alaska737

Who Taxis The Plane?

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:07 pm

hey just a quick question i was having a debate with a friend of mine about commercial airliners taxing, and i cant recall if both the captian and F/O taxi or if only the captian was allowed to taxi? seems i remember an AS captain telling me that captians are the only ones authorized to taxi but not sure if memory serves me right or maybe it differs from airline to airline.

thank you

LTU932

RE: Who Taxis The Plane?

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Thread starter):
maybe it differs from airline to airline.

It may also differ from aircraft to aircraft. There may be aircraft that only have the nose wheel tiller on the left hand side, which would mean that only the Captain can taxi the aircraft. One example is the IL-62. There's a vid of a CU IL-62 which shows that only the Captain can taxi the aircraft, because the nose wheel sterring wheel, which is connected to the yoke and is used instead of the usual tiller, is located on the left hand side yoke.

^^You can see it in this vid, starting at 2:11.

Fly2HMO

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Thread starter):
it differs from airline to airline.

Bingo. Most planes have dual steering tillers, but only captains are authorized to taxi on most airlines. If the FO is flying the outbound leg, the captain will taxi up to the rwy and "hands over" the plane to the FO once the plane is ready for take off. Depends on airplane to airplane too, a few only have one tiller on the captains side.

thegreatchecko

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:59 pm

This is going to be company policy, so there exists the possibility that at some airlines, the FO is allowed to taxi. However, I'm pretty confident in saying that the vast, if not almost all airlines only allow the captain to taxi the aircraft.

Furthermore, unless its a training situation, most captains would probably reserve taxiing for themselves. While the captain would be ultimately responsible for any mishap involving their aircraft, it would be especially difficult to explain why he or she allowed their first officer to taxi into a baggage cart, runway light, or other easily missed obstruction.

At my airline, only the captain taxis the aircraft. I have never gotten further than aiming the aircraft towards the taxiway off the runway and I'm okay with that. The captain gets paid big bucks to worry about the rest!

One has to remember that the slow speeds involved in a taxi incident changes the perception considerably. Not having the captain at the controls doesn't help one bit either.

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

PhilSquares

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:16 pm

It really varies from airline to airline. However, more and more airlines have broken it down so the PF taxis the aircraft (where possible) and the PNF monitors the taxi, or assumes the duties of what would have been considered FO duties.
Fly fast, live slow

longhauler

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:25 pm

At my airline, only the Captain taxis the aircraft. This is a policy with which I do not agree, as the best time to be learning how to taxi is with someone more experienced. That being said, when on the A320 I used to let the F/O taxi when he was flying the leg, until instead of "technique" it became "policy" that only Captains taxi!

Now on the EMJ, with only one tiller, it is moot!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

EMBQA

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 2):
Most planes have dual steering tillers, but only captains are authorized to taxi on most airlines.

Not true...... Most planes have single tillers and only on the Capt's side. I can't think of any commercial aircraft I've worked on that has duel tillers. The Capt taxi's by default.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

411A

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:28 am

There a quite a few aircraft with a n/w tiller on both sides....all B747's for example.

Some L1011's...those that were destined to British Airways, for example.

Even some B707's, Qantas aircraft, for example, all -320B series.

First Officers are allowed to taxi in acft so equipped, subject to company policy, and then ONLY with the approval of the Captain.

ThrottleHold

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 6):
Not true...... Most planes have single tillers and only on the Capt's side. I can't think of any commercial aircraft I've worked on that has duel tillers. The Capt taxi's by default.

BAe 146
Avro RJ
B747
A318/19/20/21
A330
A340

All these have tillers on both sides. I have flown most of them.
At my company the PF taxies, so it can either be the Capt or the F/O. I don't see the problem with F/O's taxiing. If they're checked out to handle a V1 cut, surely they'll be able to steer the thing on the ground!

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:55 am

Remember, many mechanics also have taxi licences.

n710ps

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:38 am

At most companies the ability to taxi the airplane is only granted of the captain. This stands true for my company I know (duhh). It's not only that iti is company policy but at most carriers it is based on the fact that there is on many airplanes only one tillar. When you get to the world of jets and airliners pedals do not cut it.  Wink
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

411A

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:32 am

Many co-pilots complain..........'I can't taxi the airplane, it's my right.'

Ha!

It is NO such thing, so get back in your boxes.

""Maneuvering in tight parking quarters takes skill, something these younger co-pilots are short of in large quanties, so they can just sit on their hands and do as they are told."""

Sound harsh?

A short speech from a Chief pilot long ago, directed an malcontents in the RHS.

His words exactly.

And, he was RIGHT

AirframeAS

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 9):

Correction: Taxi qualifications. Not licenses.

I can only speak for AS 734's, those have only one steering tiller on the captain's side on the lower left panel shroud left of the captains seat. I think they also are the same on their 73G's, 738's and 739's.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

pilotpip

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:40 am

I don't think any ERJ-145s have tillers on the right side. I can't taxi, that will come with upgrade.
DMI

HAWK21M

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:45 am

Lets put it this way.Depending on the number of Tillers present either on both sides or only the LH side.The Person seated on the Left taxies.It could be the captain or F/O under a check.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

calpilot

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Most planes have dual steering tillers, but only captains are authorized to taxi on most airlines

Just so we are stright on this...

In the US very few airliners have dual steering. In 20 years of flying and riding other airlines jumpseats I've seen dual tillers on the A300's, DC10's and a few (just a few domistic narrowbody Airbus).

Now of course on all of the Boeing, and MD's you have 6 to 8deg. nose wheel steering with the rudder peddles.

boeing767mech

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:48 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 8):
Quoting EMBQA (Reply 6):

BAe 146
Avro RJ
B747
A318/19/20/21
A330
A340

All these have tillers on both sides. I have flown most of them.
At my company the PF taxies, so it can either be the Capt or the F/O. I don't see the problem with F/O's taxiing. If they're checked out to handle a V1 cut, surely they'll be able to steer the thing on the ground!

Add 777 to the list
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

777236ER

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting 411A (Reply 11):

Ha!

""Maneuvering in tight parking quarters takes skill, something these younger co-pilots are short of in large quanties, so they can just sit on their hands and do as they are told."""

Sound harsh?

His words exactly.

And, he was RIGHT

Lots of CRM in your organisation then?
Your bone's got a little machine

AJ

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:30 pm

At my airline all the widebody types have dual tillers (B743/B744/B763/A330) and the First Officers hold command ratings on the aircraft. As a result when it is the FO's sector we taxi until the aircraft is aligned with the gate as most NIGS on our network rely on the eyeline of the left seat.

hotelmode

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:38 pm

Seems to be a geographical split here. I cannot think of a UK airline that does not allow FO's to taxi (where 2 tillers fitted) The only time we cant is when the stand guidance is LHS only as described above. BA always has 2 tillers fitted to its new aircraft.

David L

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 17):

I think we've... er... been there before.  Smile

I seem to remember from a previous discussion that those airlines that do not restrict taxiing to the Captain (and there seem to be quite a few) also take the FO's experience into consideration in that a brand new FO might not be allowed to taxi but a more experienced one might.

Quoting 411A (Reply 11):
"Maneuvering in tight parking quarters takes skill, something these younger co-pilots are short of in large quanties"

I also seem to remember from previous discussions that, in some cases, the Captain will taxi in tight areas, such as the ramp area, but might let the FO do the rest of the taxiing, though I may have remembered that incorrectly.

Quoting 411A (Reply 11):
"...so they can just sit on their hands and do as they are told."

I know that's probably tongue-in-cheek but it's quite the opposite of what I witnessed during a recent flight deck visit, courtesy of a major international airline.  Smile

Since the FO flew the leg and operated the thrust and parking brake while taxiing, I think it's fair to assume was also steering, though I didn't actually see who had a hand on the tiller. Both the Captain and the FO agreed that, unlike most other features, taxiing is an area of the simulator that isn't very realistic (due to the limitations in depicting the outside view in 2D, I assume, but I had too many other questions to pursue it  bouncy  ) so I guess real experience is more valuable.

David L

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 20):
I also seem to remember from previous discussions that, in some cases, the Captain will taxi in tight areas, such as the ramp area, but might let the FO do the rest of the taxiing,

Quoting AJ (Reply 18):
As a result when it is the FO's sector we taxi until the aircraft is aligned with the gate as most NIGS on our network rely on the eyeline of the left seat.

Quoting Hotelmode (Reply 19):
The only time we cant is when the stand guidance is LHS only as described above.

Sorry, I was interrupted when I'd almost finished my comments and accidentally posted without checking for more recent replies.  embarrassed 

jman40

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting CALPilot (Reply 15):
Now of course on all of the Boeing, and MD's you have 6 to 8deg. nose wheel steering with the rudder peddles.

In the case of airlines in which only Captains taxi, I have a question:

If the F/O is flying a leg, I assume they have the ability to make minor corrections during the takeoff/landing roll using this 6-8 degrees of steering with the pedals. In the case of a landing, at what point does the F/O turn the plane back over to the captain in order to exit the runway, either by high-speed taxiway or otherwise?

I've always wondered about this.....

J

pilotpip

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 am

You can make small corrections with the rudder pedals. On takeoff, the captain will line the aircraft up on centerline, then relinquish controls.

We turn it back over at 50kts on landing roll. Standard call out per our SOP:

"50 kts. My controls, your radios"
DMI

411A

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:55 am

Certainly is...

Rule #1. The Captain is always right.

Rule #2. If in doubt, refer to rule number one.

Works like a charm.

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting Jman40 (Reply 22):
If the F/O is flying a leg, I assume they have the ability to make minor corrections during the takeoff/landing roll using this 6-8 degrees of steering with the pedals. In the case of a landing, at what point does the F/O turn the plane back over to the captain in order to exit the runway, either by high-speed taxiway or otherwise?

At SK on the Mad Dog this is at 80 knots. This conveniently coincides with the "point of no return lite" call. While V1 is the "true" point of no return, pilots would only consider stopping after 80 knots (or equivalent per type) if something really serious is wrong, such as a fire or loss of an engine. Under 80 knots they stop for anything including a lack of coffee in the galley.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

777236ER

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:09 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 24):

Works like a charm.

shoes

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:43 am

I spent 35 years working line maint and the most fun that can be had is taxing a widebody down to the blast fence to do a run up after a engine change. the only time the tiller is used is when making sharp turns, the rest of the time you used the rudder pedals. to get close enough to the blast fence you had to nose it in pretty close then go full left turn, ride the left brake and run up the right eng so it will turn as sharp as possible. on 727s you could pivot on one main gear. on widebodies it tended to scrub the main tires pretty good, but it was still possible to turn real sharp. the man in the right seats responsabillity was to keep an eye on the area on his side of the airplane so you dont hit anything with that wing. once on the fence the parking brakes were set, idle speed was cked, part power, then takeoff assurance. if the numbers matched the maint manual,we usually had to take it directly to the gate, where the crew was waiting and usually they would ask what we had torn up this time. Like I said I worked for 35 years as an a and p and dont remember ever messing up a airplane but I sure can remember fixing a whole bunch of them after the drivers did.

Max Q

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:23 am

At my outfit, the Capatain takes control no later then when the aircraft departs the centreline for an exit taxiway.

Usually 80-60 knots.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

kbfispotter

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 9):

Yep... I am working on getting my taxi qualification at the moment for the Dash 8-400, and the steering tiller is only on the captian's side, and it is the same on all models of the Dash 8, and I believe the CRJ as well (I have yet to even touch an RJ at work, as they never come through SEA for MX when I am on duty). But anyway, back to the topic... At QX, mechanic sitting left seat taxis the plane, while the right seat rider is there to assist the left seat with tasks and man the radio...

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

brons2

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:35 am

Please don't start this again. We've already hashed and re-rashed this discussion with 411A.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

PGNCS

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 11):

Ha!

Sound harsh?

His words exactly.

And, he was RIGHT

Quoting 411A (Reply 24):

Certainly is...

Works like a charm.

These is the most asinine posts I have ever read.

Quoting Brons2 (Reply 30):

Please don't start this again. We've already hashed and re-rashed this discussion with 411A.

Some people can't be trained.

roseflyer

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:42 am

Most planes have dual steering tillers, but only captains are authorized to taxi on most airlines.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 6):

I know the 737, so I'll give my input on that. The 737 typically has a single tiller on the captain's side but it is a customer option to have a dual tiller system. Most airlines do not go for that option, but some do. I can't think of any airlines in the United States that have a dual tiller off the top of my head, but know of at least one in Europe.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

OB1504

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:06 am

411A, are you at liberty to say which company you fly for?

411A

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 am

Two different charter companies persently, OB1504, depending on the season, short to medium term contracts, and a third new company, where I am the Chief Pilot and Director of Operations.

There are a few Captains that do this seasonal flying worldwide, on the L1011 aircraft, for different small adhoc charter airline companies.

xjramper

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting 411A (Reply 34):
Two different charter companies persently, OB1504, depending on the season, short to medium term contracts, and a third new company, where I am the Chief Pilot and Director of Operations.

There are a few Captains that do this seasonal flying worldwide, on the L1011 aircraft, for different small adhoc charter airline companies.

And if this is the case:

Quoting 411A (Reply 24):

Certainly is...

Works like a charm.

I will be sure to avoid  Smile

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 32):
The 737 typically has a single tiller on the captain's side but it is a customer option to have a dual tiller system.

Would the steering cables for the RH tiller be routed thru the RH NWW or similiarly to the rudder steering sisconnect on the LH side.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

roseflyer

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:19 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 36):
Would the steering cables for the RH tiller be routed thru the RH NWW or similiarly to the rudder steering sisconnect on the LH side.

I don't fully understand you, but in a dual tiller case, the line routing to thte nose wheel steering actuators is longer since the cable will go through both tillers. It's just a longer cable when a dual tiller option is installed. It is not two separate systems, which means you should see the captain's tiller moving if the first officer's is moving.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

buckfifty

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:54 pm

I sit in the RH seat, and I get to taxi. It really depends on the airline, as said before. Taxiing is not a difficult job, if one is trained properly to do it. We tend to use the tiller only on tight turns, and use the rudder pedals for long straights. No tiller is used on the runway, except for lining up. The rudder pedals are used on landing up to the taxiway, if we were leaving the runway on a high speed exit.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 37):
I don't fully understand you, but in a dual tiller case, the line routing to thte nose wheel steering actuators is longer since the cable will go through both tillers. It's just a longer cable when a dual tiller option is installed. It is not two separate systems, which means you should see the captain's tiller moving if the first officer's is moving.

On the Airbus, the NWS tiller is also FBW. So they don't move concurrently if one is being operated.

2H4

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 24):
Certainly is...

Works like a charm.

Hey 411A, 1959 (and it's dismal safety record) called. They'd like their SOPs back.  biggrin 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

411A

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 39):
Hey 411A, 1959 (and it's dismal safety record) called. They'd like their SOPs back.

Oh gosh...sorry, I will keep 'em, thank you.
PanAmerican trained, and I ain't about to change anytime soon.

777236ER

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 40):
PanAmerican trained, and I ain't about to change anytime soon.

You mean the airline that hasn't existed for the last 16 years? You boast about training that old?

You're dangerous not only to yourself, but your crew, passengers and people on the ground. With any luck you'll be retired before you kill anyone.

N231YE

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:07 am

411A is very knowledgeable in aviation, in fact, I respect him. However, I am going to disagree with 411A here.

Remember...the "I am the captain, you do as I say and do not question me" attitude is one of the contributing factors to the worst accident in aviation history

Also, I should note, Captain Jacob van Zanten, was the chief pilot for KLM at the time, same with 411A at his respective airline. Zanten was also the most senior pilot at KLM, and no one dared to challenge him, as this was the attitude up until then.

In addition, as Wikipedia properly states,

Quote:
Hierarchical relations among crewmembers were played down. More emphasis was placed on decision-making by mutual agreement. This is known in the industry as Crew Resource Management, and is now standard training in all major airlines.

,which many members have brought forward...

Maybe some good reading on the internet...considering that Pan American (Pan Am) was one of the airlines involved in this horrific accident.

[Edited 2007-08-06 03:09:16]

411A

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:43 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 41):
You're dangerous not only to yourself, but your crew, passengers and people on the ground. With any luck you'll be retired before you kill anyone.

Typical nonsense.
An interestesting statement considering you don't know me personally.

When I retire, it will be with the absolute knowledge that I have flown many thousands of passengers over many millions of miles safely and effectively, with no accidents or incidents of any kind whatsoever.
Thousands of other Captains trained long ago can say exactly the same.

2H4

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 43):

I've seen automobile tires worn through more than one ply, with metal poking through the broken, bald rubber. These tires have transported many people many thousands of miles, and delivered them to their destinations without a scratch. Doesn't mean they're safe.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

411A

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:34 am

You make the same mistake many folks do, 2H4, when they look at some tires on Russian airliners.
Many times they appear to have quite a lot of cord showing, but oddly enough, that is the way they are made, and the cords showing is normal in many respects.

2H4

Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm not talking about Russian airliners, 411A...I'm talking about automobiles, and there's nothing safe about steel belting protruding from worn rubber.

Actually, I'm talking about the flawed logic in thinking that, because nothing bad has happened, nothing bad will happen...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

David L

Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting 411A (Reply 43):

Maybe, but how many share your views on CRM?

Quoting 411A (Reply 43):
When I retire, it will be with the absolute knowledge that I have flown many thousands of passengers over many millions of miles safely and effectively, with no accidents or incidents of any kind whatsoever.

Fingers crossed, eh?  duck 

Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:27 pm

I for one would feel 100% safe flying with 411A.

777236ER

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting 411A (Reply 43):

Typical nonsense.
An interestesting statement considering you don't know me personally.

The greatest ever development in aviation safety is CRM. Not turbine engines, FBW, windshear detection, nothing like that, but CRM. And despite that, crew still cause more than half of all fatal crashes.

The fact you don't recognise that shows you can't adapt to a modern world. The fact you talk about the L1011 as if it's a modern marvel, when in fact it's outdated and inefficient shows you can't adapt to a modern world.

How you can be so flippant when thousands of thousands of people have died because of attitudes like yours is scary.