luisca

Can Pilots Of Foreign Airlines Jumpseat In USA

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:22 pm

I am considering taking a Job with Copa Airlines in the near future and have not been able to determine whether or not I would be able to jumpseat on US airlines like the regionals here in the US.

Copa is very secretive about the benefits untill you actually start working for them, so I havent been able to find out through them.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

LAXintl

RE: Can Pilots Of Foreign Airlines Jumpseat In USA

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:25 pm

No.... one must work for a certificated US air carrier or some of the Canadian ones like Air Canada.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

andz

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:12 pm

I have to admit that jump seating, as much as I enjoy it, would be pretty far down the list of benefits I would worry about before joining an airline. If you can it is a bonus, if not, I hope the pay is good!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

pilotpip

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:33 pm

If you are worried about riding for free it shouldn't be a problem. Many carriers have reciporical agreements with their foriegn codeshares. You just can't ride in the cockpit because you're not part of the CASS system.
DMI

luisca

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 3):

If you are worried about riding for free it shouldn't be a problem. Many carriers have reciporical agreements with their foriegn codeshares. You just can't ride in the cockpit because you're not part of the CASS system.

Cool, thats basically what I want to do, I want to live in the US but my base will be PTY.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

modesto2

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):
No.... one must work for a certificated US air carrier or some of the Canadian ones like Air Canada.

Agreed. Airlines have specific jumpseat agreements with other carriers. As far as I know, these are limited to U.S. airlines and Air Canada. There may be a few other exceptions...for example, I've had friends jumpseat on Eva Air between EWR and SEA.

dispatchguy

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:53 pm

No

There is an interpretation somewhere that in order to ride as af flight deck jumpseater, your airline must be a certificate holder under FAR 121.

FAR 129 air carriers, by definition, are not certificate holders under 121; so I would say no, as a 129 air carrier employee, even if you hold an FAA airman's certificate, you would be unable to travel in the flight deck jumpseat.

Plus, non-121 air carriers arent CASS;
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

thegreatchecko

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am

Quoting Dispatchguy (Reply 6):
Plus, non-121 air carriers arent CASS

Not exactly true...there are plenty of 135 carriers in CASS. Air Cargo Carriers is a good example. Also, numerous "small time" 135 operators in Alaska are in CASS as well.

[Edited 2008-01-23 16:01:16]
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

DashTrash

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:11 am

I was on the j/s committee at my regional, and there were a few foreign airlines on the reciprocal list. KLM and Cathay were two that I remember seeing.

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:35 am

Amazing to hear this.
Currently out here,there is no such facility for crew of another airline to jump seat in the country.Jumpseat is limited to only the company crew.
Out here
On freighters it can include licenced personnell like Engineers,Crew,FDOs,Mgrs travelling on official duty if their names are included in the Company's permitted to fly official list.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

dispatchguy

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:50 am

Yeah, I do stand corrected on the 135 CASS carrier part. I was typing fast...

I also have seen foreign carriers on the recip list, but I would bet that they are cabin seat required; and now with CASS being the rule, I doubt that those carriers are CASS. My guess is that those air carriers crewmembers can still travel like a jumpseater, but in a cabin seat.

I remember, probably 8-10 years ago, that an interpretation of 121.547 was issued, and it said that a crewmember of a FAR 129 air carrier (foreign air carriers) is ineligible for jumpseat travel (in the actual JS), since a 129 air carrier isnt a "certificate holder" as defined by the regs, even if that pilot holds an FAA-issued airman's certificate. Now I cant find that interpretation on the FAA website.

This was way prior to 9/11, and back then, jumpseating meant in the actual seat; not as a cabin rider.

DS
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!