, light checks, you name it. If it's a longer task then the X's would be hauled out. It's more common than you'd think.

They probably opened it in the afternoon for rush-hour traffic, so to speak.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

CoolGuy

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:04 am

There was quite a storm last night. It's probably maintenance, and might have been closed anyway due to high crosswinds.

Mir

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting CoolGuy (Reply 2):
It's probably maintenance, and might have been closed anyway due to high crosswinds.

Normally, a crosswind isn't enough to put out an X at both ends (they just don't use the runway), so it's probably maintenance.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

tinpusher007

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting JETBLUEATASW (Thread starter):
All the departures were taking off runway 13 and arrivals were arriving runway 31.

Are you sure they were using this configuration..departing and arriving opposite ends of the rwy? On Sun, they were only using 13 for arrivals and departures. I have never seen any airport having planes arrive on one rwy and depart on the opposite. The only exception I have seen at LGA is that every so often on plane will depart the opposite of the rwy in use, but its usually just one plane, not all. I have never been able to figure that out either. This could have been what you saw.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

SilverComet

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:53 pm

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 4):
every so often on plane will depart the opposite of the rwy in use, but its usually just one plane, not all. I have never been able to figure that out either

It happens sometimes that an aircraft requests departure from the opposite rwy, if the wind and ATC allows it. This is done mostly for convenience and fuel savings issues. For example, if you're headed to a destination which is in a general south easterly direction, you would rather depart off rwy 13 than rwy 31 and then having to make a 180 turn somewhere. If you're a GA aircraft flying VFR this is not much of an issue, as you can turn at your convenience. But if you're an airliner flying a SID, taking off in the right direction can reduce your track miles significantly and save you lots of $$$.

Moose135

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Quoting JETBLUEATASW (Thread starter):
I noticed that for most of the morning until 2pm or so, runway 4 and 22 was actually closed and they had a large X on the runway i guess to indicate it was closed.

LGA often does runway maintenence on the weekends, closing one runway for much of the day and operating up and down on the other. Last summer it was a weekly occurance.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!