Faro
Topic Author

Three Attempted Takeoffs?

Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Came across this passage in another thread:

"29 August 1998; Cubana Tupolev 154M; Quito, Equador: After two other attempted takeoffs, the aircraft crashed during its third takeoff attempt for a flight to Guayaquil. The aircraft came down in a neighborhood near the airport. All 14 crew members and 57 of the 76 passengers were killed. Ten persons on the ground were also killed."

I can understand attempted landings that result in go-arouunds; what on earth is an attempted takeoff? You either takeoff or you abort and head back to the stand; I don't understand.

Faro
The chalice not my son

CosmicCruiser

RE: Three Attempted Takeoffs?

Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting Faro (Thread starter):
what on earth is an attempted takeoff? You either takeoff or you abort and head back to the stand; I don't understand.

Don't get too excited about wording from a press release. OK, he tried twice to T/O but rejected both times.

HAWK21M

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:31 pm

was each rejection followed by Mx action.what was the reason for the Earlier Two Rejects.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bhmbaglock

Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Faro (Thread starter):
"29 August 1998; Cubana Tupolev 154M; Quito, Equador

When I saw the thread title, I was pretty sure this would be the crash involved.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
was each rejection followed by Mx action.what was the reason for the Earlier Two Rejects.

A friend of mine in Quito who is very well connected and also qualified to have an opinion(comm. pilot, ex-USAF KC-135 navigator) told me that the problem was that the pilot did not have any flaps out. Absolutely shocking, but would certainly explain it and I have no reason to doubt him. Cubana is not a model of safety or good practices in any way.
Where are all of my respected members going?

HAWK21M

Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 3):
the problem was that the pilot did not have any flaps out

Was this on all three attempts.
Wasn't there Mx Action performed.
and what about Warnings.
regds
MEL

bhmbaglock

Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):
Was this on all three attempts.

As I understand it, yes. Although, thinking a little more about this, it may not have been zero flaps but instead an improper flap setting for the altitude at Quito.

Wasn't there Mx Action performed.

I was told, no.

and what about Warnings.

Don't know, but I believe this a/c normally carries a flight crew of 4 indicating little to no automation to me.
Where are all of my respected members going?

HAWK21M

Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 5):
Don't know, but I believe this a/c normally carries a flight crew of 4 indicating little to no automation to me.

I meant the T/O Warning.....Flaps not in T/O Range.

regds
MEL

OV735

Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 3):
A friend of mine in Quito who is very well connected and also qualified to have an opinion(comm. pilot, ex-USAF KC-135 navigator) told me that the problem was that the pilot did not have any flaps out. Absolutely shocking, but would certainly explain it and I have no reason to doubt him. Cubana is not a model of safety or good practices in any way.

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 5):

Advancing throttles to takeoff power with flaps set to 0 degrees (or any other necessary parameter not met) will trigger a loud alarm in the Tu-154 cockpit. Continuing takeoff with the alarm sounding is of course strictly forbidden.

Quito is quite high and hot, which is a somewhat uncomfortable situation for the Soloviev engines. According to a short accident description in Dmitriy Komissarov's book about the Tu-154, the accident aircraft had troubles starting the engines in the first place due to the rarified air at that altitude.

Faro
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Quoting OV735 (Reply 7):
Quito is quite high and hot, which is a somewhat uncomfortable situation for the Soloviev engines. According to a short accident description in Dmitriy Komissarov's book about the Tu-154, the accident aircraft had troubles starting the engines in the first place due to the rarified air at that altitude.

So I presume they had multiple engine start attempts, the last of which succeeded. They then took off, or attempted to take off. In that case it was not really a matter of mutliple attempted takeoffs but rather multiple attempted engine starts.

Faro
The chalice not my son

9VSIO

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 6):
I meant the T/O Warning.....Flaps not in T/O Range.

Might have been in t/o range at sea-level...does the automated warning adjust with altitude?
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

HAWK21M

Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 9):
Might have been in t/o range at sea-level...does the automated warning adjust with altitude

No
But the conditions normally are:-
1.Parking Brake set.
2.Thrust levers Advanced.
3.Flaps not in T/O Range.
4.Stablizer not in Green Band.
5.Speed brakes not in down detent.

regds
MEL