usair320

Southwest Crew Schedual Question.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:19 pm

I just got back from SDF on WN 806 which was routed TPA-SDF-MDW-DEN-ABQ-PHX-BUR. I was only on the SDF-MDW-DEN-ABQ portion but I did notice a crew change in DEN but it was only 2:00 (I imagine they took a brief rest before flying again due to FAA regs) so did they probally go elsewhere? Also on the way out my flight was WN 87 from ABQ-DAL-STL-SDF-TPA-PBI with a change in STL (Was an ABQ originator). Maybe some WN employees can help with my question.

pilotpip

RE: Southwest Crew Schedual Question.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:53 pm

I'm not with SWA but swapping crews/aircraft is not uncommon. I've been in as many as four aircraft in one day.

If the crew was done for the day, they were going to head to the hotel. There's no such thing as a "brief"rest.
DMI

mark5388916

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Wait till OPNL shows up, hes a WN dispatcher, he can fill you in.

Mark
I Love ONT and SNA, the good So Cal Airports! URL Removed as required by mod

barney captain

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:16 pm

We generally stay with the same a/c all day - but 1 or 2 plane changes are not uncommon. We basically have AM and PM trips - start @ dawn, finish in the afternoon, or start in the afternoon and finish @ 10-11pm. This is VERY general and can vary quite a bit, but as the a/c works its way through the day, any number of crews get plugged in along the way to make the schedule flow. I can remember flying 6 legs in the same a/c, only to go through 3 sets of FA's. It's a dance that requires A LOT of work and when you throw weather, mechanicals, and work regulations in to the mix, it gets interesting very fast. A crew schedulers job is not an easy one.
Southeast Of Disorder

RJFlyer0891

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:16 am

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 1):
There's no such thing as a "brief"rest.

Sure there is, when we reassign you to additional flying with a 2-3 hour sit at the airport!  duck 

Dufo

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 am

There's no such thing as a "brief"rest.

In a way, there is - split duty. Anywhere between 2h59m and 10h59m of break between the flights.
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

peterpuck

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting Dufo (Reply 5):
In a way, there is - split duty. Anywhere between 2h59m and 10h59m of break between the flights

At least in Canada, a split duty day requires a minimum rest period of 4 hrs in a suitable accommodation for proper rest. A break at the airport doesn't count.

Dufo

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Quoting PeterPuck (Reply 6):
At least in Canada, a split duty day requires a minimum rest period of 4 hrs in a suitable accommodation for proper rest. A break at the airport doesn't count.

From our OM..

A suitable accommodation will be provided in case that the period of break is 4 hours and more or if
break of 3 and more hours coincides into time between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. of the local time in place
of break. In other cases adequate facilities must be provided.

So it depends. And I agree, spending those hours at the airport is useless rest..
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

pilotpip

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Quoting Dufo (Reply 5):

In a way, there is - split duty. Anywhere between 2h59m and 10h59m of break between the flights.

I don't consider stand-up rest periods (continuous duty overnights) to be rest periods.
DMI

luv2cattlecall

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:52 am

If the crew was done for the day, they were going to head to the hotel. There's no such thing as a "brief"rest.

Jw, when do the crew eat lunch, especially with WN's tight turns?

Aaron747

Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:19 am

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 9):

It's called "the Burrito dash". Every seasoned crew has a failsafe takeout option nearest the company gates in just about any airport with decent offerings  Wink On a 30 minute turn there should be enough time to grab a burrito, in theory.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

WNCrew

Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:24 am

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 9):

We rarely have time (FA's) to leave the plane and if the pilots don't offer (most do) then we don't get to eat. It was difficult for a while with some complicated FAR interpretation issues we've had regarding minimum crew, but it'll change back in a few days and one FA will be able to make a food run occasionally. Of course if we're experiencing IROP then it can be a long time before you eat any real food.

I personally try to bring a food-bag with lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, pasts, bread... good stuff to snack on and stay healthy!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

LASoctoberB6

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:20 am

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 11):
with lots of fruits

Why? So you can gas up the plane?! And I'm not talking about fuel either! jk jk  laughing 
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}