wirelock

Worst Job In Maintenance

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:49 pm

so, what is the worst job you have performed during aircraft maintenance. maybe it was smelly, maybe the access was poor, maybe it was -10C?
Your experiences.....

Dalmd88

RE: Worst Job In Maintenance

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:00 pm

I always hated crawling in the vertical of the 727. There was a skin attachment inspection that required a bunch of time in there. It was hot, cramped and covered in Skydrol.

charlienorth

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:04 pm

The list is long but distinguished...  biggrin 

Anything involving the #2 engine on a DC-10..summer,winter,indoors outdoors..doesn't mattee!

Toilet tank sensors on an A320,no such thing as completely empty!

Brakes of any kind!

Removing a prop brake on an ATR,the only broke in extreme hot or extreme cold..

Checking a stab brake on a 727,now I know how coal miners feel

these are just a few I'm sure there are techs out there that will fill in more of the unpleasant jobs
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

jetmech

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:52 pm

Unblocking blocked toilets on a short turnaround and just about anything else to do with toilets and waste. Inspecting the inside of the 747 wing landing gear trunnion for cracks. Lock-wiring CF6 scavenge module mag plugs. Scraping tank sealant out of fuel tanks. Menial and repetitive work such as cabin interior work, grinding and treatment of corrosion, sealing panels and structural inspections. Spraying corrosion preventative compound and use of chemicals in general. Lubrication work.

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

charlienorth

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting JetMech (Reply 3):
Unblocking blocked toilets on a short turnaround and just about anything else to do with toilets and waste

Piss of you lead and become Chapter 38 guy...
Chemicals suck and you're right about cabin work and good luck finding cabin items in the I.P.C..throw in premium class seats and different I.F.E. and a 777 full of LHR based f.a.'s you're a busy boy!

scarebus03

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:28 am

Anything to do with toilets on any type.
Cabins in general and variable geometry seats that wont open or close on a transit.
Anything to do with a P&W JT9D.
Spoiler mixer replacement on the 747 'classic'
Rigging doors on old 737's.
Any type of job that means entering the fuel tanks.
Pylon mods on 747's.
Opening/closing the t/rev cowls on the V2500
Cleaning up after birdstrikes (engines).
Applying dinitrol especially in closed spaces.
Replacing cabin recirc filters (yeeuucckkk!!)

I'm sure we have thousands of favorites!

Brgds
SB03
No faults found......................

aogdesk

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:42 am

Any Skydrol job that required you to reach upward with your arm so that you feel it run down your hand, down your arm to your armpit....down your side.....and right into the waistband of your shorts if you were lucky...  Smile

TheCol

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 am

From what I've seen, anything to do with the shitter pretty much ruins the day for maintenance personnel and those of us that may be involved as well.

[Edited 2007-09-28 19:46:45]
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

flexo

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 6):
Any Skydrol job

Just a stupid question here: What is Skydrol?

A10WARTHOG

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting Flexo (Reply 8):

It is the Hydraulic fluid that is used on a lot of aircraft. The problem with it is that is burns when it gets on your skin. Lord help you if you get it into your eyes.

boeing767mech

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:04 am

Going on a gate call and telling the pilot your taking his airplane out of sevice. The worst part is seeing 250 faces looking at you. They act like it is my fault. I have had some people even go as far as to call me a waste disposal hole on the human body. I just laughed and said well better delayed than a smoldering hole in the ground.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

G4Doc2004

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:44 am

R&R the gear motor on King Air 100/200's
ANY interior squawks.......
R&R the ACM on a 690 Turbo Commander
R&R the ACM on a Beechjet 400A
As already stated, anything involving Skydrol on your skin
Inverter R&R on 31/35A Learjets
R&R windshields on 20 or 30 series Learjets......aaarrrggghhhh!
"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail"--Benjamin Franklin

fr8mech

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:03 am

Rudder powerpack on a DC8 in the summer.

Searching for a misting hydraulic leak in the Stab compartment of a B747.

Changing the PRBC & FAC on an old JT9-7A/AH.

Replacing an IDG that's been overserviced and burned up. You never get the smell to go away.

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 6):
Any Skydrol job that required you to reach upward with your arm so that you feel it run down your hand, down your arm to your armpit....down your side.....and right into the waistband of your shorts if you were lucky...

I'll second that, and remember to wash your hands BEFORE you take a piss.

The highest one on my list was the hydraulic pump I changed on a JT3 in Gander during the month of January. Brrrrrrrr.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

boeing767mech

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:38 am

Aug valve change on a MD-80
Changing the PTU or Reversable pump motor in a DC-10-10 or -15 lots of room but lots of mess, IE skydrol, and Aeroshell 7 or Mobil 28 on the floor of the bay.
727 APU change.
JS31/32 ACM work with the pod still on.
SA227 containment bags.
SA227 Battery Change
SA227 Flap Actuator Change.
SA227 anything.
Deice boots on a SA227,JS31/32 and SAAB 340B

David

charlienorth

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting Boeing767mech (Reply 13):
727 APU change

checkmark 
Or the APU load control valve on a 727  banghead 

Quoting Boeing767mech (Reply 10):
I have had some people even go as far as to call me a waste disposal hole on the human body. I just laughed and said well better delayed than a smoldering hole in the ground.

Been there...one time I had an A320 going to the west coast,had a problem right befor push time,I performed some magical resets and got the ac ready,some guy in FC was standing in the galley asked the flight attendant to give me a drink"on him" oh well the can of coke wasn't too bad  Smile

ex52tech

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 14):
Or the APU load control valve on a 727

That is the reason why I would change the APU generator while the APU was still mounted in the airplane.

Removing the yellow submarine (aft lav. tank) in a DC-10.

Rigging the load bar motor in the forward cargo of a DC-10, after replacing the drive chains.

Replacing the poly-mite (APU inlet duct) on a DC-10.

Replacing the #2 Hyd. reservoir on a DC-10.

Replacing the lower rudder balance weight on a DC-10.

Replacing the forward engine mounts (truss fittings) on a DC-10-30 wing pylon.

Replacing the Fuel pump, and Fuel Control on a JT-9-7Q on a 742.

Replacing the bleed valve actuator on any even numbered engine on a B-52G. J-57-43WB

Replacing the tower shaft seal on a TF-33 on a B-52H. Replacing the CSD and Generator on a TF-33 on a B-52H.

Replacing the augmentation valve on a DC-9-30 with an aft air-stair.

Replacing the PAC inlet duct on any DC-9.

Anything to do with any lav. on any airplane, at anytime.
"Saddest thing I ever witnessed....an airplane being scrapped"

Dalmd88

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:35 pm

SA227 containment bags.
SA227 Battery Change
SA227 anything.
Deice boots on a SA227

I agree on all points, you just made my respected user list. I know SA-227 anything pretty much sums it up but how about working a fuel leak on that piece of crap? I hated scrapping sealent out of those wings. The access holes were barely big enough to get your arm through and still see what you were doing with a mirror stuck to the top of the tank.

That airplane taught me that there is no place I can't fit. Given enough time and energy I know I can reach. It also taught me that the sence of touch beats out sight 90% of the time.

tdscanuck

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting A10WARTHOG (Reply 9):
Quoting Flexo (Reply 8):

It is the Hydraulic fluid that is used on a lot of aircraft. The problem with it is that is burns when it gets on your skin. Lord help you if you get it into your eyes.

Not only that, it's also a wonderful paint remover. Skydrol basically hates anything it touches, except aircraft hydraulic system components. And it's unnaturally purple.

Tom.

737tdi

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:20 pm

I did not read but the first four responses. The fuel tanks are abolutely the worst. There is no way, no how, no shit, the worst. Crawl in a cave with one opening, the one you just entered. It does not get any worse than that. The smell, lack of Oxygen the claustrophobia. the crap. There is nothing worse than the inside of a large aircraft gas tank. Trust me here don't do it.

jetmech

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 18):
There is nothing worse than the inside of a large aircraft gas tank.

Well the big ones are OK, especially the CWT and inner tanks on a 747. The small fuel tanks are the ones that are the problem.

Regards, JetMech

ilikeyyc

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 18):
I did not read but the first four responses. The fuel tanks are abolutely the worst. There is no way, no how, no shit, the worst. Crawl in a cave with one opening, the one you just entered. It does not get any worse than that. The smell, lack of Oxygen the claustrophobia. the crap. There is nothing worse than the inside of a large aircraft gas tank. Trust me here don't do it.

The fuel tanks don't bother me so much. I have been tank diving many times and prefer that over trying to un-clog a lav on the line. The first time I had to dig into the lav, I puked right into the toilet bowl.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

737tdi

Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:51 am

llikeyyc: Yes the honey pot is horrible, most folks don't realize we have to dig around in their doodoo to retrieve their lost items. It's amazing what people lose in the crapper. Cell phones, rings, watches, kids toys etc.etc.. Most of the time you don't even get a thank you?

737tdi

Dalmd88

Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:53 am

I can not understand why people throw full water bottles into MD80 Lavs. It seems to be a weekly occurance. Lav inop, will not flush/hold fluid. Sure enough there is a Dasani bottle wedged under the dump valve holding it open. A great way to start a night. Fishing around in the tank to retrive the bottle.

ilikeyyc

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 21):
Most of the time you don't even get a thank you?

Only if I fix a "crew comfort" item like a crew seatbelt pad, or a light bulb so they can read a magazine at night.

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 22):
I can not understand why people throw full water bottles into MD80 Lavs

Out of sight- out of mind. Doesn't have to be an adult, it could be a child putting a round peg in a round hole.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

aogdesk

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:40 am

Quoting Flexo (Reply 8):
Just a stupid question here:

Ain't no stupid questions here.

SFOMB67

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 12):
Rudder powerpack on a DC8 in the summer.

I'll munch to that! And then how about a DC-8 aileron reversion mechanism and an aileron curtain ( especially the inbd ).
Not as easy as originally perceived

Buzz

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi all you stalwart wrench benders and spark chasers, Buzz here. Yes, I can say that I've done many of those unpleasant tasks... even without cussing. (grin) And I don't miss any of them.
My least favorite is not horribly messy or noxious (maybe I've lost my sense of smell?) , it's un-clogging the galley sink drains in any of the narrow body fleet.
The plumbing is small diameter, doesn't take a lot of coffee grounds or mini-bottle caps to clog things. And access isn't good, and finding where the drain lines go through the airplane is a chore.

Skydrol... well, it is something I can sort of keep at arm's length. Yes, I've felt the burn as it sucks the moisture out of your skin or eyeballs, or more personal appendages.
Toilets... take off the dump valve and pull out the offending objects. Grumble about the kind of people who toss things in any convenient hole. Not nice, but I can do it in 45 minutes.
Wrestling an IDG back in place on a wet, cold night isn't fun, slipping and sliding and can't get traction.

One frustration: ever change some of the relays on a 757? In the P36 panel (and a few other places) they are tiny screws - made of nice, non-magnetic stainless steel. So you drop the hardware... a lot. Hemostats are god for picking up the little dropped goodies. And you try not to touch some socket that's still got power on it... zorch!

g'day

saintsman

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting A10WARTHOG (Reply 9):
Quoting Flexo (Reply 8):

To be fair its not that bad. To say that it burns on skin contact makes it sound like some sort of acid. It can sting but I never found it a problem, though as an avionics man I only got it on my hands if I fell over  Wink

Working at full stretch on a cherry picker in the wind and rain wasn't my favourate task, especially when trying to wirelock a plug that you couldn't see.

qslinger

Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 2):
stab brake on a 727

Quoting Scarebus03 (Reply 5):
Spoiler mixer

Whats a stab brake and Spoiler Mixer?
Raj Koona

wirelock

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:44 am

aircraft sanding is terrible work. the noise , the dirt, the heat... full PPE. and at end of shift every nook and cranny of the body with dust in it. Also tech wash is terrible work. not only the chemicals that must be applied but when the area is power hosed invariably half of it (skydrol, grease,dirt, dead insects etc) end up all over you. on the mechanical side jobs that made me swear a bit were the installation of MD80 NLG insulation blankets. also any cargo work on small aircraft... on your knees all day working... not nice.. oh ya and skydrol... any1 ever get in there eye use milk it neutralizes it very quickly

ex52tech

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Qslinger (Reply 28):
Whats a stab brake and Spoiler Mixer?

Stab brake aids in stopping the stabilizer trim motor when the stabilizer jack screw is in motion. Works also if you are trimming the stab. in one direction and pull the control column in the opposite direction. The jack screw is heavy, and with some air loading..... the brake takes the stress off of the stab trim motor.

Spoiler mixers add some spoiler lift with aileron turning inputs from the yoke. So the spoilers can aid in turning the aircraft. The more aileron input, the more spoiler lift or input you get. You get so many degree's of aileron input before the mixer will cause the spoilers to start to lift. Each aircraft has a different point in which the spoilers will lift. Airbus does all this with computers, which is nice.

Hope that helps.

Ex.

Dougloid

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 16):
SA227 containment bags.
SA227 Battery Change
SA227 anything.
Deice boots on a SA227

I agree on all points, you just made my respected user list. I know SA-227 anything pretty much sums it up but how about working a fuel leak on that piece of crap? I hated scrapping sealent out of those wings. The access holes were barely big enough to get your arm through and still see what you were doing with a mirror stuck to the top of the tank.

That airplane taught me that there is no place I can't fit. Given enough time and energy I know I can reach. It also taught me that the sence of touch beats out sight 90% of the time.

Yep. I have seen that elephant as the boys in Grant's Army of the Potomac used to say. Actually went to the Fairchild tank reseal school in San Antonio....sheesh. I learned that the design life of 1422 is 12 years.

Probably the worst job I ever experienced was doing a fuel tank mod on Canadair Challengers. The drill went like this.

Open up tank door . Put hands/arms over head. Push up in. Turn 180 degrees. Pull self in. You're now lying on your back facing forward. Ignore the darkness and the puddles of fuel. Stick your arms over your head where you can't see and dissassemble and remove nearly all the plumbing in the forward end of the bay. Lift it over you and dump it out the hole. Install all new, different plumbing and account for all the couplings because you dropped some of them in there somewhere, in the dark. Reach over your head and drill holes for hilocks to mount new sense valves. Install everything. Climb out in reverse.

Congratulations. You have spent four days inside the wing tank of a Canadair Challenger. Have fun at home watching your skin peel because of the fuel puddle you were lying in.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

skidmarks

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Anything that involves getting into, or invovled in, fuel tanks. The worse ones I found were Jaguar N1 and N2 (Military I know, but relevant). Scraping PRC from any aircraft tank is mind blowingly boring, difficult and incredibly suicidal-thought forming!

Changing the RH oil cooler on a Puma in the heat of Belize, when the engine was still hot. THAT hurt!

Cleaning dead bird from an engine and intake - the smell is something else!

No doubt there were many more tasks I hated but my memory has shut them away from me so I stay sane! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

jetmech

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:01 am

Changing the pre-coolers on a Rolls-Royce powered 767. You can move the pre-cooler in a direction to get just enough room either in front or behind the pre-cooler to painfully attach stuff, but not both ends at the same time. In terms of job complexity, it is nothing too hard at all, but the access makes it a knuckle skinning, claret drawing, expletive riddled nightmare!

Regards, JetMech

[Edited 2007-10-02 17:02:41]

Mike89406

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:27 am

Hmm interesting . Changing rudder actuators in a EA-6B prowler you have to wiggle in in and out turn sideways to fit in then you have to make sure you dont cross-thread the 4 hydraulic lines because you can't see that good and you have to rely on you're own stability.

Rigging a EA-6B flight control system

Sanding or painting on aircraft the solvents and paints are extremely toxic, plus the barrier suit you have to wear.

Fuel Cell work on a jet takes forever.

Getting brand new or reworked planes the paint and sealant makes it extremely hard to remove panels on an acceptance inspection without stripping some screws. Especially on the F/A-18 E/F becuase of the star pattern threads.

boeing767mech

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:28 am

767 with GE's PRSOV valve change.

David

ex52tech

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:16 pm

e=Wirelock,reply=29]oh ya [quotand skydrol... any1 ever get in there eye use milk it neutralizes it very quickly[/quote]

I hate to sound like a pain in the ass, but as milk will work, it also leaves a calcium deposit on your eyeball.......not good I hear. I have used it though, as I was running around, blinded, and careening off every sharp edge on the airplane. Scared the hell out of the flight attendant when I burst through the airstair door and yelled for a carton of milk, then poured it in my eyes. Olive oil is the preferred agent, there is usually a bottle in any first aid kit in any maintenance area, if you can get there before you burn your eyes out of your skull.

Quoting Boeing767mech (Reply 35):

That is so true, and they fail a lot.

When I thought of the 762, that was what came to mind first thing, your right, they suck. You have to turn the valve um-teen different ways and then hold your mouth right, before that sucker will come out of that little panel.

Dougloid

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting Ex52tech (Reply 36):
of the flight attendant when I burst through the airstair door and yelled for a carton of milk, then poured it in my eyes. Olive oil is the preferred agent, there is usually a bottle in any first aid kit in any maintenance area, if you can get there before you burn your eyes out of your skull.

Always kept a squeeze bottle in my rollaway for just such things as these. Another thing I kept was a couple books of paper matches. If a mate got some piece of junk in his eye the torn end of a paper match will make a nice soft tool to latch onto the piece of junk and lift it out before it causes serious damage.

twincommander

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting G4Doc2004 (Reply 11):
R&R the ACM on a 690 Turbo Commander

they arnt that bad... depends on which system it has installed.

SA227 anything.

agreed. though i would like to add that calibrating the steering system on either a 227 or a 226 sucks balls too.

had a rather large exec-jet collapse off the load cells while i was jacking under a wing... ide rather clean clogged toilets than to ever experience that again.

kbfispotter

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting Ex52tech (Reply 36):
Olive oil is the preferred agent, there is usually a bottle in any first aid kit in any maintenance area, if you can get there before you burn your eyes out of your skull

I have always been told mineral oil works well for skydrol... Luckily, I have not had the pleasure of getting some in my eye.

It seems that the lavs are one of the worst jobs per this thread... any day you have to go "fishing for brown trout" is a bad day. We have rampers here who seam to overfill a lav on a weekly basis, sometimes before they empty them, then it gets really interesting!

Trying to rig the power and condition levers on any DHC-8 is a nightmare: you have to crawl beneath the center pedestal in the flightdeck, and there is little to no room to get down there. Once down there, though, it can be comfortable, until it is time to try and come out! You are either on you back or stomach the whole time, and the onyl way to get in there is to go head first, not easy! Changing a prop on the Dash 8 Q400 is not a bad task, until you try to do it outdoors in either the driving rain or in the snow...

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

Dougloid

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:14 pm

Quoting KBFIspotter (Reply 39):
Trying to rig the power and condition levers on any DHC-8 is a nightmare: you have to crawl beneath the center pedestal in the flightdeck, and there is little to no room to get down there. Once down there, though, it can be comfortable, until it is time to try and come out! You are either on you back or stomach the whole time, and the onyl way to get in there is to go head first, not easy! Changing a prop on the Dash 8 Q400 is not a bad task, until you try to do it outdoors in either the driving rain or in the snow...

I feel your pain. One time on a roadtrrip I had to do a gearbox inspection on a Garrett powered conquest and reset the NTS trip torque in a snowstorm out on the ramp. That was on an island in Lake Michigan in December.

CALTECH

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:40 am

Waste system problems, especially on turn-arounds. Anything outside in the cold that takes a lot of time such as brake changes on Boeing 727 or 737, or DC-9s, CSD changes at -25 below, engine changes. One of the worst, a 727 center fuel tank bladder cell change, very tedious, dark, you don't want to stop when it is the furthest one from the access panel, such a pain to get in and out of.
Worst job I also remember is when a fellow airman watched, as the B-52 landed that he loaded the drag chute on, and watching that drag chute blossom beautifully, then sag to the ground as it was not attached correctly. Those hand cranks could be so troublesome
UNITED Would Be Nice

OzTech

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:11 pm

I'm going to go one further than that and say "anything on a 767 " apart from a nose wheel change and literally anything on a CF6 or a 7R4.... Give me an RB211 D or G any day..

I know I'm going to be flamed big time over this but the RR is so much more maintenance friendly.. Yes I know it's heavier and guzzles more fuel etc etc... I've heard all the arguments ad nauseam...

One more thing, I'm not knocking Boeing, I've worked on 707-200/300, 737-200/300/700/800, 767-200/300, 747-200/300/400/SP, 777-200/300, DC10, MD11, A300, A320 & A330. I would have to say that the Airbii are cleaner to work on but they do use some damn stupid screw heads and bolt head/nut size combinations. Tha Airbii components are also installed with a bit of common sense against the Boeing mentality of "just make the damn thing fit" They also require less greasing which can't be a bad thing..

One job that really springs to mind from my days on the line was changing a wheel or brake on the I/B side of the body gear on a 747.. The rain would come off the fuse like Niagara Falls right above your head.... Oh and of course doing a fuel magna stick check with a dick head flight engineer who would argue over a 20 Kg discrepancy... and of course getting "the look" from a smart ass 21 year old first officer when you arrive in the flight deck soaked to the skin and hand him a damp fuel sheet... I'm sorry sir, did your coffee get cold while I was downstairs in near hurricane conditions pumping 167000Kg of fuel to get you safely to LAX for your 5 day layover......
No defect too big, no defect too small, nothing in the log --- No defect at all !!

ex52tech

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting OzTech (Reply 42):
Boeing mentality of "just make the damn thing fit"

I always thought of it as " It will never break, why would you need to get at it" P&W had that mentality on all JT-9s on the 741 & 742 aircraft. Especially the -7Qs.

Hey, I just thought of a really bad job........... Lacing the lower aux bladder tank in a DC-10-30, or -40. If you even have an inkling of being claustrophobic, do not go in there.

DC8FriendShip

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:44 am

anything in the nacelles of a DHC-8, changing the nose gear door selector valve on a CRJ-200, main gear brake line swivel on a CRJ-200, parking brake cable on a CRJ, anything lav related,
Come fly the Friendly Skies of United

Max Q

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:30 am

You Gentlemen (and ladies) have my genuine utmost respect and admiration for an incredible job performed under brutal, even downright scary conditions.

Words don't suffice, really..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

fr8mech

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:49 am

767 with GE's PRSOV valve change

You know, I've done dozens of them and never really had a problem. I always remove the hinged panel completely. That extra inch or so makes the difference.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

kbfispotter

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:45 am

Quoting DC8FriendShip (Reply 44):
anything in the nacelles of a DHC-8

The engines themselves are really not all that bad... It is everything aft of the firewall (read that as the MLG bays!) that suck, and this goes for both the 200 and the 400.

I have changed out MFC / Fuel pump combos on DHC-8-200s in the rain before, and that never bothers me. What really bothers me on that task is when you first disconnect the fuel lines, and all the residual fuel that is in the line after you pulled the cockpit "T" handle comes flowing out right onto you. I have found it kind of hard to do this and not get any fuel on you in one way or another. The good thing is that the rain washes some of the fuel off of you, so you do not smell THAT bad, but you still smell like Jet-A. The worst job I have done on the PWC-150A in the Q400 is changing the engine harness. That job can be a real b**ch trying to get all of the clamps to line up correctly. Some cowerkers tend to complain about changing out prop blades on the Q400, and I find them kind of fun, but changing an entire prop is a different story! The prop beta tube can be a pain in the a** to adjust just right. You almost never get it right he first time, and if you don't, you need to remember some very important steps that are not in the AMM, or you have to go back to the very beginning!!!

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

Panman

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting OzTech (Reply 42):
I would have to say that the Airbii are cleaner to work on but they do use some damn stupid screw heads and bolt head/nut size combinations.

I will take a Boeing over an Airbus any day. It seems airbus does things the way they do because they don't want to do it like Boeing. Hence 11/32" and 9/32" nuts when 3/8" or 1/4" would do. Personally I have a theory that there is a private competition going on between Airbus and Boeing titled "Why make it easy to do when you can make it hard?" Can anybody say flap downdrive gearbox #2 on an airbus. Who thought up wirelocking by mirror?

Worst job I ever had was changing the water seperator on a toilet tank on an A320. Having never done the job before I did not know what to expect. Plus it never occured to me to ask "seperate water from what?". It took a lot of self-discipline to stop me emptying my guts all over the aft cargo bay floor. And to think I almost didn't wear gloves.

Removing corrosion on rib 5 on an A320 is another one I hate. It takes 4 shifts to complete and consists of some poor soul spending 12 hours of a 12 hour shift with a grinding tool at the top of the landing gear grinding away at a hardened lightening hole. Guaranteed you struggle to stay awake after an hour doing that one!

Skydrol? Pah, never had a problem with it on my skin. Hence I get called for a lot of hydraulic snags. In my eye is a different matter, but on the skin? Yer all a buncha sissies.

Panman

boeing767mech

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:48 pm

Latest job I have been part of that sucks is Thrust Reverser changes on the 757's we hAAve. It's just 7 bolts to bolt up the reverser, The part that sucks is rigging the bifucation duch bumpers and the latches. After being on another airplane for 25K hours they take a little tweeting to rig and latch to the new airframe.

David

PS. RB211-535E5 engines