MissedApproach
Topic Author

Air Transat 961 A310 Investigation Completed

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:54 am

The TS A310 rudder loss accident investigation has been published & is available at http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/reports/air/2005/a05f0047/a05f0047.asp

The investigation found that the existing rudder inpection program was not capable of detecting all rudder defects. The initial cause of the delamination damage to Flight 961's rudder was not determined.

Can you hear me now?

777wt

RE: Air Transat 961 A310 Investigation Completed

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:49 pm

What I don't understand is why did the pilots opt to return to Cuba instead of diverting to FLL ?

A loud bang...dutch roll and rudder ineffective and opt to return to Cuba?...something's fishy

I suspect Air Canada didn't want to deal with a diverson in FLL and rather send them to Cuba?

Jetlagged

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting 777WT (Reply 1):
What I don't understand is why did the pilots opt to return to Cuba instead of diverting to FLL ?

A loud bang...dutch roll and rudder ineffective and opt to return to Cuba?...something's fishy

I suspect Air Canada didn't want to deal with a diverson in FLL and rather send them to Cuba?

As the flight originated in Cuba it's likely many people on the flight might have had difficulties entering the USA, even in transit, US Immigration being how it is. So a return to Cuba makes sense if it's safe to do so. If they'd known the rudder was completely missing they may have chosen differently.

It was an Air Transat flight, not Air Canada.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

Viscount724

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:35 am

Quoting Jetlagged (Reply 2):
As the flight originated in Cuba it's likely many people on the flight might have had difficulties entering the USA, even in transit, US Immigration being how it is. So a return to Cuba makes sense if it's safe to do so. If they'd known the rudder was completely missing they may have chosen differently.

In an emergency I doubt issues of nationality would be a consideration in deciding where to divert. You may recall the NW DC-10 that diverted to THR en route from BOM to AMS in 2005 with a cargo compartment fire warning (a false alarm). It was the first US airliner to land in Iran since they broke off diplomatic relations in 1979.

Following is a paragraph from the report referring to the decision where to divert.

Shortly after the rudder loss, the crew took steps to descend and divert to a nearby airport. As the flight progressed, the Dutch roll decreased and then ceased as they descended. By the time the crew was in a position to complete an approach to either Miami or Fort Lauderdale, there were indications that the aircraft would continue to fly normally. The determination of where to land was influenced by the following: there were no symptoms remaining related to the noise, vibration, or Dutch roll; there were no ECAM messages, warning lights or cockpit indications related to the control problems; the flight could continue at low altitude; and the company was better equipped to deal with the passengers and aircraft at Varadero.

Jetlagged

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:36 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
In an emergency I doubt issues of nationality would be a consideration in deciding where to divert.

True, but no emergency was declared, was it? I'll bet the Cuba factor was in the back of peoples minds. It's not just Cuban nationals to be considered but the US hardline attitude to people who travel to Cuba, even on vacation. The TSA would have had a field day.

Had the crew known the rudder was completely missing perhaps they would have decided Fort Lauderdale was the only option.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

bond007

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:58 pm

and the company was better equipped to deal with the passengers and aircraft at Varadero.

That's about the only deciding factor .. all other things equal (which IMO they weren't).

was influenced by the following: there were no symptoms remaining related to the noise, vibration, or Dutch roll; there were no ECAM messages, warning lights or cockpit indications related to the control problems;

What I fail to understand is that it still happened ... and then it's OK, so there's no problem?

Of course, I'm not the crew in question .. but a loud bang, followed by control problems, means something serious has probably happened .. regardless of the fact there weren't warning lights etc....just my opinion.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 5):
Of course, I'm not the crew in question .. but a loud bang, followed by control problems, means something serious has probably happened .. regardless of the fact there weren't warning lights etc....just my opinion.

true.
Wouldn't get to the nearest base be the clever desicion.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)