bdak

Great Picture At GIB And Question

Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:44 pm

I saw this fantastic image of a Monarch A320 taking off quite late in the runway at GIB.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/GIB_2007-09-18.jpg

However, I was wondering what the yellow dotted lines that cross the runway at either end are used for. I thought they might be like the markers at LCY, the ones that if you haven't landed before then you must go around. However it's clear from the tyre marks that aircraft land way after these lines.

It's also quite interesting to note that the famous road crossing the runway at GIB will cease to exist soon, after approval for a tunnel under the runway.

[Edited 2008-02-05 15:45:47]

migair54

RE: Great Picture At GIB And Question

Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:54 pm

very nice photo,

i´ve never noticed about these big yellow dots line, i hope someone knows the answer.

these airports is going to lose its personal style without the road crossing the runway.

flyf15

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 am

They denote arresting cable location....

You'll see these, in the US, at many airports that have a military presence. Although, instead marked on each side of the runway with a sign that has a yellow circle on a black background. Not sure about other countries.

Viscount724

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:25 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 2):
They denote arresting cable location....

You'll see these, in the US, at many airports that have a military presence. Although, instead marked on each side of the runway with a sign that has a yellow circle on a black background. Not sure about other countries.

GIB airport is officially an RAF base and is operated by the British military, although no RAF aircraft are permanently based there now.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafgibraltar/

Buyantukhaa

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:30 am

Quoting Bdak (Thread starter):
It's also quite interesting to note that the famous road crossing the runway at GIB will cease to exist soon, after approval for a tunnel under the runway.

Well, it will remain in use for pedestrians and for special occassions, so you'll still be able walk across it.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.