B777Neuss
Topic Author

What Is Special With The Red Squares?

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:02 am

So my next question,
on some aircraft I have seen red squares on top of the fuselage with the words "cut here in emergency". Is there something special under the skin, e.g. are there less stringers (what I don´t believe) or no air conditioning tubes? And whose decision is it to mark these areas?, not every airline has this squares.

KELPkid

RE: What Is Special With The Red Squares?

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:24 am

It's a marking for ARFF (Airport Rescue & Fire Fighting) crews to know where to cut in case it is necessary to rescue individuals trapped inside the airframe. And yes, indeed, there are usually less stringers in the areas marked  Smile
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

EMBQA

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:27 am

You answered your own question. It's just the easiest area to cut in case of an emergency. As for why...? I only see it on some airlines from Europe and not in the US. Maybe something to do with regulations.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

rwessel

Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:28 am

On some aircraft the "cut here" lines avoid potentially dangerous items inside the aircraft. For example, aircraft with ejection seats will typically have a number of pyrotechnic devices scattered around the cockpit to do things like sever lines, blow/shatter the canopy, etc. (in addition to the seat rocket, of course). Also, things like high pressure oxygen lines are best avoided, and some aircraft have fuel lines and other nasties in that general vicinity.

Viscount724

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:19 pm

But why do those "cut here in emergency" markings exist only on aircraft of certain airlines, even when operating the identical type? Many carriers do not have such markings on their aircraft. US or Canadian carriers don't have them to the best of my recollection and the same is true for many European carriers

I am guessing that it may be a regulatory requirement of certain governments only.

HAWK21M

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
Many carriers do not have such markings on their aircraft

Any Examples.

I am guessing that it may be a regulatory requirement of certain governments only.

Out here its mandatory.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

B777Neuss
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:43 am

For example LH.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Oliver Brunke

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 5):

Viscount724

Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 5):
Many carriers do not have such markings on their aircraft

Any Examples.

Try and find an A.net photo of a US or Canadian-registered aircraft with the "cut here in emergency" markings. And I am almost certain that KL/LH/LX aircraft do not have them, which seems to be confirmed by a quick photo search. I think that carriers with those markings are in the minority.

I have a feeling that the requirement may date back to some historic British requirement and was adopted mainly by certain carriers that had close links to the UK or copied their regulations. Kuwait Airways, for example, has those markings on their aircraft and Kuwait was a British protectorate until 1961.

OPNLguy

Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 3):
Also, things like high pressure oxygen lines are best avoided,

Most aircraft built since the early 1980s don't have plumbed oxygen systems like the earlier aircraft did--the newer ones use chemical oxygen generators in the PSUs overhead of the seats.

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 3):
and some aircraft have fuel lines and other nasties in that general vicinity.

I can't think of single aircraft that had fuel lines running above a passenger compartment. Check that, the Shorts 330/360 turboprops have a damn tank up there. (Never did make much sense to me--putting fuel above passengers where it could potentially leak on passengers below...)

Don't know what to attribute the different marking rules to.. I've see diagrams for the ARFF folks that tell them where the critical stuff, so they know where to look/cut, even if the markings aren't there...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

2H4

Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:11 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 8):
Never did make much sense to me--putting fuel above passengers where it could potentially leak on passengers below...

I've often wondered about Cessna's logic in placing ashtrays mere inches from fuel lines in the 172/182/etc...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

HAWK21M

Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:24 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
Try and find an A.net photo of a US or Canadian-registered aircraft with the "cut here in emergency" markings. And I am almost certain that KL/LH/LX aircraft do not have them, which seems to be confirmed by a quick photo search

What does the F.A.R. say
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

KELPkid

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 9):
I've often wondered about Cessna's logic in placing ashtrays mere inches from fuel lines in the 172/182/etc...

2H4

What kind of idiot smokes in a Cessna, anyways? Good way to run up your avionics and vacuum powered gyro repair bill, not to mention destroy the interior  yuck 

KELPkid

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 8):
I can't think of single aircraft that had fuel lines running above a passenger compartment. Check that, the Shorts 330/360 turboprops have a damn tank up there. (Never did make much sense to me--putting fuel above passengers where it could potentially leak on passengers below...)

I would imagine that all high wing types are in the same boat-Dash 8's, ATR's, Doriner 327/328, BAE 146, etc.  Wink

2H4

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:09 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 11):
What kind of idiot smokes in a Cessna, anyways?

Everyone does....even kids!

Signed,

The 1960s and 1970s.

Intentionally Left Blank

longhauler

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:53 pm

What therefore, is the pseudo outline in the forward left side if Air Canada's Embrarers:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Durning

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Kryst - YXUphoto

And the rear right side:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Keith Wahamaki

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages

It doesn't technically say "cut here" on these aircraft, but it does appear to be so.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Viscount724

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting LongHauler (Reply 14):
What therefore, is the pseudo outline in the forward left side if Air Canada's Embrarers:

That's interesting. Wonder why it's only on the Embraers? Haven't noticed anything similar on larger AC types.