A342
Topic Author

Airbus Targets Life Extension For A320 Family

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:49 pm

Lots of info in this article:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...d-service-life-of-a320-family.html

Quoting Flightglobal:
Airbus is about to begin fatigue tests of full-scale A320 sections as it undertakes a major programme to extend the life of twinjet that could ultimately result in the flight-hour (FH) limit being tripled to 180,000h.

What's your opinion?
Exceptions confirm the rule.

GPIARFF

RE: Airbus Targets Life Extension For A320 Family

Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 pm

While I don't think it's a bad idea, can someone explain the financial reasons for doing this?
Aren't they spending engineering dollars that ultimately will cut their own throat in the replacement market?
Or is their nextgen narrow body so far out beyond Boeings that this will more greatly affect Boeings narrowbody replacement market?
Pa chiye ladan dlo ou bwe ( don't crap in your drinking water )

Dufo

Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:46 pm

After 20 years, few thousand deliveries and many million hours flown, combined with other factors, they sure must know this can be safely done. I personally would not have a problem with flying on 179,998hr A320 as long as it's released into service as prescribed.
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

tdscanuck

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Quoting GPIARFF (Reply 1):
While I don't think it's a bad idea, can someone explain the financial reasons for doing this?
Aren't they spending engineering dollars that ultimately will cut their own throat in the replacement market?

Sort of. The existing fleet of A320's is so large, and the backlog so full, that the old frames may start to run out of life faster than those operators can get replacements. In addition, they're thinking of future customer loyalty for the replacements. If Airbus just cut off existing operators when the service life was up, knowing full well that they could extend it, those operators are far less likely to go back to Airbus for the replacement.

Tom.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:55 pm

I think the As20 will be another 727 and 757 (when the 57 is in it's grandfather stage).
What gets measured gets done.

BWilliams

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:25 pm

Question: do the flight-hour limits only apply to air carriers, or is it a part of the Airworthiness Cert / Type Cert? I ask this because, if the 320s can't get the higher certified life, would it be possible for private individuals to pick them up relatively cheap from airlines who can't legally operate them anymore? Seems like, with so many A320s in service, that could be a lot of planes entering the market within about a decade or so, which would be cheaper to reconfigure in VIP configuration then a new ACJ.
Regards, Brad Williams

A342
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Quoting BWilliams (Reply 5):

I think the answer is no, and no company would be willing to insure such an aircraft anyway.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 6):
I think the answer is no, and no company would be willing to insure such an aircraft anyway.

I also do believe the answer is no.  checkmark 
What gets measured gets done.

BWilliams

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 6):

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 7):
I also do believe the answer is no.

thumbsup 

Thanks for the answer.
Regards, Brad Williams

SEPilot

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Question: do the flight-hour limits only apply to air carriers, or is it a part of the Airworthiness Cert / Type Cert?

I believe that there are inspections that must be carried out that get more rigorous as a plane ages. I do not know if there are any hard and fast life limits, though. There may be certain life limited parts, which if not replaced effectively ground the plane. After the Aloha accident the FAA (and probably other regulatory agencies) paid a LOT more attention to older planes. Actually, it is cycles more than hours that determine an airliner's life, and if it is not airworthy for passenger service it is not airworthy, period.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

ex52tech

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:58 am

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 9):
After the Aloha accident the FAA (and probably other regulatory agencies) paid a LOT more attention to older planes. Actually, it is cycles more than hours that determine an airliner's life, and if it is not airworthy for passenger service it is not airworthy, period

The major problem with ageing aircraft is that no one can predict ALL of the problems that have yet to rear their heads. The older they get the obviously more extensive, expensive, and frequent the inspections and repairs will get.

I watched the DC9 and DC10 fleets encounter problems that many engineers at both the airline and the manufacturer did not anticipate. So new or newer replacements can be the a benefit.

I have a lot of trouble seeing the A320 as robust as the DC9, but time will tell.
"Saddest thing I ever witnessed....an airplane being scrapped"

scarebus03

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:18 pm

It's perfectly normal to extend the service life of an airframe during it's service life. There is now 20 years of performance data to support or discard the possibility of redefining the service life of the A320 series and changing it's type certificate.

This will make the older A320's more attractive for cargo conversions when their pax life is up.

Brgds
SB03
No faults found......................