ilikeyyc

Looking For "The Link"

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm looking for a copy of a book called, "The Link" from West Air International. It is a color binder with pictures and part numbers of pins and sockets used in cannon plugs and other electrical connectors on aircraft. A google search revealed no hits and I tried calling the 1800 number on the book this morning, but the number seems to not be in use.

The story behind this request is that last night while trouble shooting a problem, we had to de-pin a sensor from a cannon plug. In order to install a new sensor, new pins had to be crimped on the new sensor. We had to use the resources of another shop on the field to get the part number of the pins and they showed us this book. It is a very nice resource which I would like to have a copy of around the shop so we don't run into this problem again.

Does anyone know where I can find a copy or something similar?

I'll keep searching, but I know that many of you in the tech-ops community are knowledgable about this stuff. Thanks for your help.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

avioniker

RE: Looking For "The Link"

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:03 pm

I used to use that book but the problem was that there are too many connectors in use for that book to have ever been kept current. With all the different alloys in use today there's no simple lookup any more. If you put a constantine pin up against a platinum socket it won't last a year before you have a corrosion problem. At my last company none of the departments collaborated and the result was that you'd have the same P/N connector at different locations in a system and each location would call out different P/N pins and sockets. Drove me nuts keeping it straight.

I don't mean to belabor the obvious but the only legal reference is the manufacturer's manual for the connector you're pinning after you've looked up the correct connector in the OEM parts list for the aircraft installation. Heaven forbid you miss a suffix and get the wrong pin. . .
 Smile
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

HAWK21M

RE: Looking For "The Link"

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:56 am

Was it this one by Richard Matheson.
regds
MEL

[Edited 2007-12-10 00:57:23]
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)