Jawed
Topic Author

Pilots: What If You Have A Bad Day?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:39 am

Everyone has a bad day occasionally. Maybe you just couldn't fall asleep, as hard as you tried, and you only got two hours. Or maybe you just wake up in the morning with a head ache, and it won't go away after a couple of tylenols. If that happens to me, as a cubicle monkey, the worst thing that can happen is that I doze off while coding at work.

But if you're an airline pilot, the worst thing that could happen is... much worse. So really, if you wake up just feeling not your best, and are supposed to fly 400 passengers for 8-hours, what do you do? Can you just call in sick that morning? As a passenger I would prefer the pilot not showing up than the pilot flying while he's feeling less than perfect.

Realistically speaking I'm surprised no-show pilots doesn't happen more often.

[Edited 2008-01-20 20:41:17]

futurecaptain

RE: Pilots: What If You Have A Bad Day?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:06 am

Quoting Jawed (Thread starter):

You probably just dont notice it since airlines keep relief crews on call just in case someone does call in sick. This way the planes stay pretty much ontime.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Max Q

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:30 am

Welcome to life as a professional pilot.

Unless you are genuinely debilitated you just do your job, this is not general aviation, there are times you simply have to perform at your best while feeling your worst.

You do your best to stay in shape physically, but there are times when you simply will not be able to get as much sleep as you want to, or eat properly or just might not be doing that great, mentally or physically.

I can tell you this with a certainty, especially in long haul, if we all waited until we felt great to fly, there would not be much service !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

PhilSquares

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:41 am

So really, if you wake up just feeling not your best, and are supposed to fly 400 passengers for 8-hours, what do you do? Can you just call in sick that morning? As a passenger I would prefer the pilot not showing up than the pilot flying while he's feeling less than perfect.

Welcome to the world of long haul flying! There are times where you won't be able to sleep, if you do sleep it won't be enough. You'll be tired and you will feel just not yourself. That's what it feels like after doing 12+ hours, going to the hotel and leaving with a minimum rest layover. It's part of the job and you just adjust.

Now, if you are genuinelly sick, then you use sick leave and just call in sick for the trip and let crew scheduling sort it out.
Fly fast, live slow

PiedmontINT

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:18 am

I wonder how often (and what happens) if a pilot calls in sick while overseas. I know they have relief pilots that take over mid-flight to remain legal, but if "starting" pilot is sick, who relieves the relief pilot?

flyinTLow

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:52 am

It is important how you judge yourself and your performance. If there is any doubt that you will be able to perform the way it is necessary, it is a safety item and no airline in this world should ever begin to lay consequences on you for that decision.
And yes, there are different standby crews around. Normally any airline has crews on a 1-hour standby, meaning they have to be able to be at the airport within 60 minutes and ready to go in case someone gets sick, stuck in traffic, car accident, etc.
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

PhilSquares

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:06 am

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 4):
I wonder how often (and what happens) if a pilot calls in sick while overseas.

Doesn't happen too often, but you get to see crew scheduling rob Peter to pay Paul. If you can give enough notice, they can always shuffle people around from different destinations. And as a last resort, they cancel the flight until they can staff the flight.
Fly fast, live slow

RJFlyer0891

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 am

I wonder how often (and what happens) if a pilot calls in sick while overseas. I know they have relief pilots that take over mid-flight to remain legal, but if "starting" pilot is sick, who relieves the relief pilot?

Don't you remember Otto, the inflatable auto-pilot from Airplane!

ADXMatt

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:16 pm

If overseas the flight could be delayed as they position in a pilot from somewhere else. A US carrier Airline X has alot of European departures may keep a relief crew on standby in a central location and fly them where they may be needed. A few hour delay waiting for them to arrive is better then a cancelation.

If you have a 3 or 4 person crew due to the length of the flight you may be able to start towards your dest and land short to pick up a new crew. i.e. NRT-EWR 4 person crew 1 is sick. 3 person crew flies NRT-CLE (just under 12hours) then pick up new 2 pilot crew for CLE-EWR) Hour or 90min delay is better then a cancelation.

It doesn't happen that often but it does happen. Same with a Flight Attendants. However with the F/A many times the flight is staffed over the FAR minimum and you can go with 1 less. If you can't you have the same issues.

Rj111

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:22 pm

When i went for an aptitude test for a pilot course i got 4 hours sleep (probably due to nerves) and was absolutely shattered the next day. I was so tired i couldn't figure out how to operate the coffee machine and during the first round of the test i was all over the place.

But by some miracle i manage to pass the test. So it must be possible to fly whilst having an off day, just like it's possible to work on an off day, in an office job ect.

September11

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:33 pm

One time, I boarded an early bird NW DC9 flight from CMH to DTW. To make it short, the pilot woke up feeling ill and said he prefers not to fly. The gate agent announced that the pilot is not feeling good and that they will find a pilot. The whole crew came on on time. Northwest put another pilot from later flight on my flight. My flight was delayed for like 15 minutes. I am not sure as what happened to the other flight NW took the pilot off and put on my flight.
Airliners.net of the Future

ZakHH

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:45 pm

I remember a flight back in 1995, with LH from LAX to FRA. I was sitting with friends at the gate already, when I decided to do some last-minute shopping.

A couple of meters away from the gate the LH crew had gathered. Just when I went past them, their captain showed up, and he did not look well at all. He was booming at the F/A's: "Gals, if any of you thought about quitting, maybe now would be a good time to do so. I feel like shit today!" Made me look very forward to my flight... Big grin

After boarding, we were greeted from the cockpit: "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, this is your First Officer speaking. I will be flying you out of Los Angeles today...". I grinned and thought: "And I know why..."  Smile
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

loggat

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Reminds me of something I heard once...

If the pilot messes up, the pilot dies

If the controller messes up, the pilot dies

If the mechanic messes up, the pilot dies

Can't really afford to have a bad day, I suppose.

There are 2 ways to make a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no-one knows what they are.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.

highflyer9790

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:00 pm

How many sick/personal days does a pilot get per year? or is it per bid period? i would think they have a much more genorous allowance considering their need to be alert?

Max777geek

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Quoting Loggat (Reply 12):
There are 2 ways to make a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no-one knows what they are.

Chuck Norris does.  laughing 

FlyASAGuy2005

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:10 pm

But if you're an airline pilot, the worst thing that could happen is... much worse. So really, if you wake up just feeling not your best, and are supposed to fly 400 passengers for 8-hours, what do you do? Can you just call in sick that morning? As a passenger I would prefer the pilot not showing up than the pilot flying while he's feeling less than perfect.

To be totally honest, from your line of thought, you will be surprised as to how many pilots feel like shit and they are flying you around. Or they just had an argument with their wife and now they are on their way to take you from Atlanta- LAX. It happens, and we are all human. You just have to make that choice on weather you feel you are capable to fly. When I was working for Acey in Atlanta, I became friends with a lot of pilots there, especially the guys on the ATR's and CR7s. Let me tell you, they have issues! Sometimes when I am sitting on the pushback LEKTRO with the headset on, the captain/FO will be telling me stories on what happened the night before, how much of a bitch the F/A is, etc. Just things you have to deal with in life.

My father is a heavy captain with CO and although we do not live together anymore as a family, I do remember the days when we were together and he would leave the house in the morning and I knew he wasn't his best but he always said he had a job to do. If it was bad enough, he would stay home, but that wasn't too often.
What gets measured gets done.

Max777geek

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 15):
Or they just had an argument with their wife

Uh, traveling a lot helps quite right in many ways..

thegreatchecko

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:28 pm

It's a job like any other. Of course there are moments of sheer beauty and exhilaration, but at the end of the day, we all have job's to do and that is to safely transport your passengers or cargo to their destination and go home at the end of the day. Maybe if you are lucky you get a decent amount of rest in between and a respectable paycheck every few weeks.

For example, I'm sitting in a hotel right now drinking a ton of water because I'm not at 100% due to dehydration. I know that in three or so hours I'll be driving the bus back to the hub and I have to be up for it. If I was truly sick, yes I'd probably call in, but unless I know I can't do my job in a safe and professional manner, I will not do it. I will do everything I can to solve the problem before I'd go and drop an outstation sick call (or any sick call, really) on the folks in crew scheduling.

Like any other job, we are expected to show up on time and ready to do what we are paid for.

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 15):
Sometimes when I am sitting on the pushback LEKTRO with the headset on, the captain/FO will be telling me stories on what happened the night before, how much of a bitch the F/A is, etc. Just things you have to deal with in life.

How true it is! Thankfully I'm with a pretty awesome crew and that makes all the difference.

That is one advantage of being on reserve, you aren't with the same crew all month long. Therefore, if you get a bad group, you don't have to deal with them for weeks on end.

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

thegreatchecko

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:37 pm

Quoting Loggat (Reply 12):
Reminds me of something I heard once...

If the pilot messes up, the pilot dies

If the controller messes up, the pilot dies

If the mechanic messes up, the pilot dies

Can't really afford to have a bad day, I suppose.

AND the accident report will find that it was caused by "pilot error."  Angry
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

FlyASAGuy2005

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Quoting Max777geek (Reply 16):
Uh, traveling a lot helps quite right in many ways..

Come again? Well let me respond to the way I interpreted it...

Not necessarily my friend. Not if you just left Atlanta and your overnight is in Boston with your girlfriend (bear in mind you have a wife in Atlanta  Big grin ). My my, how air travel has changed. Does stuff like that still happen?

aogdesk

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:01 pm

If a pilot has a really bad day, he/she can just take it out on the mechanics  Wink

Relax!!!!! Its a joke!!  Smile

mav75

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 8):
If you have a 3 or 4 person crew due to the length of the flight you may be able to start towards your dest and land short to pick up a new crew. i.e. NRT-EWR 4 person crew 1 is sick. 3 person crew flies NRT-CLE (just under 12hours) then pick up new 2 pilot crew for CLE-EWR) Hour or 90min delay is better then a cancelation.

Didn't that actually happen on CAL 2 or 3 years ago?

DC8FriendShip

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:02 pm

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 20):
If a pilot has a really bad day, he/she can just take it out on the mechanics

My attitude is, the worse you want it, the worse you get it. so maybe we should all get along.  Smile
Come fly the Friendly Skies of United

CosmicCruiser

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:28 pm

If you have a 3 or 4 person crew due to the length of the flight you may be able to start towards your dest and land short to pick up a new crew. i.e. NRT-EWR 4 person crew 1 is sick. 3 person crew flies NRT-CLE (just under 12hours) then pick up new 2 pilot crew for CLE-EWR) Hour or 90min delay is better then a cancelation

Ohhhh, that would be devious, or illegal depending on your ops policies. To fly just under 12 hrs THEN add the 4th pilot for a 1 hr leg would completely negate the reason for the fourth pilot in the first place. We see that some and it's always contested. They add the 3rd pilot because it's over 8 hrs but it's actually 2 legs of less than 8 each. Totally useless as far as rest periods go which is what the extra guy is for in the first place.

Quoting DC8FriendShip (Reply 22):
My attitude is, the worse you want it, the worse you get it. so maybe we should all get along

You're right but you can always count on the 5% rule. 5% won't be happy no matter what.

aogdesk

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Quoting DC8FriendShip (Reply 22):
My attitude is, the worse you want it, the worse you get it. so maybe we should all get along. Smile

You've got that right. Its unfortunate how flight crew/mx crew relations have suffered at many carriers over the years. When we all get along, things are pretty good!!

lowrider

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:51 pm

When deciding I am fit to fly, I try to consider if I could pass a sim check. If I would call in sick for a checkride, then I would call in sick for the flight. By sick I don't just mean the flu either. If I am too fatigued or otherwise unfit to fly, I use sick time. Same if I get injured. An example would be the morning I found out my step father died. It was about 4 hours to show time, and I got a call saying he had passed sometime during the night. After thinking about it, I decided I was way too distracted to start a 4 day and called in. All that said, I try and stay healthy so I don't have to call in excessively. I usually average 1 sick call per year.
Proud OOTSK member

GRZ-AIR

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:39 pm

As a professional, if you don't feel fit to fly, and you still go flying, you break the law.

Being exhausted, tired, emotionally upset is all part of the job. The important part is being able to focus on safely operating an aircraft.

As we are humans, the first important step is to accept that we are prone to making mistakes. You might not make any mistakes on a normal line flight, but you could still be in a mental or physical situation that would have you mess up an emergency.

I always think to myself, "am I fit enough for an emergency"? If yes, I go to work. If no, I call in sick.

For me, it is a vital part of good airmanship to never abuse the right to stay home for something that would not truly require it. What that could be may of course vary on a subjective basis, but in the end, you know quite well that some people take it lightly, staying home because they just "stayed up to late", while others who couldn't sleep will rightfully do the same.

Now, after a 14 hour, multiple sector day, transporting 200 people around, I will got to bed  Wink

Regds,
J.
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

JAGflyer

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:07 pm

What happens if a pilot is on layover in a foreign country (without a crew base or back up crew) and he feels ill? Would the airline cancel the flight? If not, what would they do in this situation?
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 27):
What happens if a pilot is on layover in a foreign country (without a crew base or back up crew) and he feels ill? Would the airline cancel the flight? If not, what would they do in this situation?

Pretty much hit that nail on the head.

Quoting Max777geek (Reply 14):
Chuck Norris does.

You damn right. As a matter of fact, Chuck Norris doesn't really land the plane. He just brings it to a nice comfortable pre-stall speed, reaches out the window and pulls the runway towards the mains.

flyf15

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 pm

Many many pilots, especially those at regional airlines, are so threatened by management that you will find many flying sick, fatigued/tired, or in emotional/mental distress.

One airline allows less than 1 week of sick time per year or the pilots may be terminated or otherwise disciplined. Thats only two 4 day trips... in an entire year.

Every single fatigue call requires a rather threatening office visit with the assistant chief pilot. Too bad that you were in a hotel room for only 6 hours after a 15 hour day, you were right next to the runway with cargo planes flying over all night, and then were expected to fly another 14 hour day.

Just had a fight with the wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend? Had some other serious life event (thats not an emergency).... and you're going to get no sympathy from the company.

Fact is, with the way regional pilots are treated and paid, nobody wants the job anymore. They can't staff the airlines and complete flights on normal days, much less if pilots actually did their federally required duty to not fly when sick, fatigued, or distressed. Therefore, they result to threats and stiff handed polices in order to keep the cockpit filled. I personally encourage my coworkers to call in sick if I notice something is wrong, but usually I met with a response along the lines of "I can't... I've already called in sick twice this year and I just can't risk it".

I once had a flight attendant who was throwing up from food poisoning in the terminal bathroom 15 minutes before boarding and still insisted she was ok to go. Apparently when she called crew scheduling, she was transferred to her manager and told something along the lines of "If you can't go, that flight is going to cancel, and 50 people are going to be stranded and not get to their meetings or see their families, and we can't have flight attendants who are stranding passengers, can we?" A pilot-in-command decision was made and we took care of things for her.

To all the passengers out there... maybe sometime you're on a regional aircraft, ask your crew how long they've been working that day and how much rest they got last night. You might be surprised. To all the crewmembers out there... fly legal and fly safe, I might be in the back of your airplane.

barney captain

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:31 pm

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 29):
Every single fatigue call requires a rather threatening office visit with the assistant chief pilot.

That's insane - and clearly against the spirit of the FAR's. Here at WN, we have a no questions asked fatigue policy - I would hope that policy is standard in the industry - but maybe not.

This has always been good guidance:

I llness
M edication
S tress
A lcohol
F atigue
E motion
Southeast Of Disorder

pilotpip

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:57 pm

You might have had to do the carpet dance at my old workplace but they were understanding if it were a legitimate situation and you could explain it as such.
DMI

thegreatchecko

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting Barney Captain (Reply 30):

That's insane - and clearly against the spirit of the FAR's. Here at WN, we have a no questions asked fatigue policy - I would hope that policy is standard in the industry - but maybe not.

One of the many reasons Southwest has some of the best pilot QOL in the industry...

We all unfortunately don't have the same luxuries..

airportugal310

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:52 am

I am flying out of HPN in February on a Shuttle America flight that leave at 750am.

According to Delta, the inbound flight arrives from ATL the night before at 1158p....assuming no delays....

By the time the crew gets to a hotel its midnight...and (ASSUMING same crew) then they have to show at like 7a...

is that a short amount of rest?
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

stratosphere

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:25 am

It happens a lot. They are called "illegals" or "high speeds" by flight crews. I don't really know the particulars I guess each airline has their own rules as do the f/a and pilot unions if they have one. But I do remember when I worked for NW there are some who like to work those kind of flights.

pilotpip

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:35 am

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 33):
I am flying out of HPN in February on a Shuttle America flight that leave at 750am.

According to Delta, the inbound flight arrives from ATL the night before at 1158p....assuming no delays....

By the time the crew gets to a hotel its midnight...and (ASSUMING same crew) then they have to show at like 7a...

You're assuming alot there. It's likely not the same crew as that would make it a standup/highspeed/continuous-duty overnight (depending on what your company calls it). Given that that is a 3 hour or so leg you will more than likely have a fresh crew because you'd be pushing duty limitations pretty quickly.
DMI

cancidas

Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:16 am

regardless of how bad a day you've had, NEVER NEVER NEVER take it out on your airplane. they can make bad turn to worse if mistreated...  Wink
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

flyf15

Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:35 am

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 33):

Our minimum required rest (when under reduced rest regulations) is 8 hours off duty. This starts 15 minutes after the cabin door opens (ie: roughly about when we're walking off the plane) and ends 30 minutes before departure time (ie: as we're getting ready to bring pax onboard).

It is definitely not 8 hours of "rest". Its just 8 hours off duty. In this 8 hours, I must.... Pack up my things, walk off the airplane, wait for the hotel van to show up, ride the hotel van (up to 20 minutes or so), check into hotel, get to my room, eat dinner (I usually bring microwavable food with me, otherwise... walk to a nearby restaurant if something is open for a quick bite), relax a bit and get ready for bed, sleep in an unfamiliar bed, wake up, get ready for the day, eat breakfast (either cereal or something I've brought or breakfast in the hotel if they have it), ride the hotel van to the airport, walk through the terminal, go through security, proceed to the gate, and board the aircraft.

I usually subtract 4 hours from my "rest" to how much sleep I can plan on getting. So, for 8 hour reduced rest, I'll get about 4 hours of sleep. This is commonly smashed between two 12-14 hour duty days.

There is also another way to go about it, which was mentioned above... continuous duty overnights. This is where you report for work late in the evening (maybe around 8pm), fly to your destination, remain on duty all night, fly back in the morning, and released into rest during the day at your base (maybe around 9am). As you are technically on duty through the night, you have no required rest. Your required rest period occurs during the day. The only rules for this are what your union manages to negotiate for you... such as a minimum time on the ground (maybe 4-6 hours) or a maximum number of legs (some airlines fly 2 legs, 4 hour break from 1am till 5am, and then 2 legs or something along those lines). These are worst if you're a reserve pilot and they are constantly switching you back and forth... one day you do a normal trip then the next day you do a CDO where they magically expect you to switch your sleep schedule 12 hours. After doing 4 or 5 continuous duty overnights in a row, you feel like a complete zombie. It is not safe.

FARs on rest were designed decades ago and nobody really intended on them for to be the goal of efficiency based regional carriers, they were just supposed to be meant an ultimate worst case minimum. Regionals, with their problems attracting pilots, have turned FAR minimums into their goal for efficient schedule construction and it is just flat out not safe. The airlines aren't going to voluntarily give crews more rest, and the unions in recent years have been left almost completely powerless to negotiate better rules for individual airlines. The FARs need to change.

wilco737

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:38 pm

Well, as a Cargo pilot it is a requirement to be tired when going to work Big grin Big grin Just kidding...

If I dont feel well, I call in sick of course! But not getting enough sleep... Well, with all that long haul flying and jetlag, you dont get as much sleep as you actually want to... Even if you had enough sleep, when you work at night or into the night (12 hours) then you get tired and then you cannot sleep as well! So at one point you always get tired  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

airportugal310

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 pm

Thanks for the educated responses.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

MQTmxguy

Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:21 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 20):
If a pilot has a really bad day, he/she can just take it out on the mechanics

Relax!!!!! Its a joke!!

The trouble is it's true!

Pilot: "I'm pissed, so I'm gonna punch every button in this mother as many times as I have to untill I get an EICAS warning and I can write it up in the AML, muwahahaha!"
Well at least we can all take comfort in the fact that NW will never retire their DC-9s

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:26 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 38):
Well, as a Cargo pilot it is a requirement to be tired when going to work

On the Freighter it would be more boring.When you look accross & see the same face for hrs  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

wilco737

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:18 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 41):
On the Freighter it would be more boring.When you look accross & see the same face for hrs Smile
regds
MEL

Well, how often do you actually see a F/A in the cockpit during flight?! Not too often! so you see the same face as well all the time! And 99% of the pilots at LH Cargo are great, so nothing bad here... I enjoy it!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

CosmicCruiser

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm

Quoting MQTmxguy (Reply 40):
The trouble is it's true!

Pilot: "I'm pissed, so I'm gonna punch every button in this mother as many times as I have to untill I get an EICAS warning and I can write it up in the AML, muwahahaha!"

Nah, if it's true at all it's the 5% that I spoke of earlier.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 38):
Even if you had enough sleep, when you work at night or into the night (12 hours) then you get tired and then you cannot sleep as well! So at one point you always get tired

That's true and for us we can go around the world in a min of 9 or 10 days with only 1 long layover to "reset" your clock. It can be difficult and sometimes no matter how hard you try you can't get quality sleep. Then there's other trips that can go half way around then reverse course and come back. However the co. does take safety very seriously and any fatigue call is addressed no matter where in the flight you are. Of course an exception would be something like after a 79 hr. layover in Paris you call in "fatigued" and can't fly the next leg. That wouldn't float.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 41):
On the Freighter it would be more boring.When you look accross & see the same face for hrs

I can't agree here. As Wilco said most guys/girls are great to fly with and the only boring part is just the long hours between t/o and ldg. Considering what I've seen and the stories I've heard I'm just as happy not having a bunch of other folks on the jet and one little extra benefit is the ability to "dress down" for the long part and keep your uniform fresh.

MQTmxguy

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 43):
Nah, if it's true at all it's the 5% that I spoke of earlier.

Oh I know, most of em are good guys that try to help us out whenever they can. Doesn't mean it's not still fun to pick on em though.
Well at least we can all take comfort in the fact that NW will never retire their DC-9s

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:57 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 42):
Well, how often do you actually see a F/A in the cockpit during flight

Everytime to ring the bell  Smile

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 42):
And 99% of the pilots at LH Cargo are great, so nothing bad here... I enjoy it!

Thats good to hear & its long haul ops you do.Spoken to crew that operate Small sectors & they do complain that it would be more fun to have a few more persons to talk to.

regds
MEL

wilco737

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:07 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 45):
Everytime to ring the bell Smile

There is no bell for the F/A in our aircraft  Sad And even IF there would be one: no one will answer or will come into the cockpit  cry 

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 45):
Thats good to hear & its long haul ops you do.Spoken to crew that operate Small sectors & they do complain that it would be more fun to have a few more persons to talk to.

Sure, more poeple, more chances to meet nice people Big grin But still: no bitching between F/As all the time, not complaining about passengers, no sick passengers, so quiet Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:32 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 46):

The other day during a Coffee break with some folks from other Pax Airlines,we were comparing how good a Freighter ops can be to a Pax Airline & one of the 1st positives mentioned was "Peacefull"  Smile
Wth no Pax cribbing,Staf know most by 1st name & the stress is def less.
regds
MEL

wilco737

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:34 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 47):
one of the 1st positives mentioned was "Peacefull" Smile

100% agreed!!!!!!!!!  bigthumbsup  unbelievable peaceful on an cargo aircraft...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

CosmicCruiser

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 pm

Quoting MQTmxguy (Reply 44):
Oh I know, most of em are good guys that try to help us out whenever they can. Doesn't mean it's not still fun to pick on em though.

Gotcha, OK here's back at ya, "Ops checks good, no discrpencies found, returned to service". Doooohhhh!!

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 47):
one of the 1st positives mentioned was "Peacefull"
Wth no Pax cribbing,

I had a pax carrier crew tell me this while knocking back a pint on my last trip.