luisinho

Altitude Callouts

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Hii folcks!  Big grin

I was making so updates to my Flight simulator panels, to make them more realistic  stirthepot  , and one thing that bothered me is:
- When the cockpits started to feature automated altitude callouts on landings... that famous four hundred, two hundred.... one hundred, fifty, fourty, thirty, tweenty... teen... BOUUMMM CRASSHHHH ahaha  crackup 

Did the 707 add this feature? What was the first to have this? the DC-10? 737-200?

Thanks in advance...

bye!!!

wave 

Jetlagged

RE: Altitude Callouts

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting Luisinho (Thread starter):
Did the 707 add this feature? What was the first to have this? the DC-10? 737-200?

Altitude callouts on Boeings usually come from the GPWS, so a 707 retrofitted with a modern GPWS or EGPWS will have callouts. I forget which version of GPWS introduced radio altitude voice callouts (Mk V maybe?). As built the 707 had no altitude callouts, but some radio altimeters of that period used to produce a rising tone on the audio system as altitude decreased from 50 ft to zero.

So altitude callouts were introduced by GPWS technology, rather than a particular aircraft type. Since then some manufacturers, e.g. Airbus, have used their own audio warning systems to provide callouts, rather than use the default GPWS voice.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.