WestWing
Topic Author

Does VT-ALD (77L) Have Aux Fuel Tanks?

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:01 am

There were reports on A.Net that AI's fourth 777-200LR (VT-ALD) had a delayed delivery because system tests were being conducted at BFI related to the auxiliary fuel tanks (the ones that go in the cargo hold) installed on this aircraft. Can anyone confirm or refute whether or not this is true and whether VT-ALD was delivered with auxiliary fuel tanks installed?
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

himmat01

RE: Does VT-ALD (77L) Have Aux Fuel Tanks?

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:11 am

What you have stated in your post is true.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

WestWing
Topic Author

RE: Does VT-ALD (77L) Have Aux Fuel Tanks?

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Quoting Himmat01 (Reply 1):
What you have stated in your post is true.

Thank you. I have a follow-up question because I assume you have access to a reliable source.

Will the remaining four 772LRs (VT-ALE onwards) also be delivered with the aux fuel tanks?

I am surprised that there has not been more publicity. The AI press release when they received VT-ALD did not mention the increased range (more than the previous -200LRs). Boeing did not issue a press release about the first -200LR delivered with the aux fuel tanks. With the aux tanks, VT-ALD would be the longest range airliner ever in service - one would think that this ought to have been something that both AI and Boeing would have liked to "boast" about - it is good PR.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.