CDreier
Topic Author

Football Team Charters/Airports?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:03 am

I'm sorry I couldn't think of a more specific title for the topic, but here's my question. Last Friday afternoon, Miami Air (flight 621-B738) flew the Arkansas football team charter from KXNA to KBHM. Apparently they deplaned the team at KBHM, and several hours later appeared to have deadheaded to KTCL where they waited until Saturday night for a return flight with the team from KTCL to KXNA. Why would they deplane in KBHM, but depart from KTCL? Why not deplane and depart from KTCL? Rwy length at KTCL is 6499 x 150. Thanks.

dalb777

RE: Football Team Charters/Airports?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:59 am

Quoting CDreier (Thread starter):
Why would they deplane in KBHM, but depart from KTCL? Why not deplane and depart from KTCL?

Probably because the team spent Friday night at a hotel in Birmingham, and then played Bama in Tuscaloosa. They may have even had a practice in Birmingham. Instead of driving back to BHM, they just departed out of TCL. That's probably the reason for that, but maybe there were also others.
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

CDreier
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 pm

That makes sense. Thanks!

pilotpip

Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:09 am

Could have also been a performance issue. KTCL could have a better balanced field length or something like that. Football teams bring a lot of junk along with them and the plane is usually pretty heavy.
DMI

ednovak

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 3):
Football teams bring a lot of junk along with them and the plane is usually pretty heavy.

Scariest takeoff Iv'e ever seen was an Alaska B727 taking the Seahawks back to Seattle from Milwaukee off of an 8010 ft runway. This was back in the days when the Packers would play half of their "home" games at Milwaukee's old County Stadium. I have no idea how he cleared the 7R approach lights.