KingAir200
Topic Author

Differences In CRJ Cabin Door Handle?

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:45 am

I am frequently around CRJs and have noticed differences in the handle used to open the main cabin door from the outside. The design I am most familiar with involves pushing in on a flap and then lifting the handle up to open the door, similar to doors on Airbus aircraft. Examples of this design are immediately below. There is another design, seen at the bottom, which seems to be similar to the handle on the cargo and catering doors. Why are there two different designs? Customer preference? Improved design added to newer aircraft?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tony Marlow [Airplane-Pictures]
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralph Duenas - Jetwash Images

View Large View Medium

Photo © Unmuth-AirTeamImages VAP
View Large View Medium

Photo © Je89 W.

lowrider

RE: Differences In CRJ Cabin Door Handle?

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting KingAir200 (Thread starter):
Improved design added to newer aircraft?

The door designed was revised. Someone figured out how to build a better mousetrap.
Proud OOTSK member

KingAir200
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 1):
The door designed was revised. Someone figured out how to build a better mousetrap.

Ah. OK. Thanks for the response.

DH8PU

Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:31 pm

The CRJ door has been constantly undergoing modification and improvement.

The Phase 3 door which is installed on CRJ100s (At least they are here at Jazz) is similar to the service door or baggage door as you had mentioned. Opening the door requires you to "pop" the external handle, which also opens the vents in the door, then turning the handle to fully unlatch the door. To close the door the F/A uses the power assist, then pushes down on the handle. HOWEVER the external handle is still out and has to be stowed either by a ground crew member or by the F/A stowing the handle via the plunger located on the top stair.

The Mod 4 door which is installed on the CRJ200 and CRJ705 (Again here at Jazz) consists of the one handle that you just pull up on to open the door no rotating required. Big advantage of this door is that when the F/A pushes down on the inside handle this fully seals the door so no waiting for ground crew to stow the handle.
Cabin secure and doors checked

Strathpeffer

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:32 pm

They modified the galley door handles too, didn't they? At least they did inside.

PJ
Another Technical Problem?

ilikeyyc

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:22 pm

Quoting DH8PU (Reply 3):

Another difference between the two doors is that the Phase 3 door has 6 pins that latch into the door frame, where the Phase 4 door only has 4 pins

Quoting Strathpeffer (Reply 4):
They modified the galley door handles too, didn't they? At least they did inside.

I haven't payed attention recently, I'll have a look when I go into work again. I know for a fact the improved "single motion" doors are on the 700, but I don't know if these new doors were installed on 200's.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

DH8PU

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 5):
Another difference between the two doors is that the Phase 3 door has 6 pins that latch into the door frame, where the Phase 4 door only has 4 pins

You absolutely right!.

Quoting Strathpeffer (Reply 4):

On our CRJ100/200s you rotate the handle clockwise to open the door on the CRJ705s you rotate the handle anti-clockwise. As well the CRJ100/200 does have an external handle stowage plunger where as the CRJ705s do not.
Cabin secure and doors checked