SBBRTech
Topic Author

The Busiest Airstrip In Congo

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Watching a CNN report about cassiterite miners in Africa (World´s Untold Stories: Congo´s Tin Soldiers), i saw this astonishing airstrip amid trees and plane wrecks. It´s the busiest strip in Congo with more than 50 planes coming and going everyday. How in the world do they manage to operate in such battered tarmac and deadly environment?

Check out the landing action from 1:40 at this link:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video.../30/wus.congo.soldiers.part.01.cnn

And the take off from 6:20 at:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video.../30/wus.congo.soldiers.part.02.cnn
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

atct

RE: The Busiest Airstrip In Congo

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:09 am

It really doesnt look "Battered". I believe they also say "15 Flights" not 50.

Ive flown into many strips that look and are ALOT worse. Anywho theyre using a LET aircraft which are pretty rugged to begin with. Anywho looks like a nice bush "strip". Alot better than many others in the Congo (or even northern Canada/Alaska).

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

SBBRTech
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting SBBRTech (Thread starter):
It really doesnt look "Battered". I believe they also say "15 Flights" not 50.

Yeah you´re right, it´s 15 actually, but still quite impressive, specially when you hear a pilot saying this ain´t such a bad strip at all !
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

PlymSpotter

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:03 am

I think that must be one of the only places in the world where a metal ore is transported by air! It is a shame about the conditions, but I'm quite sure it's not the worst example as the scale seems rather limited at just a couple of dozen tonnes a day. Nevertheless - it looks like great fun to ride on top of the bags in the aircraft - quite an adventure!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Dufo

Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Russian plane.. sure. Everything not made in Western Europe or USA is Russian.
It is made in CZECH.
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

MD11Engineer

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
I think that must be one of the only places in the world where a metal ore is transported by air! It is a shame about the conditions, but I'm quite sure it's not the worst example as the scale seems rather limited at just a couple of dozen tonnes a day. Nevertheless - it looks like great fun to ride on top of the bags in the aircraft - quite an adventure!

Dan

Some years ago I met a DC-3 pilot, who was working for a Swedish outfit, operating in Congo (back then still under Mobutu, they had to leave the country during the civil war, since looting militia soldiers, of all factions, stole and destroyed everything). They flew into air strips near mines, bringing food, spares and fuel in, while taking the produce (diamonds, gold etc.) out. The reason was that often no roads existed to remote mines, or, if roads existed, the trucks were often held up and robbed by armed gangs.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting Dufo (Reply 4):
Russian plane.. sure. Everything not made in Western Europe or USA is Russian.
It is made in CZECH.

rotfl  You are so correct in your "assumption". Love it.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo