HAWK21M
Topic Author

Aviation Degrees In Maintenance.

Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 am

Are there any Degrees one can pursue from a Maintenance/Engineering Department.
As Out here Aircraft Maintenancde is a Licenced Field.
Does a Degree prevent a Licenced AME from working on line.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

KELPkid

RE: Aviation Degrees In Maintenance.

Thu May 17, 2007 12:29 am

A few community colleges in the US offer associate degrees in aviation maintenance...IIRC, you end the program with an A&P license, and then you have to work your way up to IA status (under the supervision of other A&P mechanics).
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

FredT

Thu May 17, 2007 1:14 am

I hold a degree in aero engineering. During the education there were several paths you could go which affected your choice of courses to take. Construction, maintenance, logistics... I'm thinking most AE programs will give you the option to tailor the education towards maintenance, if that is what you desire.

I know that in some fields, in some countries, a degree will not help you get a job at a lower level. They're not too interested in hiring someone with an engineering degree on the floor, as they (probably correctly) assume that as soon as there is an engineering opening that individual is out the door again. "Sorry, overqualified, back to the unemployment line you go... we'll hire some git who's got a degree in burger flipping instead".

Rgds,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

Dalmd88

Thu May 17, 2007 1:28 am

ERAU grants Degrees for Aero Maint. I have one from the DAB campus. Having more qualifications than the minimum would not prevent you from working in any job. The advanced degree may help you move to another job in the field though. I got my BS for that reason. Personally I havn't used the degree. Mostly because there are very limited possiblities for advancement at my current station and we(my wife) are unwilling to move at this time.

Dougloid

Thu May 17, 2007 1:35 am

I got a certificate from Northrop Institute that I could have parlayed in to an AS or BS in engineering.

It's interesting to note that the A&P campus in Inglewood is still in operation and owned by Westwood College-who I work for as an online instructor in the criminal justice division and as a course designer.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2007 5:18 pm

I'm Already having A&C [A&P] on B737 classic & B757 Freighters.I was looking to add to my qualification with a Degree which I could do part time or correspondence.As I work nights,so I'll need to adjust my Day schedule accordingly.

My Existing Field pays adequately,however If I could be added qualified,it could help serve my carrier in higher position sometime in the Future.

I love Aircraft Maintenance & would always want to work directly on the Craft in Line or Major Mx.I also understand that Rising up in ones carrier,means more Managing & less on hands job,Which is sad,but then its part of the rise.

I was really thinking about Increasing my Qualification in this Field from the past few days & just don't know how to start.

regds
MEL

Dalmd88

Fri May 18, 2007 2:09 am

Check into ERAU. They have a pretty good distance learning program. I think they might give you 60 credit hours for your A&P.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 3):
ERAU grants Degrees for Aero Maint

Any link.
regds
MEL

9VSIO

Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:27 am

I believe it's www.erau.edu
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:43 am

A/c train

Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:44 am

FredT, is it not YOUR decision which route you take ? if you want to work on the shop floor you do an apprenticeship or adult training scheme, if you want to become a design/tech services engineer, you gain a degree. If you however want to become a mechanic after being in a design etc profession, you take an adult retraining scheme. I spent four years learning my craft to become an Aircraft Mechanic and im still learning, ive spent the best part of 4 and a half years studying for an Aircraft Maintenance licence, which is recognised as the equivalent to a degree, sorry to piss on your fire with that one.
Found your comments i.e '' Burger flipper '' , rather offensive !! if you didnt intend it this way, diregard this statement.
regds a/c

Tristarsteve

Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:57 am

Well I did both. I did an apprenticeship with BEA and got a Trident A and C licence, and at the same time they sent me to the City University in London and I got a BSc in Air Transport Engineering.
I worked in Engineering for about 5 years, then went to work on the line as an A and C Engineer on B737-200. I am still working on the ramp, but am Station Maint Manager looking after 3 other stations as well. never regretted my move to the floor as I still find ramp work interesting.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting Tristarsteve (Reply 11):
worked in Engineering for about 5 years, then went to work on the line as an A and C Engineer on B737-200. I am still working on the ramp, but am Station Maint Manager looking after 3 other stations as well. never regretted my move to the floor as I still find ramp work interesting

Line & Major Mx can never be replaced as the Job has its challenges & joy..But there would be a time when promoted one would need to stop working directly or Signing for work on Aircraft.But with a Degree one could rise to a higher level,or am I not correct.

regds
MEL