Starlionblue
Topic Author

Do Airliners Have Microwave Ovens?

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:51 am

A friend of mine was wondering. I was like "ehm....? I have no clue, but I know a place..."

[Edited 2007-11-12 00:54:18]

[Edited 2007-11-12 00:54:57]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

oly720man

RE: Do Airliners Have Microwave Ovens?

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:52 am

http://www.jamco.co.jp/e/e-interiors/e-galley/microwave.html

Well, they exist... but seemingly more for executive aircraft.

edit added....

The introduction of the A330-200 showcases the carrier's new generation of business class, Premium Laurel. EVA's new, redesigned and upgraded business class offers seating with a generous 61-inch pitch, and gives travelers unparalleled control over seat adjustments. Additional amenities include each business seat is equipped with a 10.4-inch VGA LCD monitor, hi-fi noise-cancellation earphones, to-order galley, wine chiller, microwave oven, steam oven and expresso machine in the galley, ensuring that piping-hot food and fresh coffee is available at all times.

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/engli...+Premium+Laurel+Business+Class.htm

Microwaves for business class....

[Edited 2007-11-12 03:55:24]
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Starlionblue
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Thanks man. Awesome.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Mir

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:09 pm

So the regular ovens are convection ovens then?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

wilco737

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:11 pm

Even if my MD11F would've a microwave oven, I wouldn't use it because I blew up 2 microwaves already  stirthepot 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Starlionblue
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:31 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
So the regular ovens are convection ovens then

Since they work with several trays, convection would seem to me the only practical method.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
So the regular ovens are convection ovens then?

All the ovens I have seen are convection ovens. Remember all the meals are covered with aluminum foil and that does not work well in a microwave.

roseflyer

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Almost all ovens on airplanes are convection ovens.

Some planes are equipped with microwave ovens. However they are not the same power as typical microwave ovens, so you'll likely blow something up if you put it in there and it isn't designed for that specific microwave oven.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

9VSIO

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:10 pm

I was told that SQ does have a small microwave for its First Class galley on the 744. And that it was ludicrously expensive Big grin

I'm sure there was a story a while back about BA cabin crew receiving a memo as some of then kept using ovens to reheat meals bought from the supermarket which were not designed for the power output of a/c ovens resulting in damage to equipment. I can't remember if it was referring to a standard oven or a microwave.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

airfoilsguy

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 8):
'm sure there was a story a while back about BA cabin crew receiving a memo as some of then kept using ovens to reheat meals bought from the supermarket which were not designed for the power output of a/c ovens resulting in damage to equipment.

Exploding curry costs BA £20,000 by Hannah Summers. Monday, 21 May 2007 British Airways has banned staff from using microwaves for non-airline food after an exploding curry cost the company £20, 000 in damages.

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Sat...15765%26suffix%3DArticleController
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

bond007

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 9):
Exploding curry

I've had many similar experiences .... but in a different context  Smile

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Mir

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 6):
Remember all the meals are covered with aluminum foil and that does not work well in a microwave.

Right you are, I forgot about that.

Just like I did the last time I put something wrapped in aluminum foil in a microwave.  flamed   embarrassed 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JAGflyer

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:17 pm

BA's food is so bad the cabin crew need to bring their own? LOL
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 4):
I blew up 2 microwaves already

What part of "remove foil" don't you understand ?  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

wilco737

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
What part of "remove foil" don't you understand ? Smile

well, the "remove" part Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

pmk

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:45 am

Well I'll tell you that the Falcon 50 my previous employer had a microwave, according our purchasing people it was as stated above ridiculously expensive. It was a GE Spacemaker microwave that had been TSO'd by another company.

For what it's worth.

PMK

HAWK21M

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:59 am

Used mainly in some Exec jets.The non metallic containers are another reason too.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Tod

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:12 pm

Quoting Pmk (Reply 15):
Well I'll tell you that the Falcon 50 my previous employer had a microwave, according our purchasing people it was as stated above ridiculously expensive. It was a GE Spacemaker microwave that had been TSO'd by another company.

Good money to be made certifying common off the shelf appliances.

I'll sure a certain airline customer of B/E must have been impressed when they saw how little the same rice cooker sold for at Costco. If memory serves me right it was about 10 percent of the certified component price.

KELPkid

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:06 pm

Quoting Pmk (Reply 15):

For what it's worth.

PMK

As are many things over in GA land. Your 1968 Cessna 172 loose an alternator? Go down to the auto parts store and get a replacement Motorcraft 1965 Ford Mustang alternator  Wink However, it will lack the FAA PMA approval, although it will be much cheaper than the PMA'd version...

I've also seen that early O-470 powered birds with 12-volt electrical systems (like late 1960's Cessna 182's) use the same starter as Chrysler Hemi engines from the same era...  Smile

I'm sure the same extends to components such as fuel tank sending units, lighter plug sockets, etc. etc.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

tom775257

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:54 pm

On the A320 I fly, we have steam ovens, that are convection ovens with added steam to stop the food from drying out. I assume this is fairly standard.

bond007

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:09 pm

LOL ... it appears some think the reason that microwaves aren't used is just because the meals are covered in metal foil  Smile

Perhaps that's because they're NOT being used in microwave ovens, but convection ovens. I'm going out on a limb here (!), but I assume it would be an easy task to put the meals in non-metallic trays if we decided to use microwaves. I don't think the deciding factor on whether to use microwaves or not, was because the meals were in metal trays.

As others has mentioned, I believe size has something to do with it. Never seen a big microwave with multiple shelves ... although I'm sure they exist. Another reason may be the way that a microwave cooks.. you can pretty much put a tray of any food in a convection oven for x minutes, and it'll get hot/warm, and you can turn it down and keep stuff warm. A microwave is a different matter ... put it on for one minute and some stuff will be boiling and other stuff cold ... a less foolproof method IMO.

BUT ... I'm sure they do have them on some aircraft, because I read somewhere about a "microwave landing system" ... and I understand GE was definitely involved in the technology ... so perhaps that DOES use the GE Spacemaker  Wink

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Starlionblue
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 20):
Perhaps that's because they're NOT being used in microwave ovens, but convection ovens. I'm going out on a limb here (!), but I assume it would be an easy task to put the meals in non-metallic trays if we decided to use microwaves. I don't think the deciding factor on whether to use microwaves or not, was because the meals were in metal trays.

Hehe. Quite right.  Wink

wilco737

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:53 am

I still prefer the conventional oven... I guess there is already enough radiation in the air  stirthepot 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

HAWK21M

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 18):
As are many things over in GA land. Your 1968 Cessna 172 loose an alternator? Go down to the auto parts store and get a replacement Motorcraft 1965 Ford Mustang alternator However, it will lack the FAA PMA approval, although it will be much cheaper than the PMA'd version...

But that would render the Aircraft Unairworthy.

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 20):
it appears some think the reason that microwaves aren't used is just because the meals are covered in metal foil

True  Smile
But I guess what most are pointing out is as long as meals are packed in metal foils they cant be used with a microwave.If the trend of Microwave use on Aircraft catches up,The changing over to non metallic containers is not a big job.

regds
MEL

Tristarsteve

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:22 pm

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 8):
I'm sure there was a story a while back about BA cabin crew receiving a memo as some of then kept using ovens to reheat meals bought from the supermarket which were not designed for the power output of a/c ovens resulting in damage to equipment. I can't remember if it was referring to a standard oven or a microwave.

BA has fitted one microwave oven in its latest refit of the long haul fleet.
It is not used for regular meals.
It is used for warm between meal snacks that are available in business class.

KELPkid

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 23):

That's why I said it with a wink  Wink IIRC, the only technical difference between the straight automotive alternator from my example above and Cessna's PMA'd alternator is that the PMA'd version has passed an extra inspection, and had a Cessna part number label glued over the Motorcraft title cast into the alternator housing. I am in no way condoning replacing parts with non-airworthy replacements...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

jetstar

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 18):
As are many things over in GA land. Your 1968 Cessna 172 loose an alternator? Go down to the auto parts store and get a replacement Motorcraft 1965 Ford Mustang alternator However, it will lack the FAA PMA approval, although it will be much cheaper than the PMA'd version

Even the voltage regulator was a Ford part

But it is not legal, it could be exactly the same alternator, but if the alternator does not have PMA approval, an STC or Cessna approval, it cannot be used.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 23):

If you are using any non certified part, then your aircraft is not in compliance with its type certificate and technically it falls into the experimental category with all its limitations, but it is not un-airworthy

That’s what STC’s are for, if someone wants to go through the costs of certifying the part, then you could use the automotive alternator by purchasing the STC, either with the alternator or just the STC paperwork itself. That’s how autogas got certified, someone went through the certifying procedure and in most cases all you have to do is buy a piece of paper to be legal.

In my A&P days working on light aircraft, on occasion we would get in an airplane for an annual with some homemade or other non certified item on it. We would tell the owner we could not do the annual because it was not in compliance with the type certificate.

I have seen airplanes with a short wave radio installed, an additional battery in the baggage compartment added without proper venting, car stereo’s hardwired into the electrical system with no circuit protection, airplanes re-carpeted with carpet from the local carpet store and seats re-upholstered by a local boat shop, with material not certified for use on aircraft, just to name a few things owners have done to their airplanes

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 26):
If you are using any non certified part, then your aircraft is not in compliance with its type certificate and technically it falls into the experimental category with all its limitations, but it is not un-airworthy

What I meant is Unairworthy on paper.

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 26):
someone went through the certifying procedure and in most cases all you have to do is buy a piece of paper to be legal.

True it needs to be approved by the Regulatory Authority.

regds
MEL