Blackbird
Topic Author

Red Bull Air Races / Edge-540 Aircraft

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Just out of curiousity, what qualifications does a person have to have to fly an aerobatic plane like an Edge-540? Also what qualifications does a person have to have to be in an Air Race like that?

No, I'm not planning on becoming an aerobatics pilot, I'm just curious what qualifications a person must go through to fly such a high performance vehicle under such difficult conditions (flying it through the pylons and stuff)

Andrea Kent

Soku39

RE: Red Bull Air Races / Edge-540 Aircraft

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Thread starter):
Just out of curiousity, what qualifications does a person have to have to fly an aerobatic plane like an Edge-540?

For the races in the United States a Private Pilot, Single Engine Land, with a tailwheel endorsment if you learned on a tricycle gear. Also high performance as the plane is more than 201 HP. I'm not sure about JAA countries (European, Asian).

Quoting Blackbird (Thread starter):
Also what qualifications does a person have to have to be in an Air Race like that?

A ton of money... Kidding of course, to this I have no idea.

To hold the event and fly that low to property the event opeartor would need a Letter of Authorization.

[Edited 2007-10-13 13:11:54]
The Ohio Player

9VSIO

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:18 pm

From what I hear, Red Bull actually has a qualification process for prospective pilots held way before the season starts to ensure that a standard is applied. Aside from the standard pilots licenses, I don't believe anything else is necessary, but it's been a while since I did air-law.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

n710ps

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:29 am

Eitherway the airmen ship skills of those guys is quite impressive. I was watching the London race a few days ago and just WOW. I want an Extra!
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

Blackbird
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:16 am

PPL, Single Engine, Land, Tailwheel Endorsement, and high performance rating?

And they'd have to pass a special qualification process...

Andrea Kent

9VSIO

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting N710PS (Reply 3):
I want an Extra!

No you don't! You want the Zivko Edge 540. Or Nigel Lamb's MX a/c when they finally finish prototyping it :P
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

Blackbird
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:32 pm

I heard about the MX-2 I think... in what ways is its performance better than the Edge-540?

Andrea Kent

atct

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:53 am

All of the guys flying the Air Race have years of experience as airshow and IAC competition pilots. All have gone from ranks of amateur through unlimited aerobatics.

http://www.iac.org/begin/started.html

Check out that site for that measure.

Anywho there are lots of good flight schools for current pilots who will teach you entry through unlimited aerobatics. A couple are here...

http://executiveflyers.com/index.html Mike Goulian's School
http://www.tutimaacademy.com/ Sean Tucker's School
http://harveyrihn.com/ Debbie Rihn-Harvey's School

-ATCT
(aerobatic student)

[Edited 2007-10-14 18:53:32]
Trikes are for kids!

n710ps

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:00 am

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 549 File size: 166kb
Trying to look cool in front of a plane I am sure I would dig the wing into the ground on.

Heres one I would not mind throwing the stick around on.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

KELPkid

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:40 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 4):
PPL, Single Engine, Land, Tailwheel Endorsement, and high performance rating?

And they'd have to pass a special qualification process...

Andrea Kent

Also, to legally perform aerobatics (in the US, at least) you need an aerobatic endorsement. You could fly an aerobatic aircraft without it, but you could not exceed 60 degrees of bank or 30 degrees above or below the horizon in any maneuver. That's like handing a kid the keys to a Porsche or Mustang GT and telling them not to do burnouts

EDIT: also, to perform aerobatics in front of a crowd at altitudes lower than 1000 feet requires yet another endorsement (on top of an aerobatics endorsement).

[Edited 2007-10-15 13:44:56]
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

joness0154

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 9):
Also, to legally perform aerobatics (in the US, at least) you need an aerobatic endorsement. You could fly an aerobatic aircraft without it, but you could not exceed 60 degrees of bank or 30 degrees above or below the horizon in any maneuver. That's like handing a kid the keys to a Porsche or Mustang GT and telling them not to do burnouts

I've never heard of an aerobatic endorsement to fly aerobatics, and I'm a card carrying IAC member. You just have to be rated in category, class, and have the required endorsements (tailwheel, high performance, etc) and wear a parachute if more than one person (non crewmember) on board.

You do, however, have to have a spin endorsement to become a CFI.

If you want to perform low level aerobatics, you need a waiver but there is no endorsement for that either as far as I know.

I could be wrong though, but i've never heard of either.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

atct

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 10):
I've never heard of an aerobatic endorsement to fly aerobatics, and I'm a card carrying IAC member. You just have to be rated in category, class, and have the required endorsements (tailwheel, high performance, etc) and wear a parachute if more than one person (non crewmember) on board.

Same here. (IAC, EAA Member)

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

9VSIO

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:29 pm

In the UK, there is an AOPA Aerobatics Certificate/Course, all it means is that you are proficient at performing areos. You don't actually need it to do aeros...