2H4
Topic Author

April, 1962 - Cessna Marketing Execs Get Desperate

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:28 am

So I'm at the used book store yesterday, and I find a box of old Flying magazines for a buck each. I buy a couple, thinking that I can find devious shots for the next "Identify This" Tech/Ops contest (which I do), and I run across this Cessna ad:

A close-up of Cessna's suggested "stretch-out siesta"  sarcastic :

Anyway, I thought fellow Tech-Oppers would get a kick out of that.

< keeping things tech related >

Does anyone else have examples of silly attempts to market technical aircraft features? Cessna made a habit of it, with their "Land-o-Matic" (tubular spring steel) landing gear, "Pana-Vision" rear window, "Para-Lift" flaps, etc. Aside from Piper bragging about how their low-wing aircraft land on a "cushion of air", I've never seen such attempts to market technical features.

< / keeping things tech related >

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

KELPkid

RE: April, 1962 - Cessna Marketing Execs Get Despe

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:34 am

LOL, I got my complex and high performance ratings in a 1962 C-210B (just like the one pictured). I always laughed at the "nav-O-matic" autopilot, which was a glorified wing leveler When I see that instrument panel again, even in B&W photos from a 1962 magazine, two words come to mind "Sky King"

EDIT: interesting aside, I believe Cessna actually marketed the 210B as a 5-passenger aircraft, and there's even a center seat belt in the back seat, but the fifth passenger better be a midget or a child, as it just won't work, spacewise or weight and balance wise, as a fifth seat  Wink

[Edited 2007-08-07 00:41:27]
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

cdekoe

RE: April, 1962 - Cessna Marketing Execs Get Desperate

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:30 am

OK, so how about "Dreamliner"?

"The name Dreamliner reflects a new airplane that will fulfill the dreams of airlines and passengers with its efficient operations, enhanced cabin environment, and the ability to allow profitable connection to more cities without stopovers.

"The name also demonstrates how the airplane's economics will enable more people around the world to fulfill their dreams of traveling to new places, experiencing new cultures and staying connected to one another."

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787...amily/news/2003/q2/nr_030615g.html

I'm dreaming of... lower fares???  Wink
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

SlamClick

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting 2H4 (Thread starter):
Does anyone else have examples of silly attempts to market technical aircraft features?

Also from the 60s, a radio jingle heard maybe six times nationwide over the whole decade:

It's eee-eeesy
easy to fly
And a Cess-Na (two chimes)
a Cessna can show you why

I thought it lame and I loved airplanes and wasn't exactly the Fonz myself.
Can anyone find a wave file of this?

edit: add "painfully" between "it" and "lame" on the second to last line.

[Edited 2007-08-07 20:41:37]
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

N231YE

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:21 am

Well, okay this isn't a manufacturer, but rather an airline. But it is still funny.