speedbird747BA

PPL - Drug Test Involved In Medical?

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:47 am

So, just wondering, as part of the medical to start training to get your private pilots license, do you have to undergo a drug test? If so, (hypothetically), if one were to take only 4 or 5 hits off a joint on thursday night, and the drug test was, say, 9 days later, would it show up?

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

9VSIO

RE: PPL - Drug Test Involved In Medical?

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:55 am

I don't recall needing a drug test for my class 2 medical (UK). Can't speak for other medicals.

9VSIO
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

highflyer9790

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:58 am

For a 3rd class medical here in the USA, A drug test is not involved. However, urinary samples are taken, tested, and you must by law document your (if any) criminal record.

Obviously, that kind of behavior for a pilot is highly immature and not responsible. I wouldn't ask that kind of hypothetical question in this day and age. Be careful.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

Respectfully,

Highflyer

Tornado82

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Reply 2):
For a 3rd class medical here in the USA, A drug test is not involved. However, urinary samples are taken, tested, and you must by law document your (if any) criminal record.

The urine samples are drug tests though, but it looks like our OP isn't in the USA.

n710ps

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:04 am

Not smart. AI do not personally endorse the uise of any mind altering substance except for drinking and even than not within 12 hours bottle to throttle.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

Tornado82

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting N710PS (Reply 4):
even than not within 12 hours bottle to throttle.

And that depends on how quick you recover from hangovers.  Smile

But to the OP: Basically coming onto a world wide site admitting your use of drugs isn't smart. You never know who's reading what, possible employers, etc. regardless of whether or not you plan to become a pilot. I had a non-aviation job 2 years ago where the hiring manager was an A.netter. About a week after I started the job I went into his office one day and he was on mil/space forum typing away. You never know when something like that could come back to haunt you.

futurecaptain

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Reply 2):
Obviously, that kind of behavior for a pilot is highly immature and not responsible. I wouldn't ask that kind of hypothetical question in this day and age. Be careful.

Don't think we can say it better. If you have to ask this question, you arn't ready to be in command of an aircraft.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

tz757300

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Thread starter):
If so, (hypothetically), if one were to take only 4 or 5 hits off a joint on thursday night, and the drug test was, say, 9 days later, would it show up?

Stupid move kyle. Why would you even risk it?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

57AZ

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:03 pm

Possibly, depending on what test they do. Drugs pass through different bodily systems at different rates. A UA might come up clean a couple of weeks post usage but some drugs can be detected through other test types months later. Bottom line-if you do drugs and want to get employed in a safety sensitive area, get off the drugs. If you're wanting to get on with an air carrier, railroad or major truck/bus line, they will find out about your drug usage eventually. As one person mentioned, you don't know who monitors these boards. As a railroader, I do know that the Class One railroads monitor the various railroad related sites.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

onetogo

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 3):
The urine samples are drug tests though

False.

graphic

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:52 pm

The urine samples are drug tests though, but it looks like our OP isn't in the USA.

Not on the medical, they just test kidney function.
Demand Media fails at life

AirTranTUS

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:28 pm

but it looks like our OP isn't in the USA.

Yeah he is, his flag is just different.
I love ASO!

rwessel

Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:25 am

If so, (hypothetically), if one were to take only 4 or 5 hits off a joint on thursday night, and the drug test was, say, 9 days later, would it show up?

To answer this specific question, and not comment on the larger issue...

Unfortunately cannabis is one of the things detectable for the longest time after use. After a single use, expect 7-14 days before you're urine is "clean." If you've used on a semi-regular basis, you’ll need 30-60 days between your last use and the test.

If you're abusing heroin, OTOH, your urine will be clean in a couple of days, LSD a day, and Cocaine, no more than four days.

OK, so to comment on the larger issue a *bit,* and strictly considering impairment, I'd rather be flying with a pilot who smoked two or three joints 12 hours before the flight than one who downed a six pack at that time...

N231YE

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:35 am

Seeing that you're from Germany makes me wonder if you have been hanging out with Sabena332 too much  wink 

N353SK

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:18 am

I have always been under the impression that the urine tests during the flight physical were solely to check for sugar (or maybe starches?) in the urine.

n710ps

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 14):
I have always been under the impression that the urine tests during the flight physical were solely to check for sugar (or maybe starches?) in the urine.

And excellence as well which I tend to piss quite well it seems.  Wink Just kidding do not flame me.

Kay

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:43 am

No prejudices or judgements here, but nice way to start your PPL!
 Wink

When I did my PPL, there was an 8 hour no-alcohol rule, hell I didn't touch a beer that whole evening eventhough sometimes it was 18hours before...

Of course it was a bit too serious, but quite a difference in the approach!
Now after around 100hours I stick to 8.

Kay

n710ps

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:39 am

Our company rules are 12 botthe to throttle but when I am off from work it is about 3 bottles and she goes right for the throttle.  Wink

In all seriousnes though I find it unwise to admit to the use of narcotic substaqnce and currently you are in persuit of a PPL?? Bad idea man. Pick one or the otrher as I always tell my younger sister.

PGNCS

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 12):
OK, so to comment on the larger issue a *bit,* and strictly considering impairment, I'd rather be flying with a pilot who smoked two or three joints 12 hours before the flight than one who downed a six pack at that time...

How about this: don't pick between the two. Get a third pilot, a professional, to fly the plane.

This is reprehensible behavior, and I hope you either give up drugs or aviation, the sooner the better.

kmh1956

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:03 am

If this is a question you need to ask, in my opinion you're not ready for a PPL. Grow up, grow a pair and make a choice...drugs or flying.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

SlamClick

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:10 am

I do hope that if you get your license your personal ethics will demand that you tell ALL possible passengers that you do occasionally smoke dope and give them the option of riding with you or not.

I'm pretty sure that if you ever have an incident, whether you had a part in the cause or not, you will probably be drug tested. Possibly GCMS on a hair sample which will look as far back in your life as the hair is old. Wear long hair? That could be a year or more.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Fly2HMO

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:10 am

So, just wondering,

Or worrying?  mischievous 

Seriously dude, why risk screwing up your life (as if you haven't started screwing it up already)?

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 19):
Grow up, grow a pair and make a choice...drugs or flying.

checkmark 

9VSIO

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:22 am

Interesting that he hasn't responded at all in this thread....maybe we are too late!
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

Fly2HMO

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:30 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 22):
Interesting that he hasn't responded at all in this thread....maybe we are too late!

Naaaah, he's probably taking time off to light up another smoky one Big grin

BAE146QT

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:37 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 22):
maybe we are too late!

Maybe he's embarrassed.

Maybe it really was a hypothetical question and he's upset that everyone took it to mean that he's a pot head.

Or maybe he's in a corner somewhere, completely off his cake on goofballs, going "Duuuude. My hands are huge!"
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

SlamClick

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 24):
a hypothetical question

Rather like the guy who goes to a doctor and says: "My friend thinks he might have a venereal disease."
Doctor says: "Well, why don't you just whip your 'friend' out and let's have a look at him."
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

BAE146QT

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 25):
Rather like the guy who goes to a doctor and says: "My friend thinks he might have a venereal disease."

Well yes, but I can afford to give him the benefit of the doubt. Just like my missus when she refers to herself as a "lady".
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

Fly2HMO

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:02 am

Maybe it really was a hypothetical question and he's upset that everyone took it to mean that he's a pot head.

I guess somebody in that position would've at least bothered with defending himself.

I'm gonna give him a tiny, tiny benefit of the doubt just because I don't know him in person, but then again:

Or maybe he's in a corner somewhere, completely off his cake on goofballs, going "Duuuude. My hands are huge!"

That's the most likely possibility Big grin