jmbweeboy

What's Up With The "SSSS" Code On AA Bpasses?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:15 pm

I have a close friend who recently traveled two legs on American, SDF to ORD and then LGA to SDF. Both times a "SSSS code was denoted at the bottom of his boarding passes by AA.

On both trips when he got to TSA, they gave him quite the going over. He was told by TSA that AA identifies "problem" passengers with this code.. In both cases, there was surely no unpleasant experience at the counter. The man travels with his wife, is always well dressed, and in fact is the president of a major university in the Southeastern USA.

My first thought maybe he was being singled out as if he just bought one way tickets. But surely the AA people could have seen he had an onward leg from MDW to LGA with ATA and then with them American again from LGA to SDF in Sabre. Oddly enough ATA gave him no such hassle or code for TSA.

Cany anyone shed any light on what AA's motivations might be here ? My friend is royally ticked at them and I doubt he can get a straight story from enquiring at AA.

Thanks!

JMBWEEBOY

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:20 pm

It's not AAs doing.

Your 'friend's' beefis with the TSA.

Tell him to take it up with them.

Many factors weigh in to the SSSS thing on the Boarding Pass.

When did he buy the ticket? How did he pay for the ticket? One way or Round Trip? How far in advance of the flight?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Stitch

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:21 pm

AA does not make the decision. The TSA does. They flag the passenger in the system so the "SSSS" code prints on the BP.

As to what criteria determine an "SSSS" tag, I do not know. I often fly one-way First Class (though I don't use cash) and I have yet to be flagged.

MSYtristar

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:22 pm

The SSSS means that you will get a secondary search at security. Generally, if you do things like buy one way tickets, make walk up reservations, or pay with a large sum of cash, the computer system will flag that reservation for secondary screening. Of course they don't give the exact specifics to the airlines, since it is not the airlines decision, but after working in the industry for a while, you sort of pick up on it.

[Edited 2008-01-03 11:23:04]

LHR777

What's Up With The "ssss" Code On AA Bpasses?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:24 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
It's not AAs doing.

Your 'friend's' beefis with the TSA.

Well, it is AA's 'doing', because it's coming from AA's check-in system, Sabre, based upon TSA requirements. However, the argument is still with the TSA, as they're the people ultimately generating the 'SSSS' comment.

The ATA sector was not necessarily visible in the AA PNR, so AA would consider the booking as two one-way sectors, thus invoking the 'SSSS' comment and consequent search by TSA agents.

[Edited 2008-01-03 11:26:13]

MSYtristar

RE: WHAT'S UP With The "ssss" Code On AA Bpasses?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 4):
Well, it is AA's 'doing', because it's coming from AA's check-in system, Sabre, based upon TSA requirements

Not really. AA itself doesn't put the stipulations into the system, and they have no control on when or if the SSSS will appear.

LHR777

RE: What's Up With The "ssss" Code On AA Bpasses?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 5):
Not really. AA itself doesn't put the stipulations into the system, and they have no control on when or if the SSSS will appear.

Please see my amended comment above, posted before you posted.

lincoln

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:38 pm

Not that I think it was the case here, but I was once told that that the agents can override the "SSSS" (either force it on or force it off) -- that may have been utter BS, but it makes sense to me that the agent would at the very least be able to flag someone when something "JDLR"

The one and only time I got SSSSed was when CO rebooked me on NW for a flight leaving in less than 20 minutes. It didn't matter though, since I was allready in the sterile area.

(Actually there was one time in GRR where something was up with boarding pass printer's print head and the bottom 1/4 or so of the boarding pass didn't have any printing on it (the rest was really faint) -- I have no reason to beleive that I would have been SSSSed, but the TSA ID checker spent a good 45 seconds to a minute trying to figure out what to do before initialing my BP and waiving me through...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

MSYtristar

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 7):
but I was once told that that the agents can override the "SSSS" (either force it on or force it off) -- that may have been utter BS, but it makes sense to me that the agent would at the very least be able to flag someone when something "JDLR"

At one airline I used to work for the agents could put an SSSS stamp on the boarding pass, but only for situations where the passenger had an invalid I.D, for example. Agents are not supposed to profile people and they couldn't put that stamp on there just because of the way someone looked or acted...but that being said, I have seen it done at every carrier I've worked with.

pitops

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:53 pm

SSSS appears on WN boarding passes if the person pays with cash or its a one way ticket paid with cash. We can make them selectees by hand as well by marking no ID on our SASS screen.
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

xtoler

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:09 pm

That's happened a few times with me commuting to work from DEN to STL on Amercian Connection (Trans States, my own airline). The AA guys usually fixed that for me. But when I was still based in RIC I would be practice for some of the new TSA folks to do the more thorough checks on. Not a big deal, as I always got to work early. Also, I allowed it, and wanted other pax to see us flight crew are human too, and have to put up with the same crap. But even as a revenue pax, and you have to endure the indignaty of being singled out by SSSS on the boarding card, all I can say is, show up early, and don't be rushed. It sucks having to go through it, but TSA has to do their job too, and 9.99 times out of ten, the SSSS are not personal, they just come up. Sorry, you "won the lottery" on that one, but it happens and it doesn't matter who you are or who you know, everyone is subject to getting an extra search.

Could be worse, ever see the movie "Midnight Express"? I just wonder if Billy Hayes get's SSSS everytime he flies now? For those who don't know, he is a real guy and the movie was loosely based on his story.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

JRadier

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Not that I think it was the case here, but I was once told that that the agents can override the "SSSS"

I heard the same in LAS, after having the full treatment in IAH (twice), PHX and LAS. The joys of non-rev
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

magyar

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:36 pm

Let see, what will be the last thing those who really want to do some damage do?
I guess buying a one way ticket by cash! Why? Because just about everybody knows that
it will redflag you! What is the point of this BS?!? Either don't reveal the triggers for redflagging
or leave us alone with this token security!

xtoler

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Paying in cash is so fun. Wish I could I could pay for everything in cold hard cash, to heck with credit. But, yeah, the problem with cash is too suspicious. I hate using credit, but now it's pretty much that, or you are right, you get more scrutinized by the authorities that be. Then again if I had that kind of cash flow, I'd probably be flying in private. Then again, if that's not an option, let TSA search me like a "commoner", at least I'll make it through security and my ticket's paid for. I may not like it, but what choice do I have?
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

bond007

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Quoting JMBWEEBOY (Thread starter):
The man travels with his wife, is always well dressed, and in fact is the president of a major university in the Southeastern USA.

Irrelevant, right?

My friend is royally ticked at them

they gave him quite the going over

What exactly did they do? AFAIK they inspect the hand baggage, and give a wanding ... happened to me on a few occasions and took barely longer than a normal check. In fact in a lot of airports, you get moved into the priority line, and can end up being checked long before those non "problem people".

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

KELPkid

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Quoting PITops (Reply 9):
SSSS appears on WN boarding passes if the person pays with cash or its a one way ticket paid with cash. We can make them selectees by hand as well by marking no ID on our SASS screen.

It also happens on WN if you do same day, one way paid by credit card over the 1-800-IFLYSWA number (ask me how I know...)  Sad . Of course, I did that when a legacy shafted my wife and I and left us high and dry ("We can have you out of here in 4-5 days.."  Angry ).
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Buyantukhaa

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 2):
assenger in the system so the

with boarding pass printer's print head

Off-topic: what on earth happened here? Double underlined words with ads???????? Uh oh!!!!! Wow!

Edit: after refreshing this phenomenon disappeared... I either have a serious virus or we're in for new types of advertising. In the above examples the word "system" was double underlined and when pointing at it, it showed an advertisement, the same in the second line with "printer's print".

Seriously confused now...

[Edited 2008-01-03 13:48:28]
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

chrisair

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 15):
It also happens on WN if you do same day, one way paid by credit card over the 1-800-IFLYSWA number

Try sticking a RR number in the reservation. It's happened to me when I've been rerouted and the agents don't add my RR number. The supervisor in SAN said airport issued tickets without a RR number flag all the time.

Buyantukhaa

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:13 pm

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 16):
Double underlined words with ads???????? Uh oh!!!!!

Found it already... Whats With New Keywords Popping Up In Threads (by Alitalia744 Aug 6 2007 in Site Related)

Starlionblue

Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:44 pm

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 18):

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 16):
Double underlined words with ads???????? Uh oh!!!!!

Found it already...
Whats With New Keywords Popping Up In Threads (by Alitalia744 Aug 6 2007 in Site Related)

NEver seen those on A.nut. Long live Firefox + Adblock Plus.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AirframeAS

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:56 am

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 4):
Well, it is AA's 'doing', because it's coming from AA's check-in system, Sabre, based upon TSA requirements. However, the argument is still with the TSA, as they're the people ultimately generating the 'SSSS' comment.

I don't know what you are smoking, but you are clearly incorrect. It's 100% the TSA's doing. AA isn't the only one that has the infamous SSSS on the boarding passes. Every airline has the dreaded SSSS on boarding passes.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ArmitageShanks

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:59 am

I flew with buddy passes this summer on CO and they did the same for me. It was a huge hassle to be searched head to toe every time I went through security but the tickets were free so I didn't care.

Analog

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:57 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 20):
I don't know what you are smoking, but you are clearly incorrect. It's 100% the TSA's doing.

While the TSA is the one responsible for this stupidity, as long as airline agents can force an SSSS code it's not 100% TSA's doing. As long as people with refundable tickets can successfully get SSSS removed by threatening to get a refund and go to another carrier it's not 100% the TSA's doing.

AirframeAS

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:33 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 22):
While the TSA is the one responsible for this stupidity, as long as airline agents can force an SSSS code it's not 100% TSA's doing.

Forcing it manually can be done via a stamp. Forcing it via a computer print, I don't think can be done. There is absolutely no knowing who will be SSSS'ed and who will not. Removing a SSSS is a whole 'nother ball game, I don't think that can be done. No one here has testified that removing the SSSS has been done.

As long as people with refundable tickets can successfully get SSSS removed by threatening to get a refund and go to another carrier it's not 100% the TSA's doing.

You are kidding, arn't you???

KELPkid

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:12 am

Quoting Chrisair (Reply 17):
Try sticking a RR number in the reservation. It's happened to me when I've been rerouted and the agents don't add my RR number. The supervisor in SAN said airport issued tickets without a RR number flag all the time.

But are you privy to that number if you do the re-routing yourself (as you have to on WN, unless you were a TZ passenger...)? I never even knew about this number before...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Analog

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:33 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 23):

As long as people with refundable tickets can successfully get SSSS removed by threatening to get a refund and go to another carrier it's not 100% the TSA's doing.

You are kidding, arn't you???

No. Though I have no firsthand knowledge; I've just heard of it being done. Perhaps it can be removed by creating a whole new reservation? Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:06 am

What kind of blowhard would ask for that? Sheesh. Just shut up and soldier. It's just a few extra minutes.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

XT6Wagon

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:03 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 26):
It's just a few extra minutes.

with the creepy old dude playing with your jewels

Buyantukhaa

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 19):
Long live Firefox Adblock Plus.

Didn't know about AdBlock, thanks. Seems to work.

andz

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:28 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 3):
Generally, if you do things like buy one way tickets, make walk up reservations, or pay with a large sum of cash,

Guys please!! Don't tip the terrorists off on how to avoid being subject to more security!!

sarcastic 
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:24 pm

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 28):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 19):
Long live Firefox Adblock Plus.

Didn't know about AdBlock, thanks. Seems to work.

We aim to please.  Wink

Quoting Andz (Reply 29):
Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 3):
Generally, if you do things like buy one way tickets, make walk up reservations, or pay with a large sum of cash,

Guys please!! Don't tip the terrorists off on how to avoid being subject to more security!!

Oh come on! The "competent" terrorists are well aware of all this stuff.

Analog

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:50 pm

What kind of blowhard would ask for that? Sheesh. Just shut up and soldier. It's just a few extra minutes.

I might. It's a way of protesting against the asinine "security" rules. I am not a soldier; it's not my job to follow [stupid] rules blindly and without protest. Thankfully I haven't had the chance, nor do I typically buy full fare tickets.

Quoting Andz (Reply 29):

rotfl 

AirframeAS

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:45 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 25):
Perhaps it can be removed by creating a whole new reservation?

That wouldn't really work. A whole new reservation would mean a brand new airfare, plus a possible change fee. I think that is illegal. Easy way to lose the airline money....

Analog

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 32):

That wouldn't really work. A whole new reservation would mean a brand new airfare, plus a possible change fee. I think that is illegal. Easy way to lose the airline money....

If you're on a fully refundable ticket, the new fare will likely be the same as the old one, plus there will probably be no change fee. Even if it's not a refundable ticket, how would creating a new ticket lose the airline money? It would consume a few minutes of the agent's time; that's it.

andz

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 30):

sarcasm goes right over your head I see.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 31):

I might. It's a way of protesting against the asinine "security" rules. I am not a soldier; it's not my job to follow [stupid] rules blindly and without protest. Thankfully I haven't had the chance, nor do I typically buy full fare tickets.

Yeah but aren't you just victimizing the poor check-in agent who didn't create the rule? If life were fair, the bureaucrat who created the rule should get a paper cut on the left testicle for every pointless extra security check performed.

Quoting Andz (Reply 34):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 30):

sarcasm goes right over your head I see.

Well, there's no hair up there to catch it. Sorry.  Sad

Analog

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:32 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 35):
Yeah but aren't you just victimizing the poor check-in agent who didn't create the rule?

By that logic protesting almost any rule enforcement is unfair to someone, as very few rules are enforced by the people that write them. I hope that I would be very polite in such a situation; I wouldn't be nasty to the agent. Anyways, the agent can always say no.

If enough people do this the airlines might get the message and complain to the TSA. I should dream on...

Starlionblue

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:24 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 36):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 35):
Yeah but aren't you just victimizing the poor check-in agent who didn't create the rule?

By that logic protesting almost any rule enforcement is unfair to someone, as very few rules are enforced by the people that write them. I hope that I would be very polite in such a situation; I wouldn't be nasty to the agent. Anyways, the agent can always say no.

If enough people do this the airlines might get the message and complain to the TSA. I should dream on...

I'll dream right along with you. It's so nice to be out of the US for a few years. Aviation security is so much more civilized. No that's not true. It's just that the agents don't slouch quite as much.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:55 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 33):
If you're on a fully refundable ticket, the new fare will likely be the same as the old one, plus there will probably be no change fee. Even if it's not a refundable ticket, how would creating a new ticket lose the airline money? It would consume a few minutes of the agent's time; that's it.

Actually, this is quite a time consuming task. I don't see any agent doing this.

Sorry, but if you get flagged you get flagged. I will most certainly not try and remove it (not sure this is possible). If you want to fly someone else, by all means.

As far as non-reving, it seemed like we got flagged a lot. I HATED IT! Good thing I could by-pass security.
What gets measured gets done.

Analog

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:00 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 38):
As far as non-reving, it seemed like we got flagged a lot. I HATED IT! Good thing I could by-pass security.

I thought that employees flying for personal travel had to go through security like everyone else.

AirframeAS

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:22 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 33):
If you're on a fully refundable ticket, the new fare will likely be the same as the old one...

I diagree with you. The walk-up (same day flying) fares would be much, much more expensive than you think.... Is it cost benefitual, I think not. Besides, who would want to do that anyway? That would be.......................... weird.

domokun

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:06 am

SSSS....

Seems like a useless designation when the people performing security screening are by and large useless. They could stamp it on your forehead and you are still likely to get through with a weapon if you really know how to hide it. Of course, all it really does is inconvenience people who are actually trying to get somewhere.

SSSStupid.

Starlionblue

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Quoting Domokun (Reply 41):
SSSS....

Seems like a useless designation when the people performing security screening are by and large useless. They could stamp it on your forehead and you are still likely to get through with a weapon if you really know how to hide it. Of course, all it really does is inconvenience people who are actually trying to get somewhere.

SSSStupid.

Don't get me started.  Wink I'll just post this link as usual: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=2459.

Analog

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:28 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 40):
I diagree with you. The walk-up (same day flying) fares would be much, much more expensive than you think..

I have purchased full Y fares and am fully aware of the cost. For my current airline of choice (CO), domestic Y fares tend to be about 3-5 times the discounted coach price.

I don't recall seeing many fully-refundable tickets with advance purchase restrictions, though I've seen refundable fares with penalties on international flights, but those didn't have advance purchase restrictions either.

iairallie

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Cany anyone shed any light on what AA's motivations might be here ? My friend is royally ticked at them and I doubt he can get a straight story from enquiring at AA.

I'm not sure why he is upset with AA. Is there any reason he might feel he was singled out? It seems unlikely that two seperate agents would have some sort of personal beef against someone they've never met before and interacted with for less than 5 minutes. Unless your friend has a really nasty attitude towards agents there is no reason to belive the agents flagged him.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

lincoln

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:09 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 31):
nor do I typically buy full fare tickets.

For what it's worth, the mere fact that it's full fare doesn't mean you're going to get flagged. All of my business travel is full fare (Y-class)... CO loves me because my ticket price [for business] averages something like $1.64 per flown mile (I've spent $6k on four CLE-RIC round trips in the past year)... anyway: I do usually book at least a week or so in advance, but rarely manage to fly a reservation as originally ticketed.

Even with, in some cases multiple same-day changes, the only time I've been flagged was when CO rebooked me on a NW flight that was departing essentially right then...but I was already through security, so it didn't matter,

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

AirframeAS

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:46 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 43):
I have purchased full Y fares and am fully aware of the cost. For my current airline of choice (CO), domestic Y fares tend to be about 3-5 times the discounted coach price

I dunno where you are buying your last minute, same day flying tickets, but those tickets cost a fortune!! More along the lines of a $800-$1,050.

Analog

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:45 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 46):
I dunno where you are buying your last minute, same day flying tickets, but those tickets cost a fortune!! More along the lines of a $800-$1,050.

IAH-northeast. Advance purchase is usually $150 each way (ballpark), usually requiring a r/t purchase. Full fare is $350-600 each way. Heck, even TATL is not more than 3-6 times the min fare. For CO, H-class ($100 fee for refund) is ~$800 one way, full Y-class is ~$1600 one way. The cheapest fare (L) is ~$260 one-way (r/t required). That's a factor of 6 from cheapest to most expensive. I stand by my statement that full-fare is 3-6 times more than discount coach.

Camohe

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:23 am

I'm an Australian citizen living in Australia and have flown on five domestic United States flights in the past 2 years on AA and US when visiting. All were booked in either A or F class, paid by Amex, and booked by Amex here in Sydney as part of my return international booking. EVERY flight I got the SSSS and a thorough going-over by the TSA. I now avoid domestic flights in the US as much as possible.

litz

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 pm

The one and only time I got SSSSed was when CO rebooked me on NW for a flight leaving in less than 20 minutes. It didn't matter though, since I was already in the sterile area.

Was once on a AA flight from McAllen, TX to Dallas ... and then onward from there back to ATL.

DFW flight was hugely delayed and, since apparently nobody flies from McAllen to Dallas, every single passenger on the full flight was connecting somewhere and we'd all missed our connections.

AA had a good half dozen agents waiting in the boarding area holding sheafs of new boarding passes for our new connecting flights.

Every single BP was marked SSSS ... 136 seats, 136 pax, 136 SSSS's ...

(we, of course, were already past security so it was totally meaningless)

- litz