pilotboi

Adverse Roll On Asymmetrical Seating

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:46 pm

I often wonder - does using an asymmetrical seating layout cause an adverse roll? For example on the DC9/MD80/B717 series, with 2+3 or 3+2, having a whole "column" of people on one side of the CG. It's not a large arm, but it's a lot of weight. And if it makes a difference - is there anything in place to compensate? For example, built in aileron trim or something similar.

wilco737

RE: Adverse Roll On Asymmetrical Seating

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:38 pm

You dont feel much of that! As you said the arm is too short to be very significant...
Yes, you have aileron trim...

Even on a Cargo airplane (with way more load than on passenger flights) you can have a huge amount of difference between the left and the right part and you still dont really feel it during flying...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

pilotboi

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:57 am

After rereading my question, I realize it was silly to ask if they had aileron trim. Of course, I knew that. I guess what I was implying, was actual built in differences in the ailerons per side. But I guess with it being so small, even if there is a moment, it can be countered with some trim.

Starlionblue

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:15 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 2):
Of course, I knew that. I guess what I was implying, was actual built in differences in the ailerons per side. But I guess with it being so small, even if there is a moment, it can be countered with some trim.

The asymmetry is so small it's insignificant in practice. Even 30 pax and some bags slightly to one side won't have an impact given the weight of freight, checked bags, fuel, engines, wings and fuselage.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo