CoolGuy
Topic Author

Runway Lighting With Displaced Threshold

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:12 am

How do lighting systems work if there is a displaced threshold? All those lights can't be on the runway, so how does this work. I think runway lighting systems are pretty cool too, any recommendations to look at online?

Jetlagged

RE: Runway Lighting With Displaced Threshold

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:32 pm

The only difference with a displaced threshold is that the approach lighting is not elevated above the runway surface.

The FAA website has some information about runway lighting systems.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

N231YE

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:12 pm

I believe they would be placed inside the ground (like centerline and hold-short lights).

At CLE, the ALSF-2 for 24R crosses over 10-28. For that part of the ALSF-2 that lies "in" 10-28, the lights are placed in cans, flush with the runway surface.

BoeingOnFinal

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:20 pm

You would have the same approach lighting as you would without the displaced threshold, although the runway lighting itself might have some additional elements to it. It all depends on whether it is a starter extension (blue edge lights) or a stopway (red edge lights). This is if it is required to have lights though, which depends on what type of operation/weather minima the runway is used for.

One major point is that where you are required to have center line lights, and you have a displaced threshold usable for aircraft movement, the approach lighting is sufficient as far as center line goes up to the threshold.

This distribution (UK CAA CAP637) will give a very good overlook of the different lighting systems and their requirements.
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

joness0154

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:36 pm

You can have REILs and in ground threshold lighting.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem