BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Why Do Airports Charge To Park?

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:06 am

This thread was inspired by another thread that had nothing to do with this, but it gave me the idea.

My question is, Why do airports charge you to park? I mean, I spend money on a ticket, why can't I park for free? Walmart allows me to park for free, and I don't even have to buy anything there.

And even worse, some airports charge more to park than others (generally, the larger the airport, the more parking is.)

Why do I have to pay $20.00 a day at some airports?
Puhdiddle

CupraIbiza

RE: Why Do Airports Charge To Park?

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:12 am

Simple. Captive market.

If Wal Mart charged you to park, you would go to another retailer.

However if you dont like paying $20.00 per day you cant simply go to another airport!
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Thread starter):
Walmart allows me to park for free, and I don't even have to buy anything there.

Airports are generally monopolies (or, at least, they are far closer to monopolies than Wal-Mart is). That gives them significant pricing flexibility. It's the same reason the bottle of water that is $1 at Wal-Mart is $4 in the terminal.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

BreninTW

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:14 am

Because the airports have a captive "cash cow" in the parking ... it's not like you can pack your car up in your carry-on. It costs money to build/run an airport, and most airports are in the business of making a profit ... if they didn't charge for parking, you'd pay for it in other ways.

Over here (and back home) even hospitals charge for parking!

EK413

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 3):
Over here (and back home) even hospitals charge for parking!

Yes, true.... But I bet the hospital isnt charging $7 for half an hour parking! Based on Sydney Kingsford Smith it would have to be the most expensive...!

up to 1/2 hour
$7

1/2 - 1 hour
$14

1-2 hours
$20

2-3 hours
$24

3-4 hours
$28

4-5 hours
$31

5-24 hours
$41

Each additional day or part thereof $41

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

aa757first

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:59 am

In areas with heavy demand, many places charge for parking. Even Neiman Marcus charges for parking in the more urban locations. Some smaller airports don't charge for parking. They also don't have to build huge parking garages like the major airports.

I'm not sure why anyone would park on-site for a trip, unless it was a really quick one. Off site parking places at EWR and PHL are about $10 a day, they're safe and the shuttles always run as advertised.

whappeh

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:08 am

You can always find a way to get into the employee parking lot. Granted, the only way to do that is work at an airport, but at least its free when you want to travel.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

MAH4546

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:13 am

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 3):
and most airports are in the business of making a profit ...

Depends on the country. In the U.S., public airports are not allowed to operate for-profit.
a.

SHUPirate1

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:13 am

Actually, at LaGuardia, the street across the Grand Central Parkway from the airport (Ditmars Boulevard) has (or at least, in 2004, had) free parking, as long as you don't stay over a Thursday afternoon (street-cleaning rules)...and it's right by several of the hotels, so if your legs give out you can always hop on a bus...I actually found that out the "hard" way, after being unable to find a parking spot in ANY of LaGuardia's lots (on or off-airport...the on-airport long-term lot is next to impossible to get a space in)
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

andz

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:15 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 6):
You can always find a way to get into the employee parking lot. Granted, the only way to do that is work at an airport, but at least its free when you want to travel.

We usually do that, my wife works for SAA at JNB so she drops me and the luggage at the terminal then parks at ops and takes the crew bus back. Saves a fortune!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

jimbobjoe

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:20 am

Walmart allows me to park for free, and I don't even have to buy anything there.

Though you could have chosen any retailer (like Target) Wal Mart is a special case--they specifically *allow* for overnight parking at any of their stores. RVs are particularly welcome. It's part of their business model (because people wake up in the morning and then they buy stuff.)

MEA-707

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Plus, if parking were free, especially at main airports near big cities without (cheap) parking space, like NYC, London, Amsterdam, many other commuters would dump their car there and then take public transport or a taxi downtown, while the airport has to pay for the area, supervision etc. So with a charge, the invisible hand of capitalism allocates the limited parking space to the people who really need it and are prepared to pay for it, while others choose alternatives.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

CupraIbiza

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:20 pm

If you are going to MEL park for free at Patricks air cargo terminal or in the carpark of the AFCAB building across the road. Its only a short stroll from the terminals
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

JayDub

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Can we start charging BR715-A1-30 for every "Captain Obvious" Thread he starts?
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

airfoilsguy

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:28 pm

My question is, Why do airports charge you to park?

Simple, because they can.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

sh0rtybr0wn

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:41 pm

Airport parking is a total scam. Complete waste of money. Just like the food at airports. But what can you do? Nobody wants to pay 10 dollars for a stale little chicken wrap and $3.50 for a Coke, but you don't have a choice.
What is it, 125 $ per week to park at JFK and EWR ? Not many people I know want to give rides to those airports either, too hectic.
It's easier cheaper to take the Limousine bus that picks you up at your front door. Let them do the driving.

At least when I fly out of BDL, the long term parking is only $ 40.00 per week. Thats reasonable.

sbworcs

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:52 pm

At BHX if you are dropping someone off or waiting to pick someone up I think they have a free area near the long stay car park but if you want to drop off or pick up near the terminal it is £1 ($2 US) for 10 minutes - used to be free!!

I always park at the NEC train station and then get the sky train if I am on 1 - 2 day trips from BHX as it is only £6 per 24 hours
The best way forwards is upwards!

dvincent

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 15):
At least when I fly out of BDL, the long term parking is only $ 40.00 per week. Thats reasonable.

You can get it even cheaper... Executive in Suffield charges $35/week. Plus it's right next to the hills at runway 24 and you can catch some landings or takeoffs.
From the Mind of Minolta

CanadianNorth

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 14):
Simple, because they can.

checkmark  Exactly what I was going to say... Because they can.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

KELPkid

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 12):
If you are going to MEL park for free at Patricks air cargo terminal or in the carpark of the AFCAB building across the road. Its only a short stroll from the terminals

Heh. When I lived back home (at ELP), since I was a private pilot, I could get away with parking at ELP for free. I just had to park my car at the FBO, and the FBO staff all knew my car...they just didn't know if I was flying commercial or flying myself  Wink

Not that ELP had the worst parking fees in the country: I think a week in long-term ran $20...wish PDX had parking rates like that  Sad
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:59 pm

Funny thing about this, in Atlanta, the original car rental airport fee was assested to help build GA-400. Georgia 400 is completed and has A TOLL SYSTEM. Yet the government can't tell us why we are still being charged the fee.
What gets measured gets done.

Analog

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:03 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 5):
Off site parking places at EWR and PHL are about $10 a day,

At IAH it can be had for $4+tax per day.

My question is, Why do airports charge you to park? I mean, I spend money on a ticket, why can't I park for free? Walmart allows me to park for free, and I don't even have to buy anything there.

In theory... Garages & parking lots cost money to build & maintain. It's fairer to charge for parking than to ask every airport user (including those taking taxis, buses, etc.) to pay for the garages.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:06 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 22):
In theory... Garages & parking lots cost money to build & maintain. It's fairer to charge for parking than to ask every airport user (including those taking taxis, buses, etc.) to pay for the garages.

Good point!

One thing though, airports generally make money right? (HA!) So why, for the most part, are they so raggedy and always seem to have to pass of costs to its tenants and thus to us as travelers. What are they doing with their money?
What gets measured gets done.

KELPkid

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:08 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 22):

In practice, it's a good money-maker for the airport...  shhh  Of course, the accountant(s) will find some way to bury that money, since government entities can't be making a profit.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

bravogolf

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:17 am

Airports are VERY expensive to build and operate. In the US the FAA pays for most runway construction, but not parking lots. ARFF, a big ticket item, is usually paid by the airport. OH YEA I just sent the runway deicing truck down the runway, only cost $10,000 for the deicing fluid.

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:44 am

When one charges,the Congestion of traffic there reduces.also its some revenue for the airports authoriyu.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

jhooper

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:26 am

You don't have to pay the parking fee--just don't drive to the airport and park your car! If the value of being able to conveniently park at the airport outweighs the alternative, then pay the parking fee! The customer always has the power to choose!

I mean, I spend money on a ticket, why can't I park for free?

You bought a ticket from an airline--not the airport. It's an irrelavent argument anyway. That would be like saying, "Why can't I eat for free at the airport's restaurant since I bought a ticket" or "why can't I get a free cab ride to the airport since I bought a ticket".

A few feeder airports offer free parking as a way to stimulate business, but you're not going to find that at your indispensable international airports. It all comes down to the fact that people are willing to pay it, so the airports charge for it. Even still it's difficult to find parking at many places--perhaps they should raise the price of parking. Economics 101.

BTW, the ripoff Disney World tickets don't keep people from paying to park there.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

CAP2008

Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Check out unitedairportparking.com. This site saved me a bundle for parking at Port Everglades. Hope it helps
The mother of the last KC-135 pilot has yet to be born.

egnr

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:52 pm

I had to pay £1.80 last night at MAN to pick up my parents! The 'pick up' areas are short stay car parks, and the fee is £1.80 for up to 30 mins. Knowing how slow the baggage processing is at MAN, I left home 10 mins after the flight landed, travelled the 33 miles to the airport and still had to wait 10 mins for my parents to come through to arrivals.

p.s., for a while you only had to pay to pickup at terminal 1, whereas T2 and T3 were free. Now T1 and T2 charge for pickup... but T3 doesn't!?!?!?!
7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:15 pm

Quoting EGNR (Reply 28):
p.s., for a while you only had to pay to pickup at terminal 1, whereas T2 and T3 were free. Now T1 and T2 charge for pickup... but T3 doesn't

any Reason?.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Analog

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting EGNR (Reply 28):
I had to pay £1.80 last night at MAN to pick up my parents! The 'pick up' areas are short stay car parks, and the fee is £1.80 for up to 30 mins.

You had to pay to wait in your car? That sucks.

BWI has (had?) the right idea. The first hour in the short term lot is free. That way I'm less likely to drive in circles or sit on the side of the road to wait for people.

Quoting CAP2008 (Reply 27):
Check out unitedairportparking.com. This site saved me a bundle for parking at Port Everglades. Hope it helps

All of the airports I tried on their pull-down list give me this:

Coming Soon!
We're sorry to disappoint you. We will have parking available at this airport soon.
Please check back at this site the next time you need parking at this airport.

egnr

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 30):
You had to pay to wait in your car? That sucks.

You can't wait in your car. You go through an automatic gate that gives you a ticket. To pay the fee, you have to take the ticket to a 'pay station' - either in the terminal, or hold up traffic at the exit by getting out of your car there to use the pay station next to the exit gates.

Also, you should not use a pay station until you have your passengers ready to go. If you arrive, then immediately use the pay station to pay the £1.80 for 'up to 30 mins' waiting time, and you then try to exit the car park 31 mins after the issue time of the ticket, the gate will not open.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 29):
Quoting EGNR (Reply 28):
p.s., for a while you only had to pay to pickup at terminal 1, whereas T2 and T3 were free. Now T1 and T2 charge for pickup... but T3 doesn't

any Reason?.
regds
MEL

I have no idea at all. The initial difference where only T1 was pay for pick-up was because that terminal's transport connections area was overhauled, and MAN Airport turned the usual pick up area into a car park - T2 still had conventional pick-up zones. Some may attribute the current situation to the increased security at UK airports following the Glasgow Airport attack. The terminals at MAN now have large collections of concrete blocks outside them to prevent anybody from driving a car full of propane gas tanks into them. But, T3 is the one where you get closest to the terminal fronts anyway (in fact you're between glass-fronted buildings on both sides of the raod there), and can still pick up there (although it is a very small area and no waiting is permitted - you have to keep driving around until your passengrs are waiting ready for you).

However, I don't believe you have to pay to collect passengers from the railway station either, and that is connected via skywalks to the terminals.
7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

CAP2008

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:39 am

All of the airports I tried on their pull-down list give me this:

Coming Soon!
We're sorry to disappoint you. We will have parking available at this airport soon.
Please check back at this site the next time you need parking at this airport.

I guess I should have tried a few airports before I posted it; though it did give me an option for ATL, as well as the ports of Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and New Orleans. Sorry to get your hopes up  Smile
The mother of the last KC-135 pilot has yet to be born.

jwenting

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:56 am

And remember that airports have to pay for the parking lots and garages as well.
Rent on the ground (depending on who actually owns it), property taxes, maintenance, parking attendants, security guards, etc. etc.

This being high value ground with strict security rules, the cost to operate that parking garage is probably quite a bit higher than the cost for a similar capacity lot at your local stripmall which is positioned to be at the cheapest bit of ground they can find.
I wish I were flying

dw747400

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

BWI has (had?) the right idea. The first hour in the short term lot is free. That way I'm less likely to drive in circles or sit on the side of the road to wait for people.

The hour-free concept was replaced with the "cell-phone lot" about a year ago.

Parking charges are the single biggest source of revenue for most airports. Landing fees, tenant leases, PFCs, and commissions are eaten up quickly by the cost of operations. The costs are astronomical. Sticking with BWI, you are running a facility that supports 8,000+ employees and 50,000+ clients a day is no small task, but when you add on the needs to maintain acres of land and concrete, provide security, operate a large fire department, support the infrastructure needs of more than 700 daily aircraft movements, all in accordance with strict FAA regs. Between general repair, security, operations, and snow removal, you have a fleet of hundreds of vehicles that need to be fueled and maintained. Unlike a store, most people walking through your terminal are rolling heavy bags behind them, tearing up the floor and slamming into the walls.

Then, you need to stay up to date with changes in passenger demand and preference, the needs of the airlines, and the latest regulatory changes. A significant airport upgrade, like the one BWI just went through, cost billions.

And parking is competitive. BWI competes against several private lots just off the field, as well as airport shuttles, etc. Maintaining market share for parking is actually a major issue for some airports.

In short, airports don't charge for parking because they can--they charge because they need to.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot