BALandorLivery
Topic Author

Headset Problems

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:49 am

Hi all,

I recently bought a TELEX ANR 850 and used it for the first time yesterday on an Airbus but there was a significant problem.

Whenever the intercom is on there is an unbearable high pitch sound in the background. Therefore I had to keep the intercom off. However even with this off ATC complained of a high pitch background noise and so did the cabin crew when I made a PA to the passengers.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions as to what this is and how it can be resolved?

I am yet to hear from TELEX as it's the weekend.

Cheers

kearney

RE: Headset Problems

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:41 am

I dont know much about headsets, but i just recently bought one. In my research stage I remember reading that some ANR's don't work well with some intercom's... do you really need ANR when flying an airbus anyways?!

avioniker

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:50 pm

You have an impedence mismatch with your headset mic and the input to the audio control circuit.
Find out what you should have on your data sheet that came with the headset and then ask whoever sold it to you for a new headset. It's my experience that it should work with the Airbus systems but it's close to the limit for some of the interface units. Especially if they're getting a little long in the tooth. There's nothing you can do (legally) to resolve the problem aside from replacing it.

[Edited 2007-10-29 13:53:19]
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

pilotpip

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:01 am

I'd agree with the impedence thing. I've had it happen in GA aircraft with older intercoms and have heard of people with Bose headsets having trouble in the ERJ.

Perhaps give Telex a call. They may be able to help.
DMI

BALandorLivery
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:00 pm

I have spoken to Telex who said that they have not heard of this problem so I have sent it back for a replacement.

Can you please further explain what impedence is?

avioniker

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:07 pm

Nothing against Telex but next time ask to speak to a rep that actually has some experience with the product. It's not at all uncommon in the air carrier world.
Best of luck
 Smile
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

BALandorLivery
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 pm

So should a replacement headset of the same model solve the problem?

avioniker

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:34 pm

That's why you want to check the input impedence your headset's rated for.
Ask one of your maint or avionics types to check the CMM/AMM for the Audio Control System and RIU/REU input impedence on your company's aircraft. There are only a couple of systems in use on the 320 series and I honestly don't remember if there's any difference. If the headset is close to the outside edge of the tolerance I'd look into another model. If you're close to the nominal then you simply got one that was defective and a new identical set will solve the problem. It's also very possible that the plane you were on has an integration unit going south and that's a whole other ball of worms.
When all else fails ask your colleagues what they're using.
Best of luck
 Smile