GatorAvionics
Topic Author

Crew Scheduler's Salary

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:17 am

Hello fellow A.netters,

Just curious if anyone was aware of the approximate starting salary for an airline crew scheduler in the US.

Thanks for your help
Go Gators!!!

apodino

RE: Crew Scheduler's Salary

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:46 am

I can't speak for what it is at Mainline carriers, but at the regionals in two words, not much. I think they start in the low to mid 20s at the regional level.

I will say that they don't get paid nearly enough for the job that they do. Basically, they are the ones that have to reroute crews, and make sure that every flight has a qualified crew on it, which at my carrier, means 500 flights a day, and you have 800 pilots, and 400 flight attendants on payroll. Not only that, plus you have to deal with angry pilots, and mx issues, and ferry flights, and getting inpromptu hotels if necessary, and they have to sort through all the trip trade requests and sick calls, it is the most thankless job at the airlines. And not only that, you have to work odd hours, and get paid very little for it. Its a tough job, and at my company it has a very high turnover rate. I don't even know most of the people over there anymore, and I work in the same room as they do. Its really sad, and if it continues and you have nobody experienced left, which may well be the case at Mesa from what I have heard, you are really talking about a disaster waiting to happen.

dispatchguy

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Concur - a completely thankless job.

I said this in 1998, and it is still valid - a good crew scheduler is worth their weight in gold, and should be paid accordingly.
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

ha763

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:41 pm

I was a crew scheduler for a very short time. My starting pay broke down to a little more than $1 more than the state's minimum wage. I left after 3 months partly because of the pay, but mostly because I ended up hating the job. It is a mostly thankless job. The only time you tend to get anything is when someone wants something. You would have crew members beg for help on a trade, but when you need help, they flat out refuse.

tallguy14

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Crew schedulers at the major US carriers make around $45k/year, which is far below what they're actually worth. Another A.netter noted that crew schedulers are worth their weight in gold. I was a crew scheduling supervisor for ten years, and I couldn't agree more!

Smile

TheChadinFLL

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:02 pm

As a current Crew Scheduling Supervisor for an LCC in the US, I can tell you that my front line Crew Schedulers are extremeley underpaid!!! Heck, for that matter, as a supervisor, I am grossly underpaid. At my company the beginning Crew Scheduler starts out around 30k. We all work 4 on 4 off with each shift being about 11.5 hours.
ItsTheChad

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:40 pm

My sis is a crew scheduler with ASA. When she first got the job from the gates, she was making mid-20's I think. And their department is pretty small. She told me these stories about pilots calling and SCREAMING! Yes, fellow schedulers know exactly what i'm talking about. Anyway, she said she got use to it and she said they kind of reminded her of medallion members back at the gates and how grown men would act like children. Anyway, she's in the pilot training department now...go figure.
What gets measured gets done.

pilotboi

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:47 pm

Do crew schedulers also deal with flight planning and ship routing? If not, what kind of pay do these jobs give?

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 7):
Do crew schedulers also deal with flight planning and ship routing? If not, what kind of pay do these jobs give?

A totally different animal. That would be a dipatcher if I am not mistaken? Or at least to an extent.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:39 am

Ok well I thought back to my ramping days in ATL and the gold for any ramper would be he ops plan. Wee would all sit around for our daily brief in the morning and be handed an ops plan. It would have all the flights for the day up to like 1500 and included ship numbers, flights numbers, gates, etc. Of course it would go to trash by 0900 because of how it was with ASA and ATL but it would come from our ops tower so I guess ops deals with a/c movement and ship numbers. They would issue all the aircraft swaps, gate changes, etc.

tb727

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:37 am

A part 135 Flight Follower at my company makes in the mid 30's I think. Back when I did it for a couple years I made nearly $40k which was pretty good for a kid still in college. It's a nice mix of crew scheduling, dispatching, flight planning(to some extent) and a lot of sales(it's not as complicated as it sounds). It was a blast and every day was different! We are even hiring I think if one is willing to relocate to beautiful Ypsilanti, Michigan! It gave me a really solid understanding of the industry when I entered it on the flying side.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

FlyASAGuy2005

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting Tb727 (Reply 10):
A part 135 Flight Follower at my company makes in the mid 30's I think. Back when I did it for a couple years I made nearly $40k which was pretty good for a kid still in college. It's a nice mix of crew scheduling, dispatching, flight planning(to some extent) and a lot of sales(it's not as complicated as it sounds). It was a blast and every day was different! We are even hiring I think if one is willing to relocate to beautiful Ypsilanti, Michigan! It gave me a really solid understanding of the industry when I entered it on the flying side.

Thanks. I think it really does help to have some knowledge of the industry before you fly (not saying it makes me or you better than the other guy) but it does help. Employers like to see that too. My best friend whom now flies for AE in San Jaun (lucky son of a *&^%^) worked for AE for a number of years as a ramper and then gate agent in DFW and New York. That really helped him.