suisjes

Jet Blue Mechanics Pre-screening Test

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:11 pm

Does anybody know what the mechanics assesement test is all about? Does anyone have a heads up? I don't want to get caught with my pants down.

AirframeAS

RE: Jet Blue Mechanics Pre-screening Test

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:36 am

Basically covers everything..EVERYTHING you learned in A&P school, I assume. All airlines are like this, are they not?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

suisjes

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 1):

THEY ARE NOT!

MQTmxguy

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:34 am

I took one for AAeagle. It was basically a test to make sure your not an absolute moron. Don't worry about it, I could have passed it just fine before I went to A&P school.
Well at least we can all take comfort in the fact that NW will never retire their DC-9s

EMBQA

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting Suisjes (Reply 2):
THEY ARE NOT

Aaah, I know Delta required it a few years back.

Quoting MQTmxguy (Reply 3):
Don't worry about it, I could have passed it just fine before I went to A&P school.

jetBlue's is not quite that easy. I know a few of the guys that developed it....but that's all I can offer. Never seen it....
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

suisjes

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:09 am

Thanks guys for all your help, I think I am going to go in there and give all I got so, we will see....
I know two people that have failed so, saylavee...

MQTmxguy

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
jetBlue's is not quite that easy

Alrighty then, maybe it's a little different test too. Mine was called a "Mechanic Aptitude Test"

Quoting Suisjes (Reply 5):
Thanks guys for all your help, I think I am going to go in there and give all I got so, we will see....
I know two people that have failed so

Way to be  Smile It could turn out to be a breeze, but as long as your perparing for the worst you can only be plesantly surprised.
Well at least we can all take comfort in the fact that NW will never retire their DC-9s

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 1):
All airlines are like this, are they not

Out here not all Airlines insist on such a test.But then a person knowing their job should find it very easy.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EMBQA

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting Suisjes (Reply 5):

You wanna live in New York...?? YUCK...!!! It will be an a year or more till you can bid out.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

suisjes

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:56 am

Ya, it is a hell of a sacrifice for year if it is even a year it could be more! I have worked on the airbus for a year and I have three years on the line. but, my friend and I have the test @ the same time and he has got a place to stay there. It is kinda crazy though I had a chance to work for Delta mainline in NYC, about a two months ago. But, there pay was ridiculus. Especially when my friend is up there working for Freedom (Delta Connection) and bringing down around 24 an hour and working 4 on 3 off and 3 on 4 off schedule. Which is kick ass. I should of stayed w/ them , but , it was when they had the crash eights and was'nt to gung ho on the idea to tdy out of MCO.

NKP S2

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Be aware of the wire diagrams, equipment list, wiring practices manual....not to memorize numbers, but how to use it. Fortunately the Airbus WDM's are fairly easy to use and flow logically.

Lots of my ex co-workers are now working there. Jet Blue looovvvveesss US Airways............................

fadecfault

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):

Unless Delta changed their test in the past few years it was more of a logic/mechanical aptitude/psych test. Any mechanic with a decent IQ should be able to pass the test. Someone out of A&P school should be able to pass it. Though I know a lot of smart people who didn't. I was in a group of about 15 in the computer testing facility and only myself and one other passed.

And unless Jetblue has changed their test in the past few years if you don't have any line experience you probably won't pass the test. The test was 100 question, fill in with a last section requiring a paragraph answer.
I do remember quite a few ATA code related questions. The last question asked what would you do if an a/c had an inbound write-up of APU INOP. I don't think "check the FIM" would have been sufficient.. Out of a group of 20 only 10 of us passed and most of those guys had at least 10-20 years experience. I got beat up during the interview portion (yes more questions..) and wasn't offered a position.

[Edited 2007-11-26 20:57:09]

[Edited 2007-11-26 21:04:50]
The views and opinions written here are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

MQTmxguy

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting FADECFAULT (Reply 11):
Unless Delta changed their test in the past few years it was more of a logic/mechanical aptitude/psych test. Any mechanic with a decent IQ should be able to pass the test.

That's pretty much exactly what the one I took for AA was like. Alot of first year A&P school type stuff with a little bit of psyche and problem solving, hard to fail. Basically to weed out the nut jobs and the completely inept. The interview and reference check were the big make or break factors.

AirframeAS

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:23 am

THEY ARE NOT!

First of all, Suisjes, Chill the *bleep* out. No need to yell. Second of all, Yes, they are. WN does the tests (for sure) and covers EVERYTHING like the F.A.A. Writtens and the O's & P's.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):

I did their test in ATL and failed it miserably. This, taking the test, for a Technicial Helper position. I took this way back in 2000.

Dougloid

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
THEY ARE NOT

At one time Delta was giving all potential mechanic employees the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory).

It's commonly used on police cadets to weed out psychopaths and pedophiles.

A true story.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

EMBQA

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Unless Delta changed their test in the past few years it was more of a logic/mechanical aptitude/psych test.

That was the same test I saw in an 'advanced' copy....  Smile

Dalmd88

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Delta quit giving mechanics the MMPI years ago. I was hired in 98 and it was already long gone. I was amazed how many working mechanics fail the current aptitude test we give.

Suisjes; you made a smart move to avoid taking the DL NYC job. If it was for LGA you would have hated it. The manager there is impossible to work for. Transfer out isn't an option either. I also agree the pay is terrible. I wish DL would pay a station differental for high price cities like NY, BOS, DCA, SFO.

AirframeAS

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 16):
I was amazed how many working mechanics fail the current aptitude test we give.

That's the one I failed. But I wasn't A&P at the time. I was applying for the Tech. Helper position.

fadecfault

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 pm

I would have taken position with Delta at JFK over a position at B6 in JFK. Quite a few miserable guys at B6 because they couldn't get a transfer out to florida. Though I don't know if the no transfer policy is still in effect. I know the RTP plan put a stop to most transfers. Though a transfer with DAL out to flordia is impossible..

DAL LGA and DAL JFK are worlds apart as far as mx is concerned,.. would explain why so many people from LGA transfered into JFK. When I was in JFK it was a much more relaxed atmosphere.

I've been gone for almost 2 years from dal but have there been any pay increases? I thought outstations did get some sort of pay differential?
I wish my current employer would have instituted some sort of testing, quite a few odd balls here..

[Edited 2007-11-28 15:36:26]
The views and opinions written here are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

boeing767mech

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting FADECFAULT (Reply 18):
I wish my current employer would have instituted some sort of testing, quite a few odd balls here..

I wish my employer had a harder test, before the mass lay-off we where getting some real chocks. Amazing when you have someone tell you that they can't do something, and find out they are to lazy or stupid to look it up or every try to fix it because at there other job before this one they had a department to do that. Since when is a boost pump a avionics function?? Oh yeah it's got wires. A&P should be all purpose mechanic. I think it you can't at least try to something like avionics and sheetmetal work you shouldn't work at a line station.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

Dougloid

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:47 am

elta quit giving mechanics the MMPI years ago. I was hired in 98 and it was already long gone. I was amazed how many working mechanics fail the current aptitude test we give.

Well, you gotta wonder what genius thought that potential mechanics ought to be given a test that's used for screening out sociopathic personalities and pedophiles. That's a systems problem right there.

One of the best mechanics I ever knew-and parenthetically one of the most honest, upright people I ever met-failed the MMPI and didn't get hired by Delta back in the eighties.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

suisjes

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):

Yes, including my father.

suisjes

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting NKP S2 (Reply 10):

Pretty much right it starts out pretty easy the last question was pilot squaks a nose steering problem though, line maintenance is this test and stuff like what color is the left nav light as well as some others about RVSM ILS oh, and which side of the canon plug is the J side, describing what LRU the ram air hits on the Airconditioning and other stuff which was hit or miss. I passed barely but, after checking out NYC alittle, and with no chance of living out of the city in one of those mansions you see when you fly in just over the water there, I don't think I'll be going to NEW YORK! I don't think the rest of it is like Queens. But, I just don't see anyone, like a mechanic really pullin down the dough unless there in at a crash pad in ozone park living with 8 others. Besides, the place was really drab and depressing. And ofcourse, I am from FLA. and I think it would be somthin like two years to transfer maybe sooner. But, he did say it would be practically impossible to get in to TPA, due to the US Airways lay off there. Shiiii you got like where you live! Oh, the passing grade is 75 percent.

DL_Mech

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 14):
At one time Delta was giving all potential mechanic employees the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory).

It's commonly used on police cadets to weed out psychopaths and pedophiles.

My favorite question from the test:

They're all out to get me. [ ] True [ ] False
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

suisjes

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting Dl_mech (Reply 23):

Hey, are you layed off or is this a joke, because I am contracting??????

777wt

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:36 pm

Suisjes; you made a smart move to avoid taking the DL NYC job. If it was for LGA you would have hated it. The manager there is impossible to work for. Transfer out isn't an option either. I also agree the pay is terrible. I wish DL would pay a station differental for high price cities like NY, BOS, DCA, SFO.

LGA is a overnight type job because all the planes staying RON gets worked on...so the majority of the mechanics work night shift.
I have a couple of co-workers who quit my job and went to DL in LGA and JFK becaue hiring was open and they pay a lil better...just about 2 bux more per hour.

In fact the assist manager at my airline (not DL) base is now the manager of DL LGA mtx nightshift...he doesn't like the DL dayshift manager because he keeps telling him to write up some of the people for stupid stuff that's not worth the trouble.

Also DL A&P's shfits was on 5 days a week rotating days off...8 hour shifts...
When the night shift manager started working at DL, a few months later he changed the work schedule to 4 days a week 10 hour shifts with 3 days off and everyone there likes that better.

one of the co-worker doesn't like it there mainly due to most of the guys there don't know what they're doing...

As for DL JFK...the other co-worker seems to like it there and it's mostly afteroon shift due to most of the international flights departing.

charlienorth

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting Boeing767mech (Reply 19):
Since when is a boost pump a avionics function?? Oh yeah it's got wires. A&P should be all purpose mechanic

The mechanic that calls avionics for a taxi-light is a real embarassment...and yes they do earn the title of "Gimp"
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

flyfisher1976

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Quoting Suisjes (Thread starter):
Does anybody know what the mechanics assesement test is all about? Does anyone have a heads up? I don't want to get caught with my pants down.

I took the test recently. It would be fairly challenging for anyone with out any line experience. Many of the questions were one or two sentence essay.
I got the overall impression that the test was more or less designed to weed out any real losers that slipped through the initial phone-interview phase. My opinion is that the test is only a small part of a three phase screening process. I don't think it bears as much weight as a strong resume, experience and overall presentation over the phone and in person.
Jet Blue has a great training facilities which are probably capable of bringing any candidate with some experience up to speed. I don't think that they would waste your time by having you come in and take the test, unless they thought you would be a good candidate for the position.
However, I could be wrong...
I'll let you know how it turns out.

HAWK21M

Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Old thread,but interesting one.

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 27):
I took the test recently. It would be fairly challenging for anyone with out any line experience. Many of the questions were one or two sentence essay.

Its a filtering test...Aimed at getting the good AME/AMT/Mechanics through  Smile
regds
MEL

UAL777Mech

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:50 am

Tests are fun... bwahahahahah!  Wink

EMBQA

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 26):
The mechanic that calls avionics for a taxi-light is a real embarassment.

Yea, the regional I worked for mechanics did it all. We only called in Avi if we got really stumped.

boeing767mech

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:54 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 30):
The mechanic that calls avionics for a taxi-light is a real embarassment.

Yea, the regional I worked for mechanics did it all. We only called in Avi if we got really stumped.

The carrier I work for, here at this line station we don't have any avionics dept. The techs do all the work. Only have problems when they are doing autopilot work and they aren't LMP quald' (we need to be trained to work and sign for autoflight LRU's here).

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

flyfisher1976

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 27):
I'll let you know how it turns out.

I passed the test and am excited for my upcoming interview!

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 28):
Its a filtering test...Aimed at getting the good AME/AMT/Mechanics through

checkmark 

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:28 am

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 32):
I passed the test and am excited for my upcoming interview!

Congrats.
regds
MEL

wn700driver

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:54 pm

I know this is an old thread, apologies in advance.

Today was my last at 'Airways Big grin And while I have a gig lined up at a certain Arlington based giant, a few other people I worked with are looking elsewhere in the field. Anyway, long story short, a buddy of mine just got called back from DL, mainline. It's for a line position at LAX (Hope he's ready for a culture change from sleepy little ROA...) He wanted to know what the entrance test for DL A&P's is like. The information so far is that he's been called by them based on an online application and they want to schedule him for a test.

Anyway, I figure most of you guys are pretty knowledgeable, and that someone here would know what to expect. Thanks in advance.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

fadecfault

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:57 pm

I don't know if it has changed but the test I took in 2001 was a three part exam. There was a general mechanical aptitude section, a section with shapes and a section with simplified troubleshooting. There is a practice book they tell you to get but the test is far more difficult. I know quite a few smart people who failed. There were no aviation related questions.

Dalmd88

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Quoting WN700Driver (Reply 34):
He wanted to know what the entrance test for DL A&P's is like. The information so far is that he's been called by them based on an online application and they want to schedule him for a test.

There used to be a logic portion on the test that I believe was the biggest weed out point. It wasn't normal and or gate stuff. There were like four rows of boxes with a number sequense only one row was correct. I took the test back in 97 so the memory is fading.

Most that pass the test have been hired. I've only heard of a few that didn't get hired after the talking interview. Most that had questionable driving records were dinged out. One guy I worked with was trying to get an old Air Guard subordinate hired. No luck and no idea why not. Even our manager couldn't help. The guy I worked with was real stand up. He never would have done a think to help a less than desireable. So you never know.

Right now DL has a few line openings. Last I saw were SEA and LAS. I know BOS has openings also. I think they already have the canidates picked and are going to start interviews though. There are a couple of Lead slots in ATL, but those will go internal.

LMP737

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Quoting Dl_mech (Reply 23):
My favorite question from the test:

They're all out to get me. [ ] True [ ] False

Ask most A&P mechanics after ten or so years in the airline business this question and they will probably mark TRUE.  Wink
Never take financial advice from co-workers.