1PHXramper
Topic Author

Ford Truck VS C123

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:54 pm

I was wondering how many people have seen the Ford commercial that has a Ford truck stopping a Fairchild C123 Provider. In the bottom right corner of the screen it says actual braking demo.The commercial show the truck trying to stop the plane twice before the plane is stopped. The pilot of the plane either has the plane in idle or is depressing the brake to give the illusion that the truck is stoppin the plane. If someone can find a link to the video it would help show what i'm talking about
I think Ford is smoking something when they say that a truck can stop a plane

I think this is the right spot to post this

XT6Wagon

RE: Ford Truck VS C123

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting 1PHXramper (Thread starter):
The commercial show the truck trying to stop the plane twice before the plane is stopped

Are you talking about the ABS going off?

Or it getting the chain properly tensioned?

The pilot of the plane either has the plane in idle

Of course they have the engines not producing thrust.... they are trying to land the plane.

tdscanuck

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:59 am

I think Ford is smoking something when they say that a truck can stop a plane

A C123 has 5,000-6,000 lbs of thrust when it's going full bore. A big pickup could easily produce that much towing force.

Tom.

XT6Wagon

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:17 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 2):
A C123 has 5,000-6,000 lbs of thrust when it's going full bore. A big pickup could easily produce that much towing force.

Its even easier than that. They are trying to stop it from a low speed landing run on a long runway. So Basicly all they have to do is dump the momentum of the plane. I'd assume they put a couple thousand pounds of ballast in the truck to get the rear brakes working and the rear tires with traction. Then its just about taking a mile or so to stop a unloaded plane.

airfoilsguy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:43 pm

It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

hangarrat

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:15 pm

From the footage in that mini-doc about making the commercial, it looks as if it was a pretty short stopping distance. I can't imagine that the roll out for an unloaded c-123 is all that long. Wasn't it designed for unprepared fields?

The other aspect of this stunt is that they didn't have to use the truck again. The brakes were probably trashed after this.
Spell check is a false dog

XT6Wagon

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 5):
The other aspect of this stunt is that they didn't have to use the truck again. The brakes were probably trashed after this.

Nah, modern braking systems don't get trashed from single use.

2H4

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:31 pm

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 5):
I can't imagine that the roll out for an unloaded c-123 is all that long. Wasn't it designed for unprepared fields?

Typical speed in the C-123 at touchdown is about 90 knots. Allow some time for the truck to roll out and take up the slack of the chain, and it might be down to around 80 knots. That's about 92 mph.

I'd be a lot more impressed to watch the truck haul it's heaviest rated load down a long mountain road out in the Rockies. I suspect 30 or 40 miles of steep descents and switchbacks would be much more of a workout for the brakes than bringing a 30,000 pound plane to a stop in hundreds of feet on a runway that may or may not be level.  Wink

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

XT6Wagon

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 7):
I'd be a lot more impressed to watch the truck haul it's heaviest rated load down a long mountain road out in the Rockies

Its no big deal with the F150, I've taken mine across the Rockies with a trailer, combined load 1000lbs over the max listed weight... not once, but twice. From NM to OR so you cross the LOOONG way. Only problem is making sure you are going slow enough when you crest since my trailer brakes were weak enough to make using the brakes in corners somewhat stupid and unsafe. In a straight line the truck was fine pulling off speed even loaded that heavy, mile after mile, trip after trip. If I had a better trailer, wouldn't even need to limit cresting speeds other than just smarter to do so.

helps that the rear brakes are HUGE and the ABS system is used to keep the brake balance correct for loaded vs unloaded.... So the total braking capacity is vastly superior to older trucks just in the raw ability to store heat. Then add in modern venting designs for the rotors, and its virtually idiot proof.