pmk

Where Can I Buy Used BizJet Seats?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:07 pm

Just as it says, I know where I can buy new ones if I'm willing to spend vast amounts of money but I'm looking to buy used ones. I'm in the design stages of building a large motorcoach and I'd like to use A/C seats as they are more robustly built than RV seating and have greater flexibility in adjustment.

Anybody know a guy??

Thanks!

PMK

EMBQA

RE: Where Can I Buy Used BizJet Seats?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:20 pm

They will be VERY-VERY hard to find. In most cases business jets fly so little the seats get very little use and last for a long time. Also, the seats are normally recovered, not removed if the owner decides to change colors.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

pilotpip

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:20 pm

Plus they're going to be stupid expensive.

What are you going to be doing with an RV that warrants fire resistience and high g impact strenght anyway?  Wow!
DMI

pmk

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 2):
What are you going to be doing with an RV that warrants fire resistience and high g impact strenght anyway? Wow!

As I said they more and better adjustment, as far as strength, have you looked a the crap flexsteel makes for RV's??

PMK

pilotpip

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:30 am

Most I've seen only have basic recline functions and in some cases, adjustable lumbar support. A few swivel around but I'd imagine these things would cost thousands. Replacement seats for something as simple as a 172 are a couple hundred a piece.
DMI

jetstar

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:14 am

I would talk to some of the corporate interior refurbishment centers around to see if they ever get any old seats. All parts removed are the property of the aircraft owner and it is the aircraft owner’s responsibility to dispose of the seats. I am sure the aircraft owner would gladly give them away, but I would safely say that the seats would never see the light of day, as someone within the interior company would grab them as soon as they were available freeing the owner for paying for the disposal.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
They will be VERY-VERY hard to find. In most cases business jets fly so little the seats get very little use and last for a long time. Also, the seats are normally recovered, not removed if the owner decides to change colors.

I agree, almost all corporate operators refurbish their interiors along with a new paint job every 5 to 7 years and just recover the seats and sidewalls and install new carpeting. Even when the airplane is resold the new owner will usually do the same. Vary rarely will they purchase new cabin seats unless they are doing a total gut and completion, and that is not very common.

When we had our JetStar refurbished and repainted we decided to purchase 6 new cabin seats because the original seats that were in the airplane were 15 years old and worn out mechanically and the company who made them was no longer in business so parts were hard to find. Before we did the refurbishment we did a major inspection at our home base and I left the seats back at our base. I gave the seats to the son of one of the mechanics who was working on the airplane and he put 4 of them in his van. He did a nice job of mounting them and was able to use all the functions including the swivel feature.

RC135U

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:58 pm

eBay has these kinds of items. Just browsing I found some MD-80 cockpit seats (@ $990 ea + $250 shipping). Look under "AeroLiquidatorStore" too. Good luck.

[Edited 2007-11-17 14:04:20]

soon7x7

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:05 am

Send me an email, I will pass along some phone numbers,they are not as hard to find as you think...as usual...seats now have so many articulating features that older ones are frequently removed,while private charters are now flying the h_ll out of their eqpmnt and do re design interior layouts constantly...jerry