Topic Author

Winglets And Moisture / Slush Build Up.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:33 am

Just today during a walk around I notice water and ice build up just at the tip of the wing where the winglets are fastened. At first I thought this was fuel. Opon closer inspection it was found to be water / slush. I checked the other wing tip and found the same accumulation. this particular aircraft is a 737-300 with the winglet mod. I walked over to the adjasent gate with a new 737NG aircraft and noticed the same thing. Water and ice accumulation is bad news. Asking around the shop no one knows of a problem, then again no one has looked for it. Nothing documented in our GMM or other references.

Anyone on this board notice this problem?

tdscanuck

RE: Winglets And Moisture / Slush Build Up.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting 9844 (Thread starter):
Anyone on this board notice this problem?

Where was it accumulating, exactly? On the upper wing skin?

Tom.

Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:36 am

Nope on the bottom of the wing. There is a panel on the fwd section of the wing tip with rivets running paralel to the leading egde. the water and slush accumulated along those rivets. From what I saw the moist area looked to be about 10" long

Hope this helps.

tdscanuck

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:30 am

Quoting 9844 (Reply 2):
Nope on the bottom of the wing. There is a panel on the fwd section of the wing tip with rivets running paralel to the leading egde. the water and slush accumulated along those rivets. From what I saw the moist area looked to be about 10" long

Sounds like the leading edge cavity ahead of the surge tank. That is a flammable fluid leakage zone so it ought to have drainage. It could be that it drains properly under flight loads when the wing tips bend up. Still, not supposed to be pooling liquid anywhere...

Tom.

N231YE

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:43 am

Could it condensation freezing?  confused  Though I do admit, at the wing tips seems out of place.

This past summer, I noticed on an MD-11 and an AN-124 that as the aircraft were refueled, a massive amount of condensation built up and dripped off the bottom of the wing, due in part from the cold fuel in the tanks cooling the ambient air around the wings past its dew point.

HAWK21M

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:14 pm

Quoting 9844 (Thread starter):
I notice water and ice build up just at the tip of the wing where the winglets are fastened

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Josh-4A7 Spotters

Could not find a B733 Winglet pic though.But is it similiar.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 3):

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 3):
Sounds like the leading edge cavity ahead of the surge tank. That is a flammable fluid leakage zone so it ought to have drainage. It could be that it drains properly under flight loads when the wing tips bend up. Still, not supposed to be pooling liquid anywhere...

I did the old smell and taste test. No fuel there. I will try and get a picture of it and post. It dosnt look like a drainage area. Just looks like a cavity covered with a panel.