A10WARTHOG
Topic Author

Seat And IFE MX

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:42 pm

A question for any MX personal that are maintaining some of the newer seats/suites that are now showing up on majority of long haul aircraft. How easy are these seats to maintain? When I have to dig into them parts can be a pain to change and parts are always breaking. How are they holding up in service?

How about the IFE system? When I am working on them the systems seem unstable alot of times and we are always changing smart monitors, SEB and SPM. Parts can be fun to get to also.

MD11Engineer

RE: Seat And IFE MX

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Are you sure you don't want to ask this in the "The Worst Job In Maintenance" Thread?
I hate crawling around between the seats, among all the dirt and puke.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

A10WARTHOG
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:19 pm

That is a good one. I really hate crawling on the floor in between seats that are right up againt the lav. You can not help but smell like lav.

[Edited 2007-11-30 09:19:49]

CanadianNorth

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:52 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 1):
between the seats, among all the dirt and puke.

How often do your seats get detailed by the cabin service or equivalent people?

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

fadecfault

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:44 am

I have not worked any of the newer systems, but here are my experiences:

Delta: worked the Rockwell collins system on the 767. It's common for the interactive portion to go inop. However there is manual back up where the video tapes are inserted and the system does operate with some limitation. Seat display units (vdu's du's etc) were reliable as were the seb's.
Did have some exposure to the panasonic ife (ex song). Linux based but just as unreliable as the collins NT based system. Though not as bad as a linux cold boot was 2x quicker than NT. VDU's and SEB's seemed to have good reliability (not too sure as it was a panasonic mx function) .

Rockwell Collins: Worked primarily AA 777's. Basically the same as delta's 767 ife. Not many issues, nothing a cold reboot couldn't help.

Jetblue: aweful, numerous failures. VDU's flipping out, SEB's frying, antennas going bad. Aweful DOS...that's right DOS based system. That combined with a nasty interior..yuck. Aweful quality.
The views and opinions written here are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.